What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » msgr skin

msgr skin
Author: Message:
guanako
Veteran Member

ALbert0

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. msgr skin
how can i install a msn messenger skin only on my user account? im the adminatrator of this pc thanks
[Image: guanako20.png]
07-23-2005 06:19 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: msgr skin
You can't, as all of the MSN Messengers will run from the same destination, if you install a skin on yours, it will be installed on theres also, and the skins are custom made to edit the .exe in C:/Program Files/MSN Messenger, so changing the folder name etc. wouldn't do a thing, I don't know what to mention, other than installing the skin, copying the folder, renaming it, restoring the original msn messenger, and changing all of the shortcuts to the msn messenger you created on your account.

So:

Install the skin you want, this will install it to C:/Program Files/MSN Messenger/. hold down ctrl, highlight the MSN Messenger folder, and drag anywhere else in program files, there should then be another MSN Messenger folder, called "Copy of MSN Messenger":

[Image: skin1.JPG].

Then rename the folder to something like "MSN Skinned". Now go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, and go down to MSN Messenger, press "Change > Repair", that will remove the skin from the MSN Messenger Folder, scroll down and use the other uninstaller to remove the skin. Then go to Start > All Programs, right click the MSN Messenger 7 icon, go to properties, and change the destination of the .exe you want to load, the skin should then work, only on yours...

This post was edited on 07-23-2005 at 06:30 PM by user27089.
07-23-2005 06:24 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
As in... account as in... Hotmail account... or on your account on your pc... if it's on your account on your pc you'd have to download one into your program files, and one onto everybody elses so that you have your own messenger file... If it's all on the same windows account, and just for your MSN account... I don't beleive you can do that.
07-23-2005 06:24 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Well sorry guys thats not correct the process is quite lengthy but it will work.

Install MSN Messenger to the normal directory
Install the skin you wish
Copy the MSN Messenger folder to your My Documents
Reinstall MSN Messenger to overwrite the skin
Change your shortcuts to execute from the MSN Messenger directory in your My Documents.

There you have it. Your own skinned MSN Messenger that no one else will run unless they know about it.
07-23-2005 06:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
guanako
Veteran Member

ALbert0

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: msgr skin
ill try it and let u guys know
07-23-2005 06:28 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
Well sorry guys thats not correct the process is quite lengthy but it will work.

Install MSN Messenger to the normal directory
Install the skin you wish
Copy the MSN Messenger folder to your My Documents
Reinstall MSN Messenger to overwrite the skin
Change your shortcuts to execute from the MSN Messenger directory in your My Documents.

There you have it. Your own skinned MSN Messenger that no one else will run unless they know about it.

That's pretty much what I said, if he is the administrator, which he is, then he can do what he wishes.
07-23-2005 06:47 PM
guanako
Veteran Member

ALbert0

37 / Male / Flag
i got it to work thanks, but how about if i want to install another skin ?do i delete the one from my documents and isntall it to the noraml directory then move it and install aging?
07-23-2005 07:06 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by guanako
i got it to work thanks, but how about if i want to install another skin ?do i delete the one from my documents and isntall it to the noraml directory then move it and install aging?

You will have to go through the entire process again, unless of course at the start of the installation, there is a browse thing, where you find where you install the skin to.
07-23-2005 07:10 PM
guanako
Veteran Member

ALbert0

37 / Male / Flag
ok thanks you guys :D
07-23-2005 07:17 PM
JaymachRalTir

Star Wars Freak

38 / Male / –
RE: RE: msgr skin
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
quote:
Originally posted by guanako

You will have to go through the entire process again, unless of course at the start of the installation, there is a browse thing, where you find where you install the skin to.

Hmm...yeah I really ought add that to my installers again...when I remake them all with much smaller filesizes I think I'll add it back in. :)
07-23-2005 07:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: