What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » Bad Portuguese translation for 3.6 on sponsor installation screen

Bad Portuguese translation for 3.6 on sponsor installation screen
Author: Message:
jvlppm

O.P. Bad Portuguese translation for 3.6 on sponsor installation screen
HAHA

on the message about installing adware

the original english message says

install bla bla bla ( "thank you!" )

and was baddly translated to

install bla bla bla ( "obrigado" )

that on portuguese means thank you, but the alone word means
needed or forced

like you cant use plus without install that stuff

the message should be ( "muito obrigado" ) to avoid mistakes

ps: i'm brazilian and i dont know if that is the same case for not brazilian portuguese

This post was edited on 09-28-2005 at 12:14 AM by jvlppm.
09-27-2005 10:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Gonçalo F.

– / Male / Flag
RE: Bad Portuguese translation for 3.6 on sponsor installation screen
Olá

I understand your question, we could have used "muito obrigado" but we didn't, and there are two reasons for it.
There's the matter of available room to have the text on, and i don't assure you that "muito" would fit on that line, and even it it could actualy fit, there's the translaction accuracy problem. What i mean is, if the original english was "thank you very much", we would defenetly translate to "muito obrigado", as it is just "thank you" we believe it's more accurate with "obrigado".

Anyway we will take note on this. Thank you.
09-28-2005 06:00 AM
Heyder

Dr. Heyder

49 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by jvlppm
HAHA...

Beleza JVLPPM. Não se preocupe. Na tradução para o português do Brasil que devo estar postanto no mais tardar amanhã 29/09 seguirá exatamente sua idéia. :)
09-28-2005 06:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
jvlppm

O.P. RE: RE: Bad Portuguese translation for 3.6 on sponsor installation screen
quote:
Originally posted by Heyder
quote:
HAHA...

Beleza JVLPPM. Não se preocupe. Na tradução para o português do Brasil que devo estar postanto no mais tardar amanhã 29/09 seguirá exatamente sua idéia. :)

mas n eh oficial e quem baxa o treco primeiro v o portugues daquele modo

o quanto ao carinha tradutor, fica inventando besterinha pra defende o msgplus, o mesmo texto podia ser traduzido pra agradeço

the text could be translated to "agradeço" that is smaller than "thank you" and dont have any other mean

obrigado...
como se eu foce obrigado a instala quele treco
("as if I was obliged to install that") google translated

This post was edited on 09-28-2005 at 10:28 PM by jvlppm.
09-28-2005 10:23 PM
Heyder

Dr. Heyder

49 / Male / Flag
Tongue  RE: Bad Portuguese translation for 3.6 on sponsor installation screen
Já se encontra no forum a nova tradução para o Português do Brasil v3.60.144 traduzida por mim diretamente do arquivo original em inglês. Confira. Usei a palavra "Agradecemos", visto que quem agradece é um grupo de patrocínio. Penso que assim, não há como haver confusão.

Obs: Ok. Como minha tradução não encontra-se no setup, não dá pra ver minha tradução na instalação (que pena... quem sabe um dia!). Assim, nós brasileiros somos obrigados a assistir a instalação em português de portugal... (com ficheiros e obrigado!)... Mas não esquente sua cuca! Desfrute, logo depois, de um português digno dos Brasileiros!!!

Baixe o arquivo aqui:
-->> http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=51158 :dodgyomar:

Dr. Heyder (H)

This post was edited on 10-03-2005 at 07:08 PM by Heyder.
09-29-2005 11:56 PM
VuDu

"obrigado" used in that context as a stand alone word means "thank you".
"obrigado" used after a verb means "obligated".
One is an adjectivo and the other is an adverbio.
The exclamation mark is very helpful to shred the doubts.

This shows how pour your Portuguese is, even in Brazil I doubt that were made new rules about this. Watching the way you type in Portuguese we realise how unsure about the Portuguese grammar you are.

There might be some confusion brought by misunderstanding the grammar rules. It's not the translator's fault but ignorance from those who read.

There's also the option to volunteer as a Brazilian Portuguese translator and offer a better alternative, but for what I've seen here, both "agradecemos" and "agradeço" are not good alternatives.
The "muito obrigado" would be a perfect solution but like Gonçalo F. said there is the space and translation accuracy problem. For what i have seen there is enough room for the "muito" word. I think that if you politely suggest Patchou to allow the use of "thank you very much" instead of "thank you" in the Portuguese translation this discussion would reach an end.

By the way, I'm in no way related to the Msg Plus! development, so I'd appreciate if you didn't reply to me the way you did to Gonçalo F. . It'd also be nice if you obeyed the rules and typed english in this forum.
[Image: sig1.gif]
Ad decus et ad libertatem nati sumus
Aut haec teneamus aut cum dignitate moriamur
10-08-2005 11:09 AM
Heyder

Dr. Heyder

49 / Male / Flag
Dodgy  RE: RE: Bad Portuguese translation for 3.6 on sponsor installation screen
quote:
Originally posted by VuDu 1) ...This shows how pour your Portuguese is, even in Brazil I doubt that were made new rules about this. Watching...There might be some confusion brought by misunderstanding the grammar rules. It's not the translator's fault but ignorance from those who read.
2) By the way, I'm in no way related to the Msg Plus! development, so I'd appreciate if you didn't reply to me the way you did to Gonçalo F. . 3) It'd also be nice if you obeyed the rules and typed english in this forum.
1) You don't understand ANYTHING of Brazilian grammar and orthography. Don't write foolishness... (N)
2) ???? :'(
3) You don't also understand ANYTHING of rules of the forum... look down: :deal:
"Languages: All posts should be written in the English language. If you post in a different language, you must provide an English translation. This rule does not apply to the Translation forum."
10-26-2005 01:53 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
1) please stop bickering and reviving this PT vs. BR discussion over and over again. All things have been said before...

... There is an official Portuguese translation, and Heyder currently provides an unoffical Brazialian version, good or not, period.

2) Nobody is involved in the Messenger Plus! development, not even translators. Only Patchou develops Messenger Plus!. What people can do is making suggestions, nothing more.

3) The rule indeed doesn't apply to the translation forum. But it is appriciated if you still provide an English translation in such general discussions.

The rule and its exception is there so stuff can be discussed which is hard to explain in only English. It is not meant to "hide" general discussions or to make a discussion only accessable for certain foreign people.

quote:
Originally posted by VuDu
I think that if you politely suggest Patchou to allow the use of "thank you very much" instead of "thank you" in the Portuguese translation this discussion would reach an end.
If a good translation requires you to make it into "thank you very much" instead of "thank you" or it would end discussions, then by all means do it!!

A translation doesn't need to be literally word for word at all! The job of a good translator is to reconize where he/she must translate literally or where he/she can make a very extremely small variation so it makes more sense in his/her own native tongue. Translating doesn't mean literally translating word for word, that's the job for automatic online translator programs.

This post was edited on 10-26-2005 at 10:34 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-26-2005 10:32 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:

o quanto ao carinha tradutor, fica inventando besterinha pra defende o msgplus, o mesmo texto podia ser traduzido pra agradeço

És português ? Bem me parecia que não. Se fosses sabias que o Agradeço não entra no contexto. Nós portugueses não temos qualquer razao de queixa da tradução/tradutores pois o trabalho deles é optimo.. Voces ja tem a tradução do heyder..O que é que querem mais ? Tradução Oficial ? Arranjem maneira de a ter, agora nao nos chateiem mais.

quote:

install bla bla bla ( "obrigado" )

that on portuguese means thank you, but the alone word means
needed or forced

Needed / Forced ?

Isso é quando tem o verbo Ser atrás (por exemplo)  :

Sou Obrigado a fazer isto até amanhã

E nao quando dito numa frase normalmente :

Que engraçado, Obrigado!

This post was edited on 11-27-2005 at 02:45 PM by Jhrono.
11-27-2005 02:41 PM
Heyder

Dr. Heyder

49 / Male / Flag
Wink  RE: RE: Bad Portuguese translation for 3.6 on sponsor installation screen
Johny:

Independentemente das críticas e problemas outros em relação à tradução Brasileira ou Portuguesa, penso que o problema da palavra "Obrigado" como foi usada na tradução portuguêsa é que, para os Brasileiros PODE ter sentido duplo. Por essa e outras diferenças entre nosos idiomas, persiste nossa insistência com Patchou e seus administradores para validar a tradução brasileira como oficial.

Neste caso específico, por tratar-se de uma pergunta feita ao usuário, para um brasileiro que lê a instalação, o "(Obrigado)" no final da frase PODE ter um sentido de "obrigatório". Para evitar este duplo sentido, a substituição correta na tradução brasileira, seria "Agradecemos", "Gratos", etc.

De qualquer forma, Johny, como a tradução brasileira não encontra-se no arquivo de instalação (SETUP.EXE), não temos como realizar esta mudança.

Caro Johny:

Mesmo que nossos idiomas sejam parecidos e - ambos Brasileiros e Portuguêses - possamos entender nossas traduções, há muitos detalhes diferentes, tanto na forma de escrever as palavras como no sentido compreendido delas por quem as lê. É por isso que, nós Brasileiros, sempre voltamos a tocar no assunto Tradução Oficial Brasileira do Messenger Plus!

Gostaria de ratificar meu apreço pelos portuguêses. Tenho muitos amigos portuguêses que moram aqui no Brasil e aí em Portugal. Penso que qualquer comentário ou mesmo crítica poderá ser útil, desde que postado com educação e boa intenção.

Feliz ano novo de 2006 para você e todos os portuguêses. :o)

Grande abraço,
Dr. Heyder (H)

This post was edited on 01-25-2006 at 05:40 PM by Heyder.
01-11-2006 04:42 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: