What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » How's this for a strange problem?

How's this for a strange problem?
Author: Message:
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Huh?  How's this for a strange problem?
I've added a new configuration setting to Phoenix (so yes there will be at least one new feature soon), but it's triggered some very weird behaviour. It's a simple BOOL, like most other config settings, but it's value determines whether it crashes Messenger or not :S
If it's set to 0, everything's fine. If it's set to 1, Messenger 6.2 just crashes, and Messenger 7.0 crashes with an access violation when you want to sign in with another address.

Weird, no?

Edit: And before you say I've done something stupid, I haven't - I've done what I've done with all other BOOL config settings, and they all work.

This post was edited on 09-09-2005 at 01:09 PM by RaceProUK.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
09-09-2005 01:08 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
RE: How's this for a strange problem?
Would you tell us what else codes are using the BOOL variable? Also, if you try to declare it as LONG and assign an initial value when you declare it, would that stop Messenger from crashing?
09-09-2005 01:48 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: How's this for a strange problem?
Apart from a few if (boolVar), I use it in only SendMessage(), RegSetValueEx() and RegQueryValueEx() (typecasted to the correct type of course).
The data is saved in the Registry as REG_BINARY, and is only one byte big. I'm kinda exploiting little-endian here, though that shouldn't matter, since it's a BOOL.

I don't get where it's going wrong, as I have 13 of these BOOLs, and the latest (the 13th) is the only one that causes the problems. All the other 12 work fine, and have always done so.
09-09-2005 04:01 PM
Mnjul
forum super mod

plz wub me

– / Other / Flag
RE: How's this for a strange problem?
Hmm... what I see could be wrong is SendMessage... I know perhaps you use SendMessage for other bool variables and it does work for them, but...would you give us the codes for the crashing one? :)
09-10-2005 03:35 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: How's this for a strange problem?
I actually found the problem, and it's got nothing to do with what I do with the variable. It's actually what I was doing as a result of an if test on the variable i.e. the piece of code i was working on was causing the problem. I've now fixed it so it won't happen again :D

To explain more, I'd set a WInEvent hook to catch changes to the History part of a convo window. Thing is, it was also catching the 'Sign in as someone else' dialog, which obviously has a totally different structure. Add an oversight in error-checking, and presto! crashes galore.
09-10-2005 09:18 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: