What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Windows DOWNGRADE

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
Windows DOWNGRADE
Author: Message:
einum

Freude am Fahren

49 / Male / –
RE: Windows DOWNGRADE
I only bought ONE license, a student license actually, but the CD-ROM is the same, only the price is different.

We need to activate it for each install here too, but it is normal to upgrade hardware and reinstall the OS on a PC, even MS understands that. But there is only a certain amount of activations allowed per license, so when you exceeds that amount, you need to call MS.

I believe they have some sort of database, so they immediately finds out if the code you try to use has been used dozens of times, and often. In that case it is most likely to believe that the key is illegal.

I assure you, consumers have so strong rights in Norway that even big Microsoft would have had trouble if a person with a legal, bought and valid copy of Win XP wasn't allowed to activate it.

OT: Norway is not a part of the European Union, but because we have signed an Economic Threaty with EU, a lot of regulations from the Union also affects Norway. The Norwegian Parliament actually turned down the MP3-regulations that came from the Union. I believe the EU's MP3-regulation is less strict than what you have in the states. But even so, our government said that the Norwegian people should have more rights digitally copying - but of course not distributing - music that they have bought! And in Norway it is actually legal to borrow music CDs from friends and copy them, as long as you don't widely distribute them, and as long as your friend doesn't make any money of them!

This post was edited on 09-07-2005 at 09:56 PM by einum.
09-07-2005 09:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Windows DOWNGRADE
quote:
Originally posted by einum
I only bought ONE license, a student license actually, but the CD-ROM is the same, only the price is different.

We need to activate it for each install here too, but it is normal to upgrade hardware and reinstall the OS on a PC, even MS understands that. But there is only a certain amount of activations allowed per license, so when you exceeds that amount, you need to call MS.

i didnt know u could get windows activated by telling microsoft that u are installing it on the same PC ...but too bad they only give u so many "incidences" for each product of microsoft's u buy...like i only have one more left until they cost money.
[Image: siggy20ss.jpg]
09-07-2005 09:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
einum

Freude am Fahren

49 / Male / –
Well, the only money spent in my case was a couple of ohone calls.
09-07-2005 10:00 PM
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by einum
Well, the only money spent in my case was a couple of ohone calls.
ya but they have toll free numbers too
[Image: siggy20ss.jpg]
09-07-2005 10:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
einum

Freude am Fahren

49 / Male / –
I don't remember if that number was toll free, normal fee or an expensive number, it was short calls, and a LOT cheaper than buying a new license, and also easier and more convenient than trying to crack XP.
09-07-2005 10:11 PM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by spokes

oh, and how can i get rid of the grub bootloader?, cause i want to delete my linux partition, but am afraid to, seems its still usin grub

When you install Windows, it likes to overwrite the MBR with its crummy mini-bootloader, which then starts the one on the windows partition. But, you can't configure or change grub settings (if it even works) without the linux partition
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
09-07-2005 10:26 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
TazDevil

sleep(0);

40 / Male / Flag
i suggest you buy more memory xp should run ok on 512MB

and you could always go to control panel\system\Advanced\Presformance settings\
and Adjust XP to run for perfomnce,  instead for appearance, so remove all the xp visual graphics crap and end up with a faster machine
this is so common for laptops....

Also you need to format the whole drive in order to create partitions, so everything will be lost,

i once formatted a single hdd to hade 1 partition windows 98SE and teh other partition to have XP, but the problem with 98 is that they are using FAT32 filesystem instted of the one used by XP NTFS, so 98 could not read teh other partition, but xp could read both...
ok their are utilties to fix this....

Generally i dont beleive it is good to hack your hdd in two, it is best you buy another drive.... it strains the motor and hardware staff, so the drive could fail sooner that expected...

My suggestion buy more RAM
i mean you have a processor of 2.6GHz and you give it minimum amount of info (RAM) to work with, so you dont utilise the full potential of the processor

This post was edited on 09-08-2005 at 09:25 AM by TazDevil.
Window Manager is discontinued, for WLM try the new,
Enhancer for contact list docking, auto-hide, hide taskbar button, remove button flashing and remember keyboard layout in conversation windows
09-08-2005 09:23 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by TazDevil
Generally i dont beleive it is good to hack your hdd in two, it is best you buy another drive.... it strains the motor and hardware staff, so the drive could fail sooner that expected...
I'm sorry, but that's a load of bullsh*t. Partitioning a hard drive can actually be beneficial. Far from wearing it out quicker, it'll actually protect you against catastrophic failure! Imagine your Windows partition got nuked - if your work's on a different partition, and/or you have another OS on another partition, you can still use the PC. Not to mention you can get more efficient use of space. The smaller partitions willr esult in smaller cluster sizes = more data can be squeezed on the disk. While not as much of an issue with NTFS, it can still be a benefit (recuded MFT means more space).
I know you can do this with two HDDs as well, but for some that's not an option.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
09-08-2005 11:20 AM
kao
Veteran Member

boring

37 / Male / Flag
xp runs fine on another machine i have on which the cpu is running at 900mhz, 256mb ram and a GF FX 5600, you really shouldn't have any problems at all with xp on your machine.
09-08-2005 11:32 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
TazDevil

sleep(0);

40 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
I'm sorry, but that's a load of bullsh*t. Partitioning a hard drive can actually be beneficial. Far from wearing it out quicker, it'll actually protect you against catastrophic failure! Imagine your Windows partition got nuked - if your work's on a different partition, and/or you have another OS on another partition, you can still use the PC. Not to mention you can get more efficient use of space. The smaller partitions willr esult in smaller cluster sizes = more data can be squeezed on the disk. While not as much of an issue with NTFS, it can still be a benefit (recuded MFT means more space).
I know you can do this with two HDDs as well, but for some that's not an option.

You can argue all you want, i wont dissagree with you, i agree of all the good things this feature provides

But here is a situation:
1 program uses partition 1 and 2 program uses partions 2

if the two programs run simultaneously, this reduces hdd read/write times, beacause you are trying to read/write simultaneously on two different possitions in the harddisk

This might also keep the hdd motor to spin for longer times that normal which causes it to wear out...

This is all i am seing (now you can shoot me :))

This post was edited on 09-08-2005 at 01:36 PM by TazDevil.
Window Manager is discontinued, for WLM try the new,
Enhancer for contact list docking, auto-hide, hide taskbar button, remove button flashing and remember keyboard layout in conversation windows
09-08-2005 01:35 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: