What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » HDD

HDD
Author: Message:
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. HDD
i have a 6GB HDD lying around and i need to format it...i tried formatting it with windows 98 setup but it said that the HDD was unsupported.  currently it has red hat linux on it and i cant even use red hat b/c i dont know the login host name...well i do but it doesnt work.  is there any program i can download and boot it from a floppy or somthing like that to format the HDD?
[Image: siggy20ss.jpg]
08-08-2005 06:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
DJeX
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
RE: HDD
If you give me a min or so I'll wip you up a boot floppy to partition and format the drive, but you must know DOS to use it.

EDIT: Ok here it is. (see attachment)

First you need to download and unzip all files to a floppy.

This will boot you to the C:\ prompt with CD Rom support. First you must use fdisk to delete all partitions on the HDD, then you must make a new primary dos partition. Which will give the drive a drive letter. Then reboot like it says. Then use the format command to format the HDD. Fdisk and Format.com are on the boot floppy.

If you do not know how to use fdisk or format commands you will need to research that first. I don't mind explaining it but I do not want to be responsible for any data loss you could cause by acidently typing the wrong thing. I guarantee this boot floppy will work for it is the one I use for my business to format computers.

.zip File Attachment: Boot Format, Partition with CD Rom support.zip (346.89 KB)
This file has been downloaded 58 time(s).

This post was edited on 08-08-2005 at 07:34 PM by DJeX.
[Image: top.gif]
08-08-2005 07:21 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: HDD
quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
If you give me a min or so I'll wip you up a boot floppy to partition and format the drive, but you must know DOS to use it.

EDIT: Ok here it is. (see attachment)

First you need to download and unzip all files to a floppy.

This will boot you to the C:\ prompt with CD Rom support. First you must use fdisk to delete all partitions on the HDD, then you must make a new primary dos partition. Which will give the drive a drive letter. Then reboot like it says. Then use the format command to format the HDD. Fdisk and Format.com are on the boot floppy.

If you do not know how to use fdisk or format commands you will need to research that first. I don't mind explaining it but I do not want to be responsible for any data loss you could cause by acidently typing the wrong thing. I guarantee this boot floppy will work for it is the one I use for my business to format computers.
well you dont have to worry about data loss i found the HDD in the trash...i guess i can look up the DOS commands unless you or someone else will just tell be which i really prefere someone else telling me but ill download the boot files and save it to a floppy. but i think i might nknow the commands but if i do come across a problem ill let yall know:P

This post was edited on 08-09-2005 at 01:51 AM by [MR].
08-09-2005 01:48 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
A document I wrote on how to FDISK/Format/Reinstall Windows XP

Sorry the images are broken...

Matty's reply to URGENT: Computer messed.....

This post was edited on 08-09-2005 at 02:09 AM by matty.
08-09-2005 02:03 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

33 / Male / Flag
thanks matty ill try and do it all...its ok about the images

This post was edited on 08-09-2005 at 02:11 AM by [MR].
08-09-2005 02:09 AM
DJeX
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
What I ment was say if you typed by acident format C:\ that would format your main hard drive (the one your on now). Now that would suck. Same goes for fdisk.
08-09-2005 03:19 AM
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
What I ment was say if you typed by acident format C:\ that would format your main hard drive (the one your on now). Now that would suck. Same goes for fdisk.
o right...well the boot disk wont really work on that HDD normall when i want to look at that chart in fdisk the chart appears or if i wanted to delete a partiion or somthing like that the info would show and it would actually do somthing...well on this one nothing appears but the menu options and when i go into one of those options it just has the heading and press esc to go back the main menu caption...so i dont know whats wrong with that HDD.
08-09-2005 03:23 AM
DJeX
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
In Fdisk did you change it to the right drive?

Humm you may need to nuke it first then use the boot disk since it has linux on it.

Refer to my post here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=48...d=507265#pid507265

This post was edited on 08-09-2005 at 04:35 AM by DJeX.
08-09-2005 04:34 AM
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
In Fdisk did you change it to the right drive?

Humm you may need to nuke it first then use the boot disk since it has linux on it.

Refer to my post here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=48...d=507265#pid507265
thanks for the link ill try

i clicked on the link for the floppy version and this error came about when i extracted the files to the 3.5 floppy

[Image: untitled1ln.th.jpg]

i need a version that will actually fit on a 3.5 floppy and the "floppy" link wasnt the correct one ...please post the version that will fit on a 3.5 floppy thanks

This post was edited on 08-10-2005 at 08:01 PM by [MR].
08-10-2005 06:36 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: