What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Hefty hardware requirements for Windows Vista

Hefty hardware requirements for Windows Vista
Author: Message:
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
O.P. Hefty hardware requirements for Windows Vista
http://www.apcstart.com/teched/pivot/entry.php?id=6 to get all of the info .

09-05-2005 06:26 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
user13774
Disabled Account

RE: Hefty hardware requirements for Windows Vista
I think the article itself is a bit confusing:

In the begin of the article it says:
Nigel Page is a strategist with Microsoft Australia. He told APC today that Vista would work best on a video card with more than 256MB RAM, 2GB of DDR3 memory and a S-ATA 2 hard drive.
But this is only the specs you need to run it the best way...

later on it says:
  • "In a 32 bit environment, half a gig of RAM is heaps. It's going to fly. For 64 bit you're going to want 2 gigs of DDR3 RAM.
  • "If you move from 32 to 64 bit, you basically need to at least double your memory. 2 gigs in 64 bit is the equivalent of a gig of RAM on a 32bit machine. That's because you're dealing with chunks that are twice the size… if you try to make do with what you've got you'll see less performance. But RAM is now so cheap, it's hardly an issue.
  • "In terms of disks, you're really going to want S-ATA 2hard drives with NCQ capability because it gives the OS the ability to get on with stuff while disk tasks complete. All the tier 1 and tier 2 vendors can provide this capability today.
  • "Thirdly, the graphics card and system bus is essential. PCI x16 is going to be very important. Any of today's 3D GPUs will be fine… we're not waiting for some mystical monster that may or may not come out. But they need to have 128MB of RAM on it. If they've only got 64 don't panic.
  • "We acknowledge that many corporate notebooks have fairly low-end integrated graphics chips. They're not exactly high performance graphics systems. For those users, we will provide a classic UI that looks like XP, and then we will have Aero that will start to make use of the GPU, and then there's Aero Glass that will demand the higher level
  • "We are talking a year out here, so I have no doubt the vendors will address this in that period of time.”

So they will ajust a couple of features, so that it will run on 'medium-end' pcs

But hey... Win XP doesn't work 'best' on a 800Mhz pc, but it will still run without any problems. If you want to run win xp fluently (that means almost no 'lag/waiting time' when performing certain tasks in windows) you need at least 2 ghz and preferably a fast hdd.
So I guess these hardware requirements are a bit exaggerated. It will run on pc's with lower hardware specs than stated in the article, but I guess it will run like Win XP does on a 800Mhz these days. :happy:

The only thing I wonder about is the graphics card requirements. Graphics are of course important because customers like a nice UI, but why the hell would we want an OS whith such a graphics that it requires a 128 mb graphics card :S..

This post was edited on 09-05-2005 at 08:33 AM by user13774.
09-05-2005 07:50 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Hefty hardware requirements for Windows Vista
quote:
Originally posted by Markus
"In terms of disks, you're really going to want S-ATA 2hard drives with NCQ capability because it gives the OS the ability to get on with stuff while disk tasks complete. All the tier 1 and tier 2 vendors can provide this capability today.
this bit i believe is the better way, SATA1 Drives werent all that Great,  but for Videocard using with Vista, i think should be enough, i think the 256MB statement was a bit to harsh of a comment,
09-05-2005 08:12 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
I doubt the graphics demands will be much of a problem, at least for gamers who have the latest GPUs anyway. And by the time Vista comes out, there'll be an influx of cheap powerful GPUs like the GeForce 7xxx, since there'll be at least a GeForce 8xxx by then.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
09-05-2005 02:33 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Hefty hardware requirements for Windows Vista
quote:
Originally posted by Markus
Graphics are of course important because customers like a nice UI, but why the hell would we want an OS whith such a graphics that it requires a 128 mb graphics card :S..

The entire desktop will be 3D accelerated, and each application window will actually be an interactive texture on a vector object (which you can zoom :D).

This post was edited on 09-06-2005 at 11:07 AM by rav0.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
09-06-2005 11:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
This will offload a lot of graphics processing to the GPU, leaving the CPU to do more appropriate tasks, such as actually running your apps. Overall, there should be a big boost in app performance on Vista.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
09-06-2005 01:12 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Garndell

Welcome to Elvie's World!!!

40 / Male / –
It runs on a (Dual P3 866MHz, 512MB PC800 RAM, Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB, 2x 18GB 10,000rpm SCSI Hard Drives) perfectly fine.  Also on a Athlon XP 2500+, 1GB PC3200 DDR, Radeon 9600XT 128MB, 40GB ATA133 Hard Drive.  Neither of these old machines use a HDCP Compliant Monitor either.

Final Minimum Requirements will more than likely be closer to 1GHz CPU, 512MB DDR or DDR2 RAM (DDR3 may not even be out and at present DDR2 = DDR on performance), 64MB Graphics Card with Hardware T&L Support, 10GB Free HDD Space, Sound Card, Internet Connection (you never know), Mouse & Keyboard.

HDCP will most likely never see light of day in Vista (maybe in the Pro version) as more than 90% of consumers will NOT shell out the premium for a HDCP Compliant Monitor over a generic variant.
[Image: c2-garndell.jpg]
09-06-2005 06:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user13774
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
It runs on a (Dual P3 866MHz, 512MB PC800 RAM, Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB, 2x 18GB 10,000rpm SCSI Hard Drives) perfectly fine.
The beta you mean? The beta has very limited (graphical) features...
09-07-2005 02:19 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: