What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Erasing hard disk?

Erasing hard disk?
Author: Message:
Rodney

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. Erasing hard disk?
How to completely remove all data from a hard disk?
While searching I found this program called Kill Disk, do you know it and is it good?
09-27-2005 04:40 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
RE: Erasing hard disk?
get a floopy disk, load it with a DOS boot, and type A:\format.com
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
09-27-2005 04:44 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
You don't need any program you just have to format the drive.

For Windows 98:

If you have Windows 98 or Windows ME: Create or acquire a Windows 98 or ME startup floppy disk. This disk can be created using the Add/Remove Programs feature in the Control Panel. Once you've backed up your data files, turn off your computer, insert the startup disk into the disk drive, and then restart your computer. When the computer boots off the floppy disk, a menu will appear; leave it on the option to start up with CD-Rom support (so you can use the CD-Rom drive). Once the computer is finished loading the files, use the Format command to format the hard drive that had Windows on it (usually it's your C drive, so the command is format c:).

Once the format is complete, insert your Windows CD into the CD-Rom drive and switch over to this drive (if your CD used to be drive D, it is probably now drive E, so use the command e: to access the CD drive), and run the setup program by typing setup.

Once Windows is reinstalled, you will have to reinstall your other programs individually.

For Windows 2000 or above:

f you have Windows NT, Windows 2000, or Windows XP: You can format your hard drive as part of the Windows installation process. If your computer is only a few years old and can boot from the CD-Rom drive, simply turn off your computer, insert your Windows CD into the CD-Rom drive, and restart your computer (if the Windows setup does not begin, check your BIOS settings to make sure your computer is configured to try and boot from a CD). If your computer is an older system or you cannot figure out how to make it boot from the CD, you will need to create setup disks (note: there are no setup disks for Windows XP--you have to run the installation from the XP CD). To create the setup disks, insert your CD into a working Windows computer and do the following:

* Windows NT (3 disks): Click on the Start button, choose Run, and type D:\i386\winnt32 /ox, where D is the letter for the CD-Rom drive.

* Windows 2000 (4 disks): Go into the bootdisk directory on the Windows 2000 CD and double-click on the makebt32.exe file (you can also consult our earlier web page on making Windows 2000 boot disks).

* Windows XP: If you have a broadband connection that is always on, you must take countermeasures to prevent your Windows XP machine from being reinfected. Please view and print these cautions prior to proceeding.

Turn off your computer, then restart it with either your Windows CD or the setup disks. During the setup process, you will have the option of formatting your hard drive; choose that option to erase your damaged/hacked Windows installation, and proceed with the reinstall.

Once Windows is reinstalled, you will have to reinstall your other programs individually from your original install disks.
AC3
09-27-2005 04:44 PM
Rodney

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Erasing hard disk?
This pc will be donated so I actually wanted to make the data unrecoverable, but I guess that's not really necessary... Now I just need to figure out which Windows version it has installed before I go there cause it's not my own; I just need to empty it :P
09-27-2005 04:57 PM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
you could burn the hard drive or pass it through a really strong magnetic field...
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
09-27-2005 05:12 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Rodney

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Erasing hard disk?
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
you could burn the hard drive or pass it through a really strong magnetic field...

:rofl:

I currently can't talk to the owner of the pc to ask which OS is installed, but I think it's XP. Either way I'll just wait now.
09-27-2005 05:25 PM
Rodney

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Erasing hard disk?
DBAN looks good, it doesn't matter what OS is installed I hope?
09-27-2005 06:35 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Rodney
How to completely remove all data from a hard disk?
While searching I found this program called Kill Disk, do you know it and is it good?
quote:
Originally posted by Rodney
This pc will be donated so I actually wanted to make the data unrecoverable, but I guess that's not really necessary... Now I just need to figure out which Windows version it has installed before I go there cause it's not my own; I just need to empty it :P

CookieRevised's reply to Full erase
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-27-2005 07:19 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: