What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Router Problems

Router Problems
Author: Message:
richardparker30

O.P. Router Problems
I have recently tried setting up my Netgear DG834G router on my laptop but have had no success.  I get all the conformation lights on the actual router, including power, ADSL link and the connection light.  But there is just nothing happening on the laptop.  I've tried accessing the setup page but there is no internet connection so I can't.  I have the router set up on our computer fine but just can't get it set up on this laptop.  I've deleted all old modem connections and drivers, and then tried setting up a manual connection but that brought me further problems.  Now I can't access some sites on Internet Explorer, including www.msn.com and www.ebay.co.uk .  I also cannot sign into MSN Messenger.  My Shut Down and Restart buttons etc. have now changed into a different display and when I turn on my computer I have to select which user I want to use with the laptop and there is only one to choose from, and then I have to confirm it each time by pressing ok.  Before I deleted the old connections it didn't do this, and it just logged onto and started up Windows automatically without me having to choose a user.  Please can you help me with these problems?
08-27-2005 11:38 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
segosa
Community's Choice

RE: Router Problems
Having to select a username when you boot your computer is probably because you installed the .NET framework. Download TweakUI from microsoft.com (Google it) and disable that.

Well the router has a built in modem, so if it's already configured you should not have to configure anything on your laptop. Just have a network card, connect it up and Windows will automatically detect it and broadcast (DHCP) for an IP address..

If it's not working, turn off the router, and unplug it from your laptop. Then turn it on, wait until all the lights light up properly, and connect your laptop to it. Windows should take over from there..
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
08-27-2005 11:54 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: