What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Lock properties of a file

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Lock properties of a file
Author: Message:
Vazza

– / Female / –
O.P. RE: Lock properties of a file
Well from what I'm reading it can't be done (well I am 1) female and 2)dark blonde, so there's two things that are already going against me :))
Basically I have a word document and a few image files that I'm finished with and want to make it so that I would be unable to alter them in future, but if it can't be done, it can't be done.

Thanks for the help anyways :)
I'll never forget how lucky I was 7275 days, 14 hours, 25 minutes, 34 seconds ago
[Image: 2tde3m][Image: 2y6ojm]
08-15-2005 08:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Lock properties of a file
quote:
Originally posted by Vazza
Basically I have a word document and a few image files that I'm finished with and want to make it so that I would be unable to alter them in future, but if it can't be done, it can't be done.
In a Word document? Well, the answer would be yes and no :D

You can secure a Word document with a password so you can't change anything in it anymore (without knowing the password). Although such protections are easly broken for those who know how (I'm obviously not going into that atm)...

In Word 2000, it goes like:
1) Select menu: "Tools" > "Protect Document..."
2) There you'll see a small dialog, choose "Forms"
3) Enter the password
4) Verify the password
5) Save the document

In Word 2003, the menu option is the same, but the dialog will be a side-bar. The principle is the same though (only you have more options to choose from)...

When you open the document again you'll see that you can't change anything anymore (including the pictures).

[Image: attachment.php?pid=514150]
Word 2000 example (in Dutch)

As you also can see, it is mandatory that you always provide detailed and exact explainations of what you want to do, before you could expect a good answer. This thread contains 10 posts which were actually not needed at all ;)

.png File Attachment: securedoc.png (9.55 KB)
This file has been downloaded 310 time(s).

This post was edited on 08-16-2005 at 11:27 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-16-2005 11:01 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Vazza

– / Female / –
Okay word document sorted, but would I be right in assuming that individual image files couldn't be done i.e. the images are not in the document.

And yes, I know I should know better about giving a description but describing is not a strong point for me (a)

I was also half sleeping at the time (a)
I'll never forget how lucky I was 7275 days, 14 hours, 25 minutes, 34 seconds ago
08-16-2005 11:10 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Lock properties of a file
quote:
Okay word document sorted, but would I be right in assuming that individual image files couldn't be done i.e. the images are not in the document.
indeed, individual images on disk can always be altered as they are nothing more than a collection of data. Corrupt/change the data, and the original file (image) is changed. This goes for the Word document as a whole also though (heck, it goes for every file).

If you want to distribute the whole package, it is far better to zip all the files and password protect the archived file.

-------

quote:
And yes, I know I should know better about giving a description but describing is not a strong point for me
the comment was also (or "more") for those who replied with assumptions of what you wanted without knowing it exactly and thus making useless posts

This post was edited on 08-16-2005 at 11:22 AM by CookieRevised.
08-16-2005 11:18 AM
Vazza

– / Female / –
Oh well. Thanks anyways for all your help. Guess its back to watermarking all the images then :)
08-16-2005 11:22 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Lock properties of a file
btw, once you integrated the images in your word document, they aren't needed anymore on your HDD; they will be part of the document.
08-16-2005 11:24 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: