What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Special characters in display names

Special characters in display names
Author: Message:
sabah89

O.P. Huh?  Special characters in display names
With the characters in the character map, some of them work in my display name, but some just come out as square boxes (eg. the music note). Is there anything I can do to stop this happening? I've also noticed that some people can get Wingdings pictures in their display name, but when I copy them, they just display as ordinary letters.

Sorry if this has been posted a million times before, I tried using the search but I couldn't really find any old threads that were helpful.

:)
08-20-2005 12:33 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Special characters in display names
Whatever characters you choose, you need to choose a font capable of displaying them. Some characters are not available in certain fonts and vica versa. You can use Windows Character Map to find out what you need. Also in display names some special character will not show.

This post was edited on 08-20-2005 at 12:38 PM by mwe99.
08-20-2005 12:35 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
sabah89

O.P. RE: Special characters in display names
Thanks for your reply :D I don't understand why some people are able to get usually non-displayable characters...is there something you need to download, or does it depend on the chat client/computer? I thought it might just be on msn messenger, but I tried on trillian, and this didn't work either.
08-20-2005 12:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: