What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Internet & Social Isolation

Internet & Social Isolation
Author: Message:
fishybobbins

33 / Male / –
O.P. Internet & Social Isolation
As part of my sociology GCSE I'm investigatin into whether the internet leads to social isolation.  As accomplished users of the internet it would help my project if you could give your views on this subject. Thanks.
09-14-2005 07:48 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Tasha

31 / Female / Flag
RE: Internet & Social Isolation
Hey,
I personally, do not think that the internet leads to social isolation. The people I know who are on the PC quite a lot, also do go out and speak to friends around them all the time. I personally do so as well, and have friends both in and out of the internet, so am not socially isolated. It possibly could lead to social isolation in cases such as you being incredibly shy, or bullied or something - you may find that you are able to communicate more in the internet, so making you even more shy or not able to talk to people outside of the internet.
As a whole, as I said, I do not believe it does cause social isolation. It really depends on the type of person you are, as well. Many do not take talking on the internet as a big and important thing, but for others, it can become their life. :happy:
Hope this made sense and helps. :grin:
www.mycutelobster.co.uk
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry,
but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
09-14-2005 08:00 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
The Internet doesn't cause social isolation, but it has the potential to make it worse. Say someone is socially isolated, and their only means of escape is the Internet. It's only going to compound the problem.

However, if you are socially active, use of the Internet can actually help, by keeping you in touch with friends and family.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
09-14-2005 08:25 PM
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
Well yeah i'm basically hooked on the internet. I guess being on the net helps me to hide behind a persona...through words if it were.

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
It possibly could lead to social isolation in cases such as you being incredibly shy, or bullied or something - you may find that you are able to communicate more in the internet, so making you even more shy or not able to talk to people outside of the internet.

I am shy so I guess this is the reason why I am on the net. I suppose I have three or four friends other than that I don't ususally speak to anyone (apart from familliy or w/e). So yeah on the net I can talk to people I usually don't.

This post was edited on 09-14-2005 at 08:35 PM by _Humphreys.
AC3
09-14-2005 08:33 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Tasha

31 / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Carltos Cool
I guess being on the net helps me to hide behind a persona...through words if it were.

Yes, that is true, but also, being off the internet, you can hide behind a person. I have before, done the very same, and you will find, that is you are one of the people that know me from school, you would not know the true me. It is the very same on the internet, people can hide behind another "mask".

[/off-topic]

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
The Internet doesn't cause social isolation, but it has the potential to make it worse. Say someone is socially isolated, and their only means of escape is the Internet. It's only going to compound the problem.

However, if you are socially active, use of the Internet can actually help, by keeping you in touch with friends and family.

Thats what I was trying to say. :p Yes, if you are already socially isolated, the internet will not help, it will just make it far far worse. Talking to friends, and meeting new people is fine, so long as you don't let those people rule your life, because even if you may meet them some day, it is still going to affect "real life" friendships as well, as you will never talk to people around you.
www.mycutelobster.co.uk
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry,
but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
09-14-2005 08:43 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: