What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » SMS.ac - What they dont want you to know

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
SMS.ac - What they dont want you to know
Author: Message:
-rafy-

36 / Male / –
RE: SMS.ac - What they dont want you to know
Ive just tended to ignore emails from them, not really ever knowing what it was......
Rafy.

06-01-2005 10:38 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: SMS.ac - What they dont want you to know
quote:
Originally posted by -rafy-
Ive just tended to ignore emails from them, not really ever knowing what it was......
Yes, another interesting fact, SMS.ac is also being accused of commiting acts against the CAN-SPAM act in the United States of America.

As for it not showing up on cellular bills, not all users have reported the problems, but a majority of them have.
06-01-2005 08:28 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
dont they get in your msn address book and spread it to your contacts like that too?
06-01-2005 08:34 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
This happened to me and my mate. Took £2 off my credit :@ Very annoying.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
06-03-2005 07:59 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
When i received my first invite i read what it was all about on their site...i found several things onthere wich made me decide not to join, sorry to all who invited me.

Some quotes from http://sms.ac/HomePage/termsandcons.aspx:

SMS.ac reserves the right to change the nature of this relationship at any time without notice to you.

Please note that your profile information will be publicly available to other users.

To promote community, we may facilitate interaction and communication between members. Additionally, if there appear to be common interests between you and other users (according to your profile information), we may send email or SMS messages that will introduce you to others or them to you. For this purpose, we may include your greeting and other profile information. For this community-related Service that is provided directly to your mobile phone, you will be charged.

YOU UNDERSTAND THAT SMS.AC MAY MODIFY SERVICES AT ANY TIME AND THAT SMS.AC SPECIFICALLY RESERVES THE RIGHT FROM TIME TO TIME TO ALTER THE NUMBER OF FREE MESSAGES AND OTHER FREE SERVICES OR ELIMINATE ANY OR ALL FREE OFFERINGS ENTIRELY AT ITS SOLE DISCRETION, WITH OR WITHOUT NOTIFICATION.

You acknowledge that SMS.ac doesn't pre-screen Content, but that SMS.ac and its designees shall have the right (but not the obligation) in their sole discretion to refuse or move any Content that is available via the Service. Without limitation, SMS.ac shall have the right to remove any Content that violates this Agreement or is otherwise objectionable. <<< how do they know if they don't read your messages?

Your use of this service and interaction with other users is at your own risk. Your profile can be viewed by other users. You may receive messages from SMS.ac or other users at any time. View pricing per country at Mobile Commands Help http://www.sms.ac/MobilecommandHelp/help.asp.

This post was edited on 06-04-2005 at 12:14 AM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
06-04-2005 12:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: SMS.ac - What they dont want you to know
Exactly, they have very dodgy agreement terms.  Thanks for that research Sunshine :).

quote:
Originally posted by SMS.ac TOS

To promote community, we may facilitate interaction and communication between members. Additionally, if there appear to be common interests between you and other users (according to your profile information), we may send email or SMS messages that will introduce you to others or them to you. For this purpose, we may include your greeting and other profile information. For this community-related Service that is provided directly to your mobile phone, you will be charged.

Basically, this means that they can fake messages or send there own messages to others on your behalf and charge you for it.  What they are accused of doing, among other things.

quote:
Originally posted by SMS.ac TOS

You acknowledge that SMS.ac doesn't pre-screen Content, but that SMS.ac and its designees shall have the right (but not the obligation) in their sole discretion to refuse or move any Content that is available via the Service. Without limitation, SMS.ac shall have the right to remove any Content that violates this Agreement or is otherwise objectionable.

Basically, as Sunshine said, this means that they will somehow magically monitor your messages for objectionable content, which probably means that there are humans monitoring what you send on the network.

This entire company is dodgy.  The Attorney General really needs to get involved with this, and other countries Consumer Groups.
06-04-2005 01:42 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
I've reposted this at my blog, with all credits given. Plus ive added my own little bit too. You can see it here.

Here is what i wrote...

When you sign up, there are some Terms and Conditions that you agree too. Firstly, the Checkbox that you select comes before the actual T&Cs, making it hard to see, and the Terms and Conditions appear in a very very small box (screenshot). In that very small box, there is a 4,411 word agreement that you can only read 4 lines at a time. Then, at the very bottom of the agreement, there is the following line...

"You may receive messages from SMS.ac or other users at any time. View pricing per country at..."

That means that if you send a message to someone, that person without choice gets charged a certain amount (screenshot).

This post was edited on 06-04-2005 at 10:06 AM by saralk.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
06-04-2005 10:03 AM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by saralk
"You may receive messages from SMS.ac or other users at any time. View pricing per country at..."

That means that if you send a message to someone, that person without choice gets charged a certain amount (screenshot).
:| Omg  ...... i never read that and as u said that 4 lines at a time makes the whole 4411 word agreement impossible to read ... well almost 99% ppl wont read it and there are that 1 % ppl who will start but of that .99999999999999999% will give up :-/
So its like a total scam to screw ppl over :|
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
06-04-2005 10:10 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
All free services are crap, in my sincere  opinion , nothing is free, theres always a catch...the free ipods and tvs too, a guy from a magazine (cant remember the name) researched  and the called a guy from the testimonials of that pages and the guy told him he was paid $$50$$ for taking a pic of him with his ipod.
If you btw recieved a free something please tell me, im curious.
edit: sorry for posting in the old thread, i was so md i didnt even notice...8-)

This post was edited on 08-20-2005 at 04:16 PM by Voldemort.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
08-20-2005 04:14 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Mirrored on neowin in BPN ;)
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.