What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Move Over iPod, Here Comes Microsoft

Move Over iPod, Here Comes Microsoft
Author: Message:
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
O.P. Move Over iPod, Here Comes Microsoft
quote:
Originally posted by betanews

In an interview with Bloomberg News on Wednesday, Microsoft's Digital Media Division chief Erik Huggers said the iPod would have stronger competition by the holiday season

However supporters of Apple's iPod have pointed out that Microsoft made the same claim this time last year, yet the venerable music player continued to widen the gap between itself and its Windows-based competitors.

"Come this fall there is going to be a number of devices that get close to competing with Apple's iPod," Huggers told the news service. He also said that by the second quarter of next year there would be several players that compete directly with the iPod in terms of "industrial design, usability, functionality and features."

Microsoft has struggled over the past two years to find a player that could compete with the iPod. Several players, such as Creative's Zen Micro and iRiver's line of players have shown promise, however neither company has been able to garner more than five percent market share.

Apple, meanwhile, controls anywhere from 75 to 80 percent of the MP3 player market, according to industry estimates.

Analysts say it's going to take a lot to knock Apple off its throne, and expect the Cupertino company to refresh the iPod line for the holidays to ensure it stays on top of the digital music player market.

Michael Gartenberg, analyst with JupiterResearch, old Bloomberg that Microsoft's biggest problem is too much choice. "Unless Microsoft is really willing to spend the time and effort to get behind a player or a select group of players, [dethroning Apple is] not going to happen."

However, Huggers promises a fight now that it is focusing product research on ensuring that devices from its partners will sync nicely with Windows Media Player, and not have some of the issues that have plagued early "PlaysForSure" devices.

He says companies are not just going to surrender to Apple. "They are just not going to let them get away with it. The first quarter of 2006 is going to get very interesting."

08-12-2005 05:20 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
brian

– / Male / –
RE: Move Over iPod, Here Comes Microsoft
Wow, IMHO, 2006 is a pretty big year for Microsoft (Windows in cars; Vista; etc)
08-12-2005 05:28 AM
Garndell

Welcome to Elvie's World!!!

40 / Male / –
Looks like Apple have a monopoly on their hands (just about).  I'll be looking forward to the players in 2006, hopefully there will be one I like enouhg to upgrade to.
[Image: c2-garndell.jpg]
08-12-2005 07:59 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
wornlater

36 / Male / –
Anybody know what hard-drive mp3 players that are coming will directly compete with the ipod????
08-12-2005 08:31 AM
user27089
Disabled Account

That's really cool, I think that the Microsoft one will push the boundaries of an MP3 player, being cheap, high in quality, aesthetically pleasing and a lot of space for music.
08-12-2005 08:38 AM
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
being cheap, high in quality, aesthetically pleasing and a lot of space for music

That doesn't sound like microsoft at all

08-12-2005 08:56 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

The XBOX was sexy, the xbox 360 is sexy, longhorn is sexy etc. I could go on for ages. The XBOX came with an okay HDD, why wouldn't they put a good one in a MP3 player, they could create a mini hdd that has like 50Gb Space :banana:.
08-12-2005 09:49 AM
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
All I need is 256Mb's of space. I don't wanna be going for an hour shuffling through  songs that ill never take the time to listen to. :P

Yes I think that microsoft will turn an 'mp3player] into somewhat a computer. like they did with gaming systems.....:P

I'm good with my Iriver...
[Image: puritysig8.jpg/]
www.purity.toastednet.org
08-12-2005 09:53 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
user13774
Disabled Account

I hope it won't use Pocket Windows with Windows Media Player :tongue:

quote:
Originally posted by Purity
I'm good with my Iriver...
Yeah me too! I really like iRiver. IMO they are the best! (Y)
08-12-2005 01:58 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Yay, guess i'm not buying an mp3 player 'till 2006...
Anywayz, i can imagine ahah :

Windows Vista - It's still a sight (Vista ~ Sight in spanish)
Mp3Gafas - The HD is so small you'll need glasses to see it (Gafas = Glasses in spanish)
Windows Vista Service Pack Sombrero - Tired of security warnings? Give your windows a hat today, so he can sleep in the threatfull internet sun (Sombrero = some kind of hat, in spanish)
Xbox Maradona - Once you sniff it, your gaming will have God-Handed (ahah what a laugh... Sniff = Cocaine; Maradona = Cocaine addict; God hands = Maradona once scored a goal with his hand in one World Cup Final, and he said it was God's hand :lol:)
Windows Media Player Latin Edition - Only available for Pr0n

Ahaha :lol:
08-12-2005 02:17 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: