What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Windows DOWNGRADE

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
Windows DOWNGRADE
Author: Message:
spokes

I <3 Rollerblading

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Windows DOWNGRADE
i done a full format and reinstall in august...

256MB has never been enough to run my XP, on this computer and my other one, it would b alright if it wasnt constantly on, and wasnt bein used as a webserver

im goin to dual boot it, make a new partition, and install W2k on that, and then copy all my files over from XP, and then in time, delete that partition

oh, and how can i get rid of the grub bootloader?, cause i want to delete my linux partition, but am afraid to, seems its still usin grub

[Image: sig15ws.png]
09-07-2005 09:21 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
einum

Freude am Fahren

49 / Male / –
RE: Windows DOWNGRADE
I don't have a restore CD, I have a clean WinXP install CD, because I didn't buy a branded PC, i built it myself. System restore will not be the best choice, because I have installed a lot of software I wan't to keep after I uninstalled software I didn't want to keep, so a system restore from months ago will lead to the fact that I have to install a lot of the software again. If I need to walk down that road I might as well start from scratch. It's a hell of a job for one afternoon/evening, but then the PC is almost as good as new again.
09-07-2005 09:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by einum
t's a hell of a job for one afternoon/evening, but then the PC is almost as good as new again.

ya but what about activating windows?
[Image: siggy20ss.jpg]
09-07-2005 09:24 PM
spokes

I <3 Rollerblading

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Windows DOWNGRADE
i have a restore cd, but i don't like it, cause iits bundled with loads of crappy HP stuff, that i only end up uninstallin, which normally ends up takin longer than installin the OS itself

[Image: sig15ws.png]
09-07-2005 09:26 PM
einum

Freude am Fahren

49 / Male / –
Actually, I have a legal WinXP!! :|
So that isn't any problem. (H)

Edit: I share spokes opinion on restore CDs! On the other hand, on some old branded PCs (Compaq :@) they are almost necessary, because drivers to a lot of hardware is almost impossible to find.

This post was edited on 09-07-2005 at 09:30 PM by einum.
09-07-2005 09:27 PM
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
actually, I have a legal WinXP!!
ya but u can only use ur key once ...i have a legal copy too but they want u to buy a new product key every time u install it even if it is on the same computer...unless u havent used that key once yet...then thats different.

This post was edited on 09-07-2005 at 09:31 PM by [MR].
09-07-2005 09:30 PM
einum

Freude am Fahren

49 / Male / –
MR_5_MR, that is SO wrong!

I've installed XP several times on the one and only PC I've got, even upgraded mainboard, CPU, RAM, graphics card and disks. The last time I installed XP, probably the fourth or fifth time, and with ALL hardware including floppy and optical diskdrives replaced, I wasn't any longer allowed to use the CD-KEY. So I dialled Microsoft (Norway) and got an activation key over the phone. Easy!
09-07-2005 09:34 PM
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
MR_5_MR, that is SO wrong!

I've installed XP several times on the one and only PC I've got, even upgraded mainboard, CPU, RAM, graphics card and disks. The last time I installed XP, probably the fourth or fifth time, and with ALL hardware including floppy and optical diskdrives replaced, I wasn't any longer allowed to use the CD-KEY. So I dialled Microsoft (Norway) and got an activation key over the phone. Easy!
i didnt say u cant use xp...i said that u cant reactivate it again after using it once...u just have to buy another one or lie to microsoft to get a new key...
09-07-2005 09:37 PM
einum

Freude am Fahren

49 / Male / –
Didn't you read wat I just said? I didn't have to buy or lie or anything. The first 3-4 times I just clicked activation and everything was OK. The last time I installed, I recieved the message that my key was no longer valid, so I called Microsoft, telled them the truth that I had upgraded my PC and needed a new key. No problem at all, I just had do dial another phone number, got an automatic answering machine, entered (on the phone keypad) my old code and the machine read me a new code.

This is no BS!

PS! I don't know how it is in Texas, but here in Norway, when we have bought something, we have the right to use it. (On only one PC of course).

Edit: typos... It's late, almost midnight, and I'm tired!

This post was edited on 09-07-2005 at 09:44 PM by einum.
09-07-2005 09:41 PM
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
he first 3-4 times I just clicked activation and everyything was OK

well maybe u bought several lisenses...? i dunno but the way these software activation things here are sucky!!!  everytime i reinstall xp on the same computer ive had to reactivate..
09-07-2005 09:45 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: