What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » cable modem

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
cable modem
Author: Message:
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: cable modem
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Just attach a router or switch to your cable modem and then you will be able to plug up to four pcs into that router/switch.

ok i cant have  a huge wire going upstairs and wireless no
[Image: siggy20ss.jpg]
08-21-2005 02:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Val

30 / Other / Flag
RE: RE: cable modem
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Originally posted by MR_5_MR
i cant its downstairs im trying to put another modem upstairs...but i think it should work b/c the cable company doesnt chose what cable outlets its gunna go to ...they just shoot the signal to my house...right.  so im probably thinking that if i bought another modem or somthing like that i could get my cable internet upstairs as well as downstairs (downstairs using my original modem) (upstairs using the new mdem but at the same time) sry if my explanation is too confusing

yeah but think about it, that means the same internet is going through all the outlets, so if you had two modems on different outlets, they would get data they never sent and stuff like that because they dont know which is which, so it would'nt work.

Just attach a router or switch to your cable modem and then you will be able to plug up to four pcs into that router/switch.

Well siad thats what i was saying but i didnt know about the data thing i got lots to learn about computers im only 12 :p i got my whole life :D
Menthix:
Anonymous doesn\'t have a leader.
Anonymous is the leader of ShawnZ.

Max:
True. But deep down, we all know.
ShawnZ is incharge.
he is /b/ in human form.
08-21-2005 02:13 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
slick00000

Just Another Kid With A Computer

34 / Male / –
RE: cable modem
I agree i say wireless is the way to go... i have a wireless router. its pritty pricy but its worth it... and if you do make sure to buy one with duel antenna. So you dont interupt the speed of one computer because of the other. Using the other outlets will just tap you into your highspeed so only one person will be able to go on at one time. Now, with wireless you can hook up as many computers as you would like. Even with the connector in the phone line you will be going through dial up. The main router is usually 60$ and you can get a wireless adapter. Im using a Lynksys. Look into it. it can seem pricey but its worth it
08-21-2005 02:37 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Val

30 / Other / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by slick00000
I agree i say wireless is the way to go... i have a wireless router. its pritty pricy but its worth it... and if you do make sure to buy one with duel antenna. So you dont interupt the speed of one computer because of the other. Using the other outlets will just tap you into your highspeed so only one person will be able to go on at one time. Now, with wireless you can hook up as many computers as you would like. Even with the connector in the phone line you will be going through dial up. The main router is usually 60$ and you can get a wireless adapter. Im using a Lynksys. Look into it. it can seem pricey but its worth it

Its probably cheaper then bying new modem
Menthix:

Max:
ShawnZ is incharge.
he is /b/ in human form.
08-21-2005 02:40 AM
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by val3006

ya i knwo that ...i actually am going to buy a wireless card and steal my neighbor's connections but it was just an idea i had that i wanted to see was true or not.
08-21-2005 02:51 AM
Val

30 / Other / Flag
quote:
quote:

ya i knwo that ...i actually am going to buy a wireless card and steal my neighbor's connections but it was just an idea i had that i wanted to see was true or not.

Thats good idea i do that with my PSP when my router is not working but what if your naigbor uses a WEP or something then what and also that not relibable cuze if his router is down you have no way of fixing it better to use router and buy a special wireless card for a desktop comp also put a wep code to ppl dont make your internet slower
Menthix:

Max:
ShawnZ is incharge.
he is /b/ in human form.
08-21-2005 02:55 AM
slick00000

Just Another Kid With A Computer

34 / Male / –
RE: cable modem
also if your going to steal.. wirelessly you might have low connection and slow speed and if you want to use his you need his wireless encryption security key. Almost all wireless networks have that. mabey break into his house and get it?? lol.... also he is probibly using sympatico and that invos a SSID a WESK and a HNAP (Secret Security Identification, Wireless Encryption Security Key and Home Network Administrator Password) lol so its not easy unless you get a program to hack it... but some people will be stupid enough to put thier WESK in as the name. So the code is right there... its a risky chance to take.

This post was edited on 08-21-2005 at 03:21 AM by slick00000.
08-21-2005 03:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
also if your going to steal.. wirelessly you might have low connection and slow speed and if you want to use his you need his wireless encryption security key. Almost all wireless networks have that. mabey break into his house and get it?? lol.... also he is probibly using sympatico and that invos a SSID a WESK and a HNAP (Secret Security Identification, Wireless Encryption Security Key and Home Network Administrator Password) lol so its not easy unless you get a program to hack it... but some people will be stupid enough to put thier WESK in as the name. So the code is right there... its a risky chance to take.

actually on my sis's laptop it has a wireless card in it and it will automatically connect to the wireless connection.  you ddont need any kind of password or whatever u said.
08-21-2005 04:10 AM
Val

30 / Other / Flag
quote:
quote:

actually on my sis's laptop it has a wireless card in it and it will automatically connect to the wireless connection.  you ddont need any kind of password or whatever u said.

then all you have to do is get a big cable and conect to your sis's comp and steal her internet lol :p

might work
Menthix:

Max:
ShawnZ is incharge.
he is /b/ in human form.
08-21-2005 04:23 AM
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
then all you have to do is get a big cable and conect to your sis's comp and steal her internet lol :p

might work

or just get a card and steal interent even if it is crappy and slow...
08-21-2005 04:26 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: