What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » PLEASE HELP (randomly changing DP)

PLEASE HELP (randomly changing DP)
Author: Message:
s1980

O.P. PLEASE HELP (randomly changing DP)
Hi

How can I stop MSN Messenger randomly changing my display photo everytime I log on - VERY ANNOYING!

I've been to all the help options and to all the settings but just can't seem to find how you de-activate it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

This post was edited on 07-24-2005 at 10:16 AM by WDZ.
07-24-2005 10:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: PLEASE HELP
In main MSNM screen go to tools > options > security...untick "this is a shared computer so don't store my adressbook, display picture...." (second option in the list).

This post was edited on 07-24-2005 at 10:08 AM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
07-24-2005 10:08 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
s1980

O.P. RE: PLEASE HELP
o.k

but a family member also uses msn on my pc so does that mean, my photo will pop up on hers? how secure will my messages be from them etc etc?
07-24-2005 10:13 AM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: PLEASE HELP
No, your DP will not popup on hers. These settings are stored per account (.NET passport).

If you don't log your conversations there's no way they can know what you've talked about. The logging options are: In MSNM - tools > options > messages ... "automaticly keep a history of my conversations" and in Plus - Plus > preferences > logging ... "automaticly log all my chats by default" (you can encrypt those if you still wish to log: plus > preferences > privacy protection > passwords).

Edit: you're welcome :)

This post was edited on 07-24-2005 at 11:02 AM by Sunshine.
07-24-2005 10:22 AM
s1980

O.P. RE: PLEASE HELP (randomly changing DP)
thank you
07-24-2005 10:40 AM
taz030485

39 / Male / –
RE: PLEASE HELP (randomly changing DP)
I have recently noticed a similar thing happening to me. I turn my computer on of a morning, msn automaticly logs me in and my DP has changed to a previous one, so I change it again, and it randomly changes back again on my next startup. The same thing happens with my PSM, mabye the changes aren't being saved to the registry properly?

I have notice though tha if I sign out of messenger before I shutdown my comp it doesn't do it, but I always just hit my power button and let windows handle everything, close programs, shutdown, power off, etc and don't want to/will forget to have to sign out every time.

Hope someone can help with my problem and maybe'll shead some like on s1980's

Note: I'm the only one who uses my comp and I have the "this is a shared...." unticked
[Image: taz030485.png]
07-25-2005 07:33 AM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: PLEASE HELP (randomly changing DP)
quote:
Originally posted by taz030485
but I always just hit my power button
Hitting the powerbutton to shut down your comp is always the last option (only to be used when your comp is frozen), use start > shut down. Thats the only way to give programs sufficient time to save its settings. Best ofcourse is still to shut down each program individually.

This post was edited on 07-25-2005 at 09:30 AM by Sunshine.
07-25-2005 09:27 AM
taz030485

39 / Male / –
RE: RE: PLEASE HELP (randomly changing DP)
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
quote:
Originally posted by taz030485
but I always just hit my power button
Hitting the powerbutton to shut down your comp is always the last option (only to be used when your comp is frozen), use start > shut down.

When I PRESS the power button it tells windows to shotdown as thats how its configured in the power option (like most pc's nowa days), if I HOLD the power button it forcably turns the pc off.

So it's not a last resort as thats how most pc's work now, kinda said that twice didn't I:P

quote:
Thats the only way to give programs sufficient time to save its settings. Best ofcourse is still to shut down each program individually.
When windows is shutting down shouldn't programs do it when windows closes them.
[Image: taz030485.png]
07-25-2005 09:38 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: