What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Changing Messenger Folder

Changing Messenger Folder
Author: Message:
giken

Windows Live Butterfly

46 / Male / Flag
O.P. Huh?  Changing Messenger Folder
Hi all
I'm installing msn messenger and I don't find any option to choose folder...
It always use %ProgramFiles%\MSN Messenger

Is it possible to move it to another folder after installation without collateral effects?

Do I need to change any registry values/keys?

thanks in advance :)
09-27-2005 06:41 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
trini

– / Female / Flag
RE: Changing Messenger Folder
You can put the MSN folder whenever you like. No need to change anything in registry, but you have to re-assign sounds in control panel - sounds - msn messenger. Mine is on another drive 8-|
09-27-2005 08:19 AM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Changing Messenger Folder
By using this trick you can have multiple versions of MSN on your PC. I myself have four different versions installed (6.2, 7.0, 7.0 Wave11 Glass, 7.5).
[Image: spartaafk.png]
09-27-2005 09:22 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Changing Messenger Folder
quote:
Originally posted by trini
You can put the MSN folder whenever you like. No need to change anything in registry, but you have to re-assign sounds in control panel - sounds - msn messenger. Mine is on another drive 8-|

No you can't!

Well, at least not just like that... You DO have to change things in the registry. Don't think it is 100% correct when there is nothing wrong at first sight though; under the hood, things can and do go very wrong when you simply move msn messenger...

For instance, there are DLL's which need to be registered (eg: msgsc.dll). The path in the registry MUST point to these DLL's otherwise certain stuff will not work anymore. MSN Messenger itself and all its type libraries must also be registered in the registry (with the appropiate paths).

A very quick scan of the registry here already revealed many places where Windows need to have the proper path in the registry.

I you simply go on changing directories of MSN Messenger, Windows can't find certain stuff anymore and gets confussed. Especially take great care when you do install multiple version of MSN Messenger.

Be assure that it is not as strait forward to simply move MSN Messenger and then reinstall another version or whatever. It seems like a strait forward job, but if you know a bit about the registry, typelibs, libraries and other dependencies, and how they all relate you'll see that such actions can/will create serious havoc in the registry and in Windows.

quote:
Originally posted by provolino
Is it possible to move it to another folder after installation without collateral effects?
Without tweaking and without any side effects? Nope... (don't let you be told otherwise ;))

quote:
Originally posted by provolino
Do I need to change any registry values/keys?
Yes, a lot... which ones can be seen easly yourself if you search for the 'old' path. But search not the complete path, search on something like "files\msn messenger" and also repeat that search with "%programfiles%\msn messenger".... or use directly "\msn messenger", but with that you _might_ have some more false positives.

This post was edited on 09-28-2005 at 12:38 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-27-2005 02:55 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: