What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Formatting Help

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Formatting Help
Author: Message:
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. Formatting Help
Ok my pc is officially dead after 2 years. I need to reformat. But first. I have some computer games that use a Serial Key just like Microsoft does. If someone else uses it it wont work. That game is UT2004. I have a friend who has the DVD Edition so i borrowed his DVD and Installed with his serial number unfourtunatly when i wanted to go onto my clan server(SSS Clan) it said i had a invalid CD Key. And that is probably because he was using it(duh).  So I baught the game and installed it with my CD key. Went onto my clan server and it worked fine. But now that im reformatting It would remove all my games. So once I install XP again and Install Unreal Tournament 2004 and use my CD Key will it say its invalid??? Well i emailed Atari about this with the same issue around
I wrote this
---------------------------
Hello,

Recently I am getting a new computer for my room. That means will be
formatting this computer and giving it to my mother. The thing is I have
Unreal TOurnament 2004 DVD Edition and i have my cd on the back of the box.
Since i will be formatting i will need to transfer my Unreal TOurnament 2004
to the other hard drive. I would do that but i would like to acutally
install a fresh copy on my new computer. I like to play on my Clan Server
that has a modifacation that checks you CD Key to see if its invalid. If i
formatted my old pc and installed a fresh copy with the new computer and old
key it would say invalid key am I right? My parents are divorced and my Mom
is 6 hours away from me and she has no computer. That is why im giving her
my old one. My old pc has many viruses and spyware and aware virus scanners
cant all remove. Thats why im formatting. I would like to know how I can
install a fresh copy of unreal tournament 2004 on my new computer with the
old CD key. If you coul!
d explain this to me I would be very greatful. Thanks for helping in
Advance,

Sammy Prashker
Canada

And i got a reply 2 days later with this
-------------------------
Sammy,
To play the game online, you must have a distinct cdkey.  That means one
cdkey per copy of the game.  You can use your old cdkey as long as no one
else is using it.

So does that mean once i uninstall the game the CD key is valid again???

Another Question

My bios is at version 9 i think but when i first got the PC it was 1 so if i format will it go back to 1???

Another question

Just Like that thing i asked if it lists all the programs you have is there somethign like that that shows you the proogram serial so i can print em out and once i reinstall those progs i can reuse that serial???

*sigh*  another question

What is a good enough amount  of virtual memory the computer can use. I set it to 1.5 gbs of virtual memory but it only uses 200mb of it.

Another Question

If i format do my harddrives go back to Fat32 because i converted em from Fat32 to NTFs so when i format will it bring it back???

Another Question

For some reason my Microsoft Fax or Pivture viewer never opens. So when i format that will fix.

I think it does cuz its formatting.

Another Question

What would be some good programs for me to get for a good fresh start???

Another question

Can someone link me to all the latest versions of these Stuff for MSN:

A-Patch
Mess Patch
ScreenShot Sender 3
AdControl
(forget the name) - program that makes your text |00k s0m3thïng |ïk3 thïs bût b3tt3®

I think the command for it is /xleet

FileTransfer Pro

etc any other good plugins

Another Question

I only have one Dynamic Display Pic and no regular display pics and its my muggin. Do i use MSN Backup to backup that along with my custom emoticons.
Can someone line to the latest version of MSN Backup???

Another Question

Where do i get XPIze again after i format?

Another Question

I just remember like 20 minutes ago when i first started this that i said i was formatting my unreal tournament. But i remembered i dont have to because its on my D Drive and that only has 2 games on it. Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2004. Will i have to format the whole D Drive or should i leave

Same Issue Question 2

Can i delete the hidden files on my D Drive or will it screw up my PC? The hidden files are those that are selected [Image: DDriveHiddenFiles.jpg]

Ok i think thats it. Will edit if i have anymore.

I  am really sorry if your mad and i asked so many questions but im really pissed. And also System Restore was disable so dont say go back like 5 days and it will be fixed.

EDIT: Removed Answered Questions

This post was edited on 09-12-2005 at 03:14 AM by prashker.
09-11-2005 04:21 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
RE: Formatting Help
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
I have been using my Xp computer for so long. I never wanted to reformat because i would lose all my stuff. I think its because of viruses or something.
So i would like to know the BEST Antivirus Scanner,Adaware Scanner/Spyware Scanner and all the other type of malware for the computer. I have tried the following and none seem to do the job.

Try "Symantec Antivirus Corporate", Its by the makers of Norton but  litterally has no relation to Norton. It takes close to no resources, its a faster scanning engine/more reliable and all.
quote:
Another Question

When I format once u install XP does it ask how many partitions you want? And later once u install a partition to a drive can you remove it and add the space back to the main drive?.
No it doesnt ask for how many partitions you want. But if you can enter the command mode for the CD type "fdisk.exe" and it will bring up the partition manager.
quote:
Another Question

The reason i need a new partition is im installing (against the rules to say) and i need to know how to Multiboot (or Dual Boot) when the PC boots it asks what OS you would like to run. How do i do that?
The computer automaticlly will do that if the operating systems support dual booting.
quote:
Another Question

I have a ShitLoad of Programs. So before i format is there something that can make a list of all your programs so i dont have to go to Program files add remove etc to find all my program i have installed?
Well to be honest, you should remember all the programs you have if you use them.

And thats about all I can do because I have to go.
09-11-2005 04:34 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Formatting Help
quote:
Originally posted by Norma Jean
Try "Symantec Antivirus Corporate", Its by the makers of Norton but  litterally has no relation to Norton. It takes close to no resources, its a faster scanning engine/more reliable and all.

I read reviews of that and read it sucked. It would crash alot and talk 100mb's of ram.

edit and thanks for the rest of that info you gave me.

The reason im asking this is because i have been atempting to fix my pc for 8 hours but im just gonna format.

This post was edited on 09-11-2005 at 04:51 PM by prashker.
09-11-2005 04:47 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
The Napster

I seriously need to change this pic

– / Male / –
I read through most of it, to the part of the USB Hub (qand forgot the rest :p )

If u put a 2.0 USB hub onto a 1.1 conection, the transferrates will not be higher/faster than the 1.1 USB conection.

Depending on the amount of RAM u have. You dont need to change it though. Windows makes it 1.5x ur RAM, i think. But thats more than enough if you have like 1GB RAM +...

About ur Antivirus/Spyware/adware question, i know no program which is efficeint in all 2 areas. I would get a decent abtivirus (I like KAspersky Personal Pro, or AVG Free if u dont want to pay), and the get Hitman Pro 2 (It is a script which installs/updates/runs a series of anti-spyware/adware tools, i would change some settings though before u run, or else it will install too much).
[Image: globesig2.png]
09-11-2005 04:54 PM
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:

I read reviews of that and read it sucked. It would crash alot and talk 100mb's of ram.

edit and thanks for the rest of that info you gave me.

The reason im asking this is because i have been atempting to fix my pc for 8 hours but im just gonna format.

Well, everybody has their own opinion, I strongly suggest you try it yourself. I havent personaly tried NOD32 yet, but it and Symantec Corporate are the most widely favored among neowin so I recomend.
09-11-2005 05:04 PM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
So does that mean once i uninstall the game the CD key is valid again???
Well that's a whole lot of writing:| I didn't read threw all of it because I am sure I can't help with much but the answer to this is:

As long as noone is currently online, at the same time as you, using the same cd-key as you, it is fine. So, for example, if you lend it to a friend, and they install it, they can use it, as long as you are not online playing at that exact moment and vice versa. So you are fine here.

quote:
Another Question

When I format once u install XP does it ask how many partitions you want? And later once u install a partition to a drive can you remove it and add the space back to the main drive?.
Yes. You may remove it, using a program. But having a computer like yours I should say use one partition for windows, and another for everything else:)
quote:
The reason i need a new partition is im installing (against the rules to say) and i need to know how to Multiboot (or Dual Boot) when the PC boots it asks what OS you would like to run. How do i do that?

Simply install both versions in a different partition.

That's it for now. I will help out more later
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
09-11-2005 05:07 PM
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Another qustion

How do i backup FireFox Favourites/Bookmarks??? and once i format how do i put em back???

In a Firefox window press Alt > B > M > Alt > F > E

And to import them again press Alt > B > M > Alt > F > I

This post was edited on 09-11-2005 at 05:39 PM by dotNorma.
09-11-2005 05:39 PM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
Another qustion

How do i backup FireFox Favourites/Bookmarks??? and once i format how do i put em back???

or an easier to remember way:

click that bookmarks menu at the top. Click manage bookmarks. Then at the top click file> export. and to bring them back in same thing but import;)
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
09-11-2005 06:03 PM
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
quote:
quote:
Another qustion

click that bookmarks menu at the top. Click manage bookmarks. Then at the top click file> export. and to bring them back in same thing but import;)

Its the same exact thing but mine uses all keyboard shortcuts. And shouldnt an admin move this to Tech Talk?
09-11-2005 06:24 PM
Vilkku
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Formatting Help
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
quote:
quote:
Another qustion

Its the same exact thing but mine uses all keyboard shortcuts. And shouldnt an admin move this to Tech Talk?

Well, your way only works on the English version (or on a version with same shortcut keys. On my (the Swedish) version it looks like this:

Alt > B > O > Alt > A > E/I

(Bokmärken > Ordna bokmärken... > Arkiv > Importera... / Exportera...)

This post was edited on 09-11-2005 at 06:48 PM by Vilkku.
[Image: signature.php]
09-11-2005 06:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: