What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Messenger can't sign in, it just does nothing

Messenger can't sign in, it just does nothing
Author: Message:
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. Messenger can't sign in, it just does nothing
Hi people. Well, a friend of mine brought me his computer because he can't sign in into Messenger.

This is the story: about two months ago, he had a virus so he took his PC to a shop. I have no idea what they did there, the thing is that they removed the virus but MSN Messenger stopped working. So he started using Windows Messenger. But a couple of weeks ago, it stopped working too.

I checked it and didn't find anything weird. Except for Windows Messenger that wouldn't obey to the "do not run on background" option. Even if you killed it, it would reappear after some time (TaskInfo said it was started with the "-Embedding" parameter and started by services.exe IIRC).

When you clicked the sign in button, Messenger 7.0 did nothing at all. I removed all the saved accounts (Tools > Options > General > Accounts and passwords > Change) and then the enter user & pass dialog finally appeared, but when trying to login, it showed an error instantly (sorry, I don't remember the error number - I googled for it but couldn't find anything, just a few results that had nothing to do with this).

After that, I did a clean reinstall of MSN Messenger 7.0, but still didn't work. Then I tried resetting Internet Explorer's settings to default. And fixing IE by reinstalling it (with a command I don't remember right now). Messenger kept giving the same error.
I also tried updating to MSN Messenger 7.5. Still doesn't work, and now it doesn't even show an error message, you click sign in and nothing happens at all. The connection troubleshooter says there's an error with the ports, but can't repair it (this is not because of the firewall or the connection settings BTW, they are alright).

*Any* ideas? (Besides reformatting :P) Everything else works fine and the system runs pretty fast. It has Norton Antivirus (BTW, while doing all of this, I disabled Norton and killed other unnecessary programs).

Thanks.
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
08-25-2005 02:58 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
NiteMare
Veteran Member

Giga-Byte me

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger can't sign in, it just does nothing
just to verify, the clean reinstall you did, that means you uninstalled MSN and then deleted the registry keys and directory?

and does he have any plusins such as plus!
[Image: sig/]
I'll never forget what she said 6652 days, 22 hours, 49 minutes, 14 seconds ago
Need hosting? Check
out my website. we can help you out :)
08-25-2005 03:14 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Messenger can't sign in, it just does nothing
Yes, I cleared its registry keys (HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger and HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger) and its directories ("%programfiles%\MSN Messenger" and "%appdata%\Microsoft\MSN Messenger").

He has Plus with no plugins installed, but I closed Plus before testing.
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
08-25-2005 04:12 AM
DeathzLord

Microsoft is nazism :-|

37 / Male / –
wow...  i know lotta problems, but this one is very rare & strange!
i'll be thinking about it, i let you know when i got the solution!

ps. let your friend try couple of WebMessengers, Trillian or like my School Messenger (MSN Messenger without installation).

Greetings!

This post was edited on 08-25-2005 at 04:45 AM by DeathzLord.
[Image: hahaandblabla.jpg]
08-25-2005 04:43 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by trini
Did you also deleted everything under C:\Documents and Settings\[USER]\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger ? Doing this often resolves the sign-in problems.
Yes, as you can read here:

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
and its directories ("%programfiles%\MSN Messenger" and "%appdata%\Microsoft\MSN Messenger").

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

08-25-2005 05:59 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: