What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Messenger Plus! is not a spyware... Sign the petition!

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Messenger Plus! is not a spyware... Sign the petition!
Author: Message:
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger Plus! is not a spyware... Sign the petition!
Signed .... m$ sucks for doing this :-/
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
08-15-2005 04:52 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
John

www.johnjoosten.net

38 / Male / Flag
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, Cookie, but i fixed some spelling and grammar in the petition. :) Now where do I sign?

quote:
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta now treats Messenger Plus! as a moderate level spyware threat and asks you to block it from your computer everytime Plus! is running and not only during an AntiSpyware scan.

But, everybody should know that Messenger Plus! itself IS NOT SPYWARE...

It is ONLY the installer which could potentially install ADWARE if the user CHOOSES to do so. Users are clearly asked if they want to install the optional sponsor program or not, while they install Plus!.

Of course, you can refuse to install the optional adware sponsor and install Messenger Plus! without it. The Messenger Plus! program itself (msgplus.exe) or its DLL's do NOT install anything related to spyware nor adware and they are no threat at all to any computer.

Also, you should be conscious of the fact that the creator of Messenger Plus!, Patchou, and his program don't need bad publicity like this! Messenger Plus! is a great addon for MSN Messenger!

With Pathou's own words: "If they were detecting the setup, I could concede that a threat exists, as the user still has the choice to install the sponsor or not. But they are detecting msgplus.exe which does not harm your computer in any way".

To make things even worse for end-users, those who trust Microsoft AntiSpyware and let it "remove" Messenger Plus! are in fact stuck with the actual sponsor program, if they chose to install it.

Thus, by signing this petition, you agree that Microsoft AntiSpyware badly judge Messenger Plus! and you want Microsoft AnitiSpyware to remove Messenger Plus! from there spywares list or at least let it detect only the installer!
[Image: johnsig02.png]
08-15-2005 08:00 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, Cookie, but i fixed some spelling and grammar in the petition.
No offense taken at all ;) Thanks for the spell and grammarcheck (I know I'm crappy in it, especially when typing fast :p). Now let's hope sk8michael updates his letter.
quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar
Now where do I sign?
See toppost
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-15-2005 01:18 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
dawgie

im sorry but the petition is really pointless. why you say? well if you read the description explained by microsoft, theres nothing wrong with it. lets have a lesson

[Image: index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=467]
now not the words "POTENIAL",  "MODERATE RISK" and the best "USERS MAY DECIDE TO IGNORE SUCH PROGRAMS AFTER REVIEW"

So please seriously, theres nothing to complain about

This post was edited on 08-15-2005 at 02:02 PM by Tochjo.
08-15-2005 01:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
dawgie, the point of the current issue is that MSAS has taken things a step further. A step which doesn't make any/much sense. It now detects Plus! itself everytime it runs.

All the discussions about MSAS atm are about the fact that MSAS fails to detect the INSTALLER ONLY, and instead "detects" malicious software when there isn't any (when you didn't install anything) in msgplus.exe and its dll's.

If MSAS would detect adware/spyware like any other decent scanner would, by detecting the adware/spyware itself, then we wouldn't had these discussions.

And that is what this is all about. It is not about MSAS detecting a sponsor which users need to be warned about (aka only detecting the installer and the sponsor), it is about MSAS detecting stuff which isn't there (aka when you did not install anything for example).... If they walk this path why not simply put a warning each time Windows starts up, as it contains potential leaks and a browser which the user can use to download malicious software? It would be almost equaly rediculus...

This post was edited on 08-15-2005 at 03:33 PM by CookieRevised.
08-15-2005 01:58 PM
sk8michael

34 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Messenger Plus! is not a spyware... Sign the petition!
Well, I am the author of this petition and I cannot change the text that appears on the petition page... But, I can add an updated section...

I added this text:

quote:
*Only the installer could potentially install an optional adware if the user choose to do so... But, the Messenger Plus! program itself (msgplus.exe) or its dll do not install anything related to spyware nor adware!

If you want me to change the text in the updated section, just ask me to do it, and I'll make these changes!

Thank you and have a nice day!

Oh... I forgot... Take it dawgy => :refuck: <= .... Messenger Plus! doesn't need this kind of bad publicity... Msg Plus! is the BEST addon that survived to different versions of MSN Messenger!!! And why? Because Patchou and his team has worked, and still work, very hard to keep Plus! the best addon ever! So, if Microsoft AntiSpyware asks people to stop to use Msg Plus! because it is a spyware, even if IT IS NOT, maybe it can affect Messenger Plus! popularity, and I would feel very sorry for Patchou... So now, it's time to change the situation, and together we can... Patchou made great things for us, now it's time to thank him! I hope you now understand my point of view DAWGY, and when I see your reaction, I have pity for you!

This post was edited on 08-15-2005 at 02:44 PM by sk8michael.
[Image: messengerplussignature4lg.gif]
08-15-2005 02:31 PM
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
Lamest thing Microsoft ever did. I knew they were lamers, but this? I hope Patchou teaches them one lesson they never forget. Go get 'em Patchou!

* Concord Dawn can see this becoming a movie, "Msgplus Strikes Back!"
[Image: 7.png]
08-15-2005 02:41 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
btw, let's try to keep this thread about the petition ONLY. Discussion about Plus! being spyware/adware or not can be done in MS AntiSpyware Now Blocks Messenger Plus!

----------------------
08-15-2005 02:49 PM
sk8michael

34 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: Messenger Plus! is not a spyware... Sign the petition!
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
btw, let's try to keep this thread about the petition ONLY. Discussion about Plus! being spyware/adware or not can be done in MS AntiSpyware Now Blocks Messenger Plus!

----------------------

Completely agree CookieRevised, you're right! :)

Have a nice day !!!
[Image: messengerplussignature4lg.gif]
08-15-2005 03:10 PM
Maku_Enterprises

well i havent signed the petition, because I was wondering if msg plus would need help in hosting... would 330 gigs of transfer help u guys out? that way u wouldnt need such a sponsor?
08-15-2005 04:24 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: