What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Prehistoric Creature (spider) to be cloned back to life?

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Prehistoric Creature (spider) to be cloned back to life?
Author: Message:
Tasha

31 / Female / Flag
RE: Prehistoric Creature (spider) to be cloned back to life?
I just think cloning is wrong... No matter what you are cloning. Everything should be allowed to live and die naturally, and without the fear that if it is somehow preserved it will be cloned back to life. And yes, what if this spider thing brings some disease to the world? You never know.
IMHO, the past is the past, it shouldn't be messed with, nor should anything that died in the past be bought back to life... These animals became extinct or died out for a reason...
And so, you find out soon that you can clone yourself, you can clone anything and everything, what kind of world will we be living in then?
I don't think we should interfere with anything natural, it is plain wrong in my eyes. I don't care how much right it can be done for, what's the point in cloning everything just to see how things were, or cloning something just so you can have two, or more, of that human or animal... Personally, I would be horrified if I turned around and saw another person that looked exactly like me...
And with cloning, you won't be able to study how it would have acted back then. All you are doing is taking the looks of an animal, not how it acts. How it acts depends on everything and anything in the environment and how it is bought up...

I'm no scientist, that's just what I have learned and what I think...

This post was edited on 10-01-2005 at 12:23 PM by Tasha.
www.mycutelobster.co.uk
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry,
but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
10-01-2005 12:09 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
azn angel

rawr

– / Female / –
but whats natural and whats not?
TREKIE IS MY HOMEBOY <3
10-01-2005 12:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Tasha

31 / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by azn angel
but whats natural and whats not?

That's quite true, I just think natural is living and dieing without any scientific experiments involved, but after all, there could be many different opinions on what is natural...
www.mycutelobster.co.uk
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry,
but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
10-01-2005 12:32 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Tasha

I just think cloning is wrong... No matter what you are cloning. Everything should be allowed to live and die naturally, and without the fear that if it is somehow preserved it will be cloned back to life. And yes, what if this spider thing brings some disease to the world? You never know.
Well there's no plan to clone the spider, atm. But it may be possible by injecting extracted cells into spider eggs, but it may not even work, 20 million years is a long time for a cell...not to mention a compatable spider egg.

I'd be in favour of cloning the spider, because of the fact its so old and different. It would be interesting to use as evolutionary research ect. However making loads wouldn't be a good idea. This spider isn't part of the ecosystem anymore...nor might it fit in.

This post was edited on 10-01-2005 at 12:36 PM by Anubis.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
10-01-2005 12:33 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Negro_Joe

Go!Go!Go!

34 / Male / –
i think cloning can be productive for havn't here been case of children being saved by cloning and things.. im not sure but i think it can be good if controlled....

[Image: sinavatar4ie.jpg]

10-01-2005 01:19 PM
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
I don't think the spider should be cloned, the spider was made extinct because it couldn't fit in the changing world, everything happens for a reason, and it doesn't do well to dig up the past.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
10-01-2005 01:24 PM
Fourjays

Jaguar E-Type

36 / Male / –
The reason why the spider is extinct, is probably because it could no longer survive in our world. ie: the climate became much colder/warmer than the spider could survive in. Or maybe the food it survived on also became extinct, and it could no longer survive...

Even if they managed to successfully clone it, I doubt it would last long before dying of hunger or something.

I don't think humans should mess with mother nature at all. All we will end up doing is screwing things up... I can't stress enough how bad it would be to start cloning things on a regular basis.
[Image: msgsig7yx.jpg]
A new range of internet based services... Coming Soon(ish)! - www.fortheinter.net
10-01-2005 01:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
DragonX

40 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
And with cloning, you won't be able to study how it would have acted back then. All you are doing is taking the looks of an animal, not how it acts. How it acts depends on everything and anything in the environment and how it is bought up...

That's not entirely true, DNA or RNA sequences have been thought to contain the very primal behaviors of a species - the drive to survive and such. For example, even a just born baby knows what hunger is when in fact he's never eaten before, and it has been shown that the can swim too! (wow, i actually remembered something from biology). The only way to find out would indeed be to clone it.

----------

Just curious as too yur answers, if they could clone just a body part, like a liver, heart or lungs from stem cells would that be just as bad?

And who knows, maybe the movie "The Island" could one day become a reality ;)
[Image: dsd-mi_616175.png]
10-01-2005 02:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
oh university of manchester, fantastic, ill look in local newspapers then.

And yes I parially agree with Tasha but i think cloning does have an upside for example, if its used to save a life. But the spider, whats the point, aside from the fact it could have some deadly disease...
10-01-2005 02:44 PM
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by mwe99
But the spider, whats the point, aside from the fact it could have some deadly disease...
or maybe help cure at this stage uncurable diseases, or maybe hlp against common bug problems, or maybe discover how other things work and then take advantage of that.

or even just practice cloning! hell even would be possible!

This post was edited on 10-01-2005 at 02:57 PM by Millenium_edition.
10-01-2005 02:57 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: