What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Folder Thumbnails/Pictures

Folder Thumbnails/Pictures
Author: Message:
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
O.P. Folder Thumbnails/Pictures
My thumbnails of pictures i have set on my folders have been changing to other pictures, and folders where i did not set a picture have also been changing to random pictures.
It is rather annoying and i cant reset them to default (plain)

Anyone else have this problem and/or suggestions on how to fix it?

For those of you who dont know what i mean, I mean when your in thumbnails view you can set a picture to the folder via right click>properties>customize>choose picture

Thanks.
09-02-2005 08:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Folder Thumbnails/Pictures
Underneath the choose picture button, there should be a Restore Default button.

The info for custom icons is stored in a Desktop.ini file within the concerned folder. I'm not sure if this is also the case for custom folder thumbnails.

The file is not normally shown by My Computer, so you may need to enable viewing of hidden files, and system files. If your computer hiden known filename extensions, the file will appear only as Desktop. These options are available in the Folder Options applet inside Control Panel.

Try deleting the file. If you later cusomise the folder, the file will be created as would be normally.

This post was edited on 09-02-2005 at 10:42 AM by rav0.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
09-02-2005 10:39 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Folder Thumbnails/Pictures
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
Underneath the choose picture button, there should be a Restore Default button.

The info for custom icons is stored in a Desktop.ini file within the concerned folder. I'm not sure if this is also the case for custom folder thumbnails.

The file is not normally shown by My Computer, so you may need to enable viewing of hidden files, and system files. If your computer hiden known filename extensions, the file will appear only as Desktop. These options are available in the Folder Options applet inside Control Panel.

Try deleting the file. If you later cusomise the folder, the file will be created as would be normally.

Yeah i forgot to mention the restore default button dosnt work.

The files are called thumbs.db, i didnt think of deleting them but hey.. It works! Thanks.
09-03-2005 08:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Folder Thumbnails/Pictures
quote:
Originally posted by Scone
The files are called thumbs.db
Ah, Thumbs.db is the file whee windows stores a cache of thumbnails once thay have been generated, to save time the next time they are needed.

I had forgotten about it because I disable caching of thumbnails on my computers.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
09-03-2005 08:58 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: