What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [Suggestion] Personal Message auto-update from TXT File

[Suggestion] Personal Message auto-update from TXT File
Author: Message:
Indef

O.P. [Suggestion] Personal Message auto-update from TXT File
There was a thread around here somewhere, but they wanted it for a slightly different purpose to me...

Because of the way my computers are set up, the "MSN Messenger PC" and "Music PC" are seperate. Why? Both crash when doing the other's job. (Very annoying... but I can do two things at once.)

I have already accomplished, getting the Music PC to relay the current playing song to a text file (as mIRC reads from it on the MSN PC), and what I would like is for MSN to do the same.

I know there is a Winamp -> MSN plugin around, but that's for when both programs are on the same computer. What I would like, is plugin that would "poll" the text file every... 10 seconds ( ? ) or so, and update the Personal Message with the first line in the text file (there are 2 lines).

Is this possible? Also, if it's not too much to ask... say someone makes it, can you make a setting so there is also a "static" message before and/or after the text that is inserted from the text file (if that makes sense)?

Thank you in advance.

andy

This post was edited on 09-14-2005 at 12:11 PM by Indef.
[Image: Mistikal.png]
09-14-2005 12:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: [Suggestion] Personal Message auto-update from TXT File
I don't see the point in this... do you just want text or a song... if its a song then this is usless and it isn't as easy to change the PSM as you think.
09-14-2005 12:15 PM
Indef

O.P. RE: [Suggestion] Personal Message auto-update from TXT File
No no, I don't think I made proper sense.

PC1 plays music. PC2 is for MSN/mIRC.

PC1 writes to a text file what song it's playing.

I want PC2 to have a plugin on Messenger Plus to enable it to read from the text file that PC1 is writing to, and update the Personal Message as per what's in the text file.

Little clearer? :P

andy

This post was edited on 09-14-2005 at 04:48 PM by Indef.
09-14-2005 04:47 PM
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
I don't think this plugin would b usefull 4 many ppl... Plugins have 2b usefull not only 4 u, but 4 many other users. :S
Example: Everyone hates the advertentions in MSN, thats why StuffPlug-NG has the feature 2 hide it. U can make a plugin 4 ur own that does that, but like Matty said: its difficult.
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
09-14-2005 04:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Indef

O.P. RE: [Suggestion] Personal Message auto-update from TXT File
Really, all I'm after is a plugin to change my Personal Message to what's in a text file.

Just, the way I want to impliment it, makes it sound like no-one would use it.

andy
09-14-2005 05:04 PM
einum

Freude am Fahren

49 / Male / –
Indef, you forget one important thing. A plugin that reads from a text file and writes to the PSM field will look like a text PSM. A song title that is taken from a Music Player will have the headphones before the title, and act as a link.

Or is it maybe possible to make the plugin fool Messenger to believe the PSM text actually IS a song title?

Anyway, I agree with Mattike, this plugin seem to be something just a very few people would use. I actually think it would be better to have a plugin that read quotes from a text file and inserts them into the PSM field, just like many e-mail programs can do for signatures. The plugin can do this on a certain interval, decided in the plugin settings. Everthing from 1 minute interval to 1 hour interval maybe + the possibility to change PSM only when Messenger is restarted.
09-14-2005 06:15 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by einum
Or is it maybe possible to make the plugin fool Messenger to believe the PSM text actually IS a song title?
Yes. I believe the relevant info is on the Mess.be forum or the MSNFanatic forum, or both.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
09-14-2005 06:51 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: