What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Accessing a restricted folder

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Accessing a restricted folder
Author: Message:
Olixander

RE: Accessing a restricted folder
First of all, that is the adminstrator account. to explain in full is when i got my computer some months ago i renamed it "Ollie" and thusly the file under which all my stuff was saved was in "C:\documents and settings\ollie" now a couple of months later i changed my user name to Olixander and this still had acess to my files, now when my system file corrupted and after i managed to get back on, the computer created me a new user documents file "C:\documents and settings\olixander" and disalowed me from acessing my old ones. And to add a note of urgency is that the file i cannot acess contains some very important pieces of work for A-Level, and im tooo lazy to have to re-write from scratch.
So far i have tried making a new account called Ollie but the pc calls this Ollie_2
I have tried using the programme cmd and the CACLS operation within it to grant me user rights but this has not worked and i know their not corrupted as i can get into "c:\documents and settings\ollie" by using the said programme but alas no further but only on someone elses account on the pc
I have tried going into safe mode an opening it and this did not work.
If there is any slightly "illegal" programme out there or some way of changing the registry i would forever be in your debt
08-22-2005 08:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
This hasn't got anything todo with the registry (much). Accounts, passwords and stuff are mainly saved and handled by the Windows User Credentials. Tweaking the registry will not help...

CACLS is used to change the rights of other people towards the account your using this command with. Not vice versa as that would of course be a huge security hole.

PS: CMD is the DOS command prompt. It isn't a "program" per se.

----------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Olixander
So far i have tried making a new account called Ollie but the pc calls this Ollie_2
The directory name can be different, that doesn't matter. The important thing is that the credentials are the same as the old one (aka, the username and password)...

But as I can read from your post, you should not make a user named "Ollie", but "Olixander", as that was the last working username for that corrupted directory, so try that.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-22-2005 09:10 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
multimillion2k

– / Male / –
Here's a utility that makes recovering EFS files easier - EFS Key
It works in a similar way to fergy's method, it doesn't crack the encryptions or anything.
08-22-2005 09:11 PM
PenguinBoy

indude

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Accessing a restricted folder
Sorry, that didn't work :(:(

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
This hasn't got anything todo with the registry (much). Accounts, passwords and stuff are mainly saved and handled by the Windows User Credentials. Tweaking the registry will not help...

CACLS is used to change the rights of other people towards the account your using this command with. Not vice versa as that would of course be a huge security hole.

PS: CMD is the DOS command prompt. It isn't a "program" per se.

----------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Olixander
The directory name can be different, that doesn't matter. The important thing is that the credentials are the same as the old one (aka, the username and password)...

But as I can read from your post, you should not make a user named "Ollie", but "Olixander", as that was the last working username for that corrupted directory, so try that.

The previous username was "olixander" but had been changed from "ollie" so the user folder is called "ollie".

Olixander is the name of the user he's curently using, which does indeed have matching credentials to the previous, but it has created a new user area, and has restricted access to the old one because of the different name.  and i thought the registry was what asigned a folder to a user.

so what we're going to try is to create a new user with the name "Ollie" and matching credentials to the very original user

and then change the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders so that it leads to there.

then if it fails, try it with "ollixander"

will that not work?

This post was edited on 08-22-2005 at 10:53 PM by PenguinBoy.
08-22-2005 10:45 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by PenguinBoy
The previous username was "olixander" but had been changed from "ollie" so the user folder is called "ollie".

Olixander is the name of the user he's curently using, which does indeed have matching credentials to the previous, but it has created a new user area, and has restricted access to the old one because of the different name.  and i thought the registry was what asigned a folder to a user.
yes, but the important credentials assigned and locked to a user account aren't stored in the registry, only the ("unimportant") folder names which don't have anything (or not much) to do with the encryption of those folders are stored in the registry. Those folder names aren't so close "attached" to the user account; you can change them to anything you like; they only provide a "reference" to the "name" of the folders...

(sorry for the heavy use of quotes, but those words aren't exactly technically accurate)

quote:
so what we're going to try is to create a new user with the name "Ollie" and matching credentials to the very original user. And then change the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders so that it leads to there. Then if it fails, try it with "ollixander"
will that not work?
I can only hope for you it will....

good luck
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-22-2005 11:43 PM
PenguinBoy

indude

35 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Accessing a restricted folder
another example of something being so simple that it's over looked...

he told me that he fixed it then he said

"while on safe mode, and on a administrator account, i right click on the file, then go to the security tab.
then it comes up with users allowed to go on it, and no one was there, so i just aded everyone. took 3seconds

but only on safe mode would it let you do this"
08-23-2005 08:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
another example of something being so simple that it's over looked...

he told me that he fixed it then he said

"while on safe mode, and on a administrator account, i right click on the file, then go to the security tab.
then it comes up with users allowed to go on it, and no one was there, so i just aded everyone. took 3seconds

but only on safe mode would it let you do this"

You could probably do this if you turned off easy file sharing aswell...
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.