What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Tracing a Hotmail Email

Tracing a Hotmail Email
Author: Message:
Andre

34 / Male / –
O.P. Tracing a Hotmail Email
Right then guys, I recieved a less than happy email from one of my friends the other week to my hotmail account but after a bit of investigation and talking to that person, it came out that someone has been using their account and sending emails and such. The problem is, I want to trace that email but I'm having a bit of difficulty with it.

I've turned on all the advanced email display settings on Hotmail so I can see where the message went through and such but I can't seem to see the original senders IP. I'm using a free hotmail account too so using Outlook to find out the IP is out of the question..

Thanks for any help and don't tell me that they could be using a proxy or stuff about IPs.. I don't just want to find out the IP to trace it, but for future reference too.

Thanks for any help
...Andre
08-07-2005 05:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Tracing a Hotmail Email
I don't exactly know, but just a suggestion, once you have found all
the info you need, you and your friend should alert abuse@hotmail.com
immediately.

[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
08-07-2005 05:33 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Andre

34 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Tracing a Hotmail Email
She's changed her password now but I don't think we'll go any further because it wasn't a "hacking" as such, it's just shes fairly laid back with her account and doesn't mind people going on it to see something but people don't do anything other than that.
08-07-2005 05:41 PM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
I sitll suggest this..they may also have never gone on her account at
all...there are websites that use anonymail...you know what I mean...so
yeah

[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
08-07-2005 05:58 PM
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
I would ask her to change her secret question. I got dupped into that by an ex friend a while ago.

I had my secret question as a boss on a game. I was naive and didn't think anyone would know about that game. But he started asking me questions about the game, until, you guessed it, he took over my account and snooped through all my emails. Luckily I got it back.

Ask her to change it so the answer doesn't have anything to do with the question. For example, What is my dogs name? www.thisismyanswer.com
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
08-08-2005 04:06 AM
Andre

34 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Tracing a Hotmail Email
Yeah, I've had the secret question trick done on me, except it was my fault entirely cus it was soooo easy..

What team do you support?

Hmm... I made no secret of the fact I support Leeds!

Guys, I'll explain a little, when I got that email I sent her a text aplogosing for all the shit and stuff and done to her but then she texted back saying she didn't have a clue what I was on about and if this was to do with MSN/Emails that people had been using her account. Instantly, I thought of one person that new her password and would send me this.. her boyfriend. I've asked several people who know me and him very well, ask them the question in the exact same way so that it doesn't give away any clues and all of them said that it sounds like he sent it.. I just want to nab him tbh.
08-08-2005 09:22 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: