What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Intermittant variation in window contents

Intermittant variation in window contents
Author: Message:
abermudez02

O.P. Intermittant variation in window contents
I have noticed an intermittant issue involving the appearance of the MSN Messenger windows with msgplus. Sometimes, Plus! seems to suppress the extra junk that MSN7 adds to message windows, such as the "My Space" (I wonder what inspired that name...), "MSN Today", and "Search the web" buttons in the main window, as well as the little ad and the annoying "search" button in every message window. At other times, however, these items DO show up, even though Plus! is running just the same. (In neither case is the advertisement banner removed.) It seems to possibly be related to which process (msnmsgr or MsgPlus) starts first, because I was able to get the full "bloated" look by starting Plus! and then Messenger, but i can occasionally get the cleaner look by starting Messenger first, and then starting the MsgPlus process. Any idea how I can get it to always be the same? (preferably the clean look!)

Also, I'm not sure if maybe this Plus! feature was removed for MSN7, but hovering over the empty space to the left of the contact picture no longer produces the little Plus! menu like it did with MSN 6.2.

Are these problems something that re-installing MSN or Plus! could possibly resolve, or is Plus! not even intended to remove the extra junk from the MSN windows?

Thanks for any answers you can give!

Andy

[I am using the latest official versions of both MSN Messenger and Plus! on Windows XP SP2 with all the updates. The latest version of Plus! was already installed with MSN 6.2 when I upgraded to MSN 7.]
08-17-2005 11:22 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

RE: Intermittant variation in window contents
Do you have StuffPlug NG by any chance? Did you recently install a patch?

quote:
Originally posted by abermudez02
Are these problems something that re-installing MSN or Plus! could possibly resolve, or is Plus! not even intended to remove the extra junk from the MSN windows?
Plus! is not supposed to remove them... Stuffplug is supposed to remove advertisements and patches are supposed to remove the other "junk"

quote:
Also, I'm not sure if maybe this Plus! feature was removed for MSN7, but hovering over the empty space to the left of the contact picture no longer produces the little Plus! menu like it did with MSN 6.2.
this is not possible with the latest version of MSN Messenger (technical issues prevent Plus! from displaying the icon)

quote:
[I am using the latest official versions of both MSN Messenger and Plus! on Windows XP SP2 with all the updates. The latest version of Plus! was already installed with MSN 6.2 when I upgraded to MSN 7.]
would you mind giving a plugin list and the exact version numbers? :)
08-17-2005 11:44 AM
abermudez02

O.P. RE: Intermittant variation in window contents
Believe it or not, I don't have any plugins and patches installed at all. Only MSN 7.0.0816 (upgraded from 6.2 about a month ago) and MsgPlus 3.54.132 (installed when it was released in May)

This has happened ever since I installed MSN 7.

And thanks for the info about the little hovering contact menu. That's too bad cause I really liked that feature... made it easy to get to a contact's log file! :S

Andy

This post was edited on 08-17-2005 at 11:59 AM by abermudez02.
08-17-2005 11:52 AM
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

The most logical explanation would be Microsoft disabling those features temporarily (and that would disable the links to msn music too). When that happens, several of those "junk services" are disabled (I'm not sure which actually are).

quote:
And thanks for the info about the little hovering contact menu. That's too bad cause I really liked that feature... made it easy to get to a contact's log file! :S
You can right-click the contact and choose "Messenger Plus! Extras" -> "Open Chat Log..."
08-17-2005 12:02 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
it could be microsoft are updating them in your area or testing them. messenger plus! does not remove this however a plugin for messenger plus! does. also patches and skins do this ;)

it's very likly that msn messenger are updating the icons or testing them if you didnt use any plugins/ patches :)

I suggest you wait and report back, where did you download this version btw?
08-17-2005 12:33 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
abermudez02

O.P. RE: Intermittant variation in window contents
Yeah, that's quite possible. Maybe the fact it seemed to vary depending on what order the processes started in was pure chance, cause I can't seem to duplicate it now! Anyways, thanks for the answers... I think I found a different solution for cleaning it up... ;-)

And I downloaded MSN from messenger.msn.com and Plus! from the msgplus download page.

Thanks again! Andy
08-17-2005 12:39 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: