What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Messenger Plus! Future

Pages: (11): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
Messenger Plus! Future
Author: Message:
Joe

35 / Other / Flag
RE: Messenger Plus! Future
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
the forums would still be here for a long time i guess, because people will always need help, wether Plus! has new features or not

I kind of agree that Plus! has too many features, and obviously it's getting harder to create new stuff. As long as you keep it compatible with new versions of MSN, i wouldnt mind but people would be very dissappointed when they notice that their favorite MSN's add on stopped including new features .

* Chrono wonders which kind of project will be next

ditto... well said Banhammer man

The forums will last, as will the community... and people will always mistakenly install the sponsor and many other things like that. I'd like to see Plus! continue, but the well eventually has to run dry I guess.

* Joe also wonders which kind of project will be next :O
[Image: holidayssigei2.jpg]
07-27-2005 05:09 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
I think as much as i like Msgplus Patchou you are indeed correct that it would be better to stop developing on a high note instead of adding useless features as MSN Messenger becomes a better more featured product.

I think you've reached a point where Msgplus has most features that people need? Unless some other people start suggesting features that everyone would like (elsewise it could be done as a plugin)?

Plus i think it would be good for you to start developing other projects which you are interested in :). You can always come back to msgplus for compatibility updates and adding minor features/ correcting errors.

But overall its your choice :), you'll have to see what the users of msgplus think and any possible features a majority of people would find useful - possibly another thread on this?

If you decided to do this i wouldn't even necessarily call this "finishing development" as you'd still be releasing compatibility updates and possibly fixing minor bugs/minor improvements - you'd just be spending less time on Msgplus.
Segosa is newb.
07-27-2005 07:14 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
* Dane wonders if Patchou's ToDo.txt file has been emptied completely.

Anyway, I am currently satisfied with Messenger Plus!'s features, and it has grown a wonderful community as well.  I'd be interested to know what other projects you are considering (AIM Messenger Plus! :O, j/k).  I'd like to see Plus! continue as a Green Product (a.k.a. Still in Development, New features/updates, etc.), but if you feel you need to turn it into a Brown Product (a.k.a. Only compatability updates and fixes) I would understand.  We'd all deal with it.

One of the primary concerns would be that the community would indeed implode like it did in the "Absence of 2001-2002".  Anyway, just my two cents.
07-27-2005 07:29 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
Your primary concern Dane though is about the community not the actual program itself - it will still be widely used and i don't think the community will dissappear. Its Patchou u've got to think about - i'm sure he doesnt' want to spend his entire life coding msgplus! Its his choice, i wouldn't weigh my decisions on the fact that if patchou indeed turns msgplus into a Brown Product then his forums would implode - i'd weigh it on what Patchou really wants to do for himself.
Segosa is newb.
07-27-2005 07:42 AM
user27089
Disabled Account

I would be extremely sad to see that Messenger Plus! has stopped in production, I think there would be a decrease in users on this forum and things, and it would eventually close down, it scares me to think about it lol...

The new beta is great btw
07-27-2005 08:09 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
If the development would stop, I'm sure the community wouldn't die anytime soon. There are far too many bells and whistles in Plus! for people to give up on it just because the development stopped; think about all the other "old" programs that people still use, support will always be needed. Of course the community will shrink a little I suppose...

Anyways, as for Plus! itself, I can live with the current version. Plus! is in a stage where it is "complete" IMHO. Besides some small issues ans some GUI fixes, I don't expect much more from it (hence the surprise each time when there are new features :D). If development would stop after 3.6x I wouldn't be dissapointed at all, unless there is some major stupid bug in it of course :P And I think many people feel the same...

As with all things, life goes on and there are many more things than Messenger Plus! once you step out that door ;) What I mean is, I can perfectly understand that you want to start with other stuff also. And working for the past 4 years non-stop on a single project is something not many people are willing to/can do...

So, if you feel it is time to take a break, or even stop development, that's totally up to you. No hard feelings at all. Plus! has come a long long way and is a very mature product already.

Of course, I do expect a big Plus! farewell party once you decide to quit :P:D

(since Plus! is your child and has matured, maybe it's indeed getting time to kick it out of the house.... so you can make some room for other children (with Fraisie) ;):P)

This post was edited on 07-27-2005 at 08:24 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-27-2005 08:18 AM
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
Well as many others have previously said, Plus! is a great product and I can see your reasoning for wanting to finish off on a high when it's the most popular Messenger add-on around full o fuseful features.

If you want to do stop develpment and work on  a new projects then we will all support you in your new path ( as long as you provide us with periodic updates to Plus! :P)  and I wish you the best of luck in making what must be a difficult decision.
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
07-27-2005 08:36 AM
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
^ read above ^

:P

i basically agree with everyone here so far, that adding a lot of useless crap just because you can is pointless and will only lose popularity. just continue updating it to work with new msn versions and maybe even occasionally surprise us with a new feature :p

and i wish you good luck with your future project(s) whatever they may be, be sure to keep us informed :)
07-27-2005 09:18 AM
einum

Freude am Fahren

49 / Male / –
I agree with most of they who have answered already. MsgPlus! is a really, really great program. I perfectly understand that you have other things to fill your day with, but I indeed hope that there will be compability updates to MsgPlus! as long as MSN Messenger continue to develop. And I also hope that you consider to add new features according to new versions of Messenger, just think of the features that has been added to the last major updates of Messenger, and imagine what could be added in Messenger 8, Messenger 9 and Messenger 10! :D But there is no need to add new features to MsgPlus! just to add new features! :)

What about a poll in this thread?
07-27-2005 09:50 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Shezi

...Feel tHe cHanGe...

39 / Male / –
Msgplus! is a perfect addon for msn messenger.. but as einum said that if there will new features added in the new msger release then there may be some new feature added in the msgplus! .... BTW more important is compatibility updates.. keep updating msgplus! for the new builds of msn msngr....
BTW wats will be ur next project.. will that be with microsoft.....

This post was edited on 07-27-2005 at 09:59 AM by Shezi.
[Image: bubble7nx.jpg]
07-27-2005 09:57 AM
Pages: (11): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: