What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » MSN Messenger 7.5 only for XP?

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
MSN Messenger 7.5 only for XP?
Author: Message:
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
RE: MSN Messenger 7.5 only for XP?
I think, if I can recall correctly, one of the programers on the mess.be forums stated that the only thing that is xp-only in MSN Messenger 7.5 was the sound clips thing.
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
10-02-2005 04:19 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
ermmm... you can never make something 100% compatible for 9x/2k if it was specifically designed for NT or higher. Some stuff is simply not build in into older OS's.

Other than that, MS is gradually building down on their support for old OS's.
Yeah they stopped the support and updates for 9x windows (i guess so ppl would finally upgrade :P not seriously ....)

Some stuff which will never be compatible:
The curvy looks
Transperency (given by msg plus! .... still)
Feature to remove the top bar thingy of the main window ....

And yes this was in that certain "gals" blog .... the one who is a MS developer ..... she said that finally they decided to move on ....

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
(wich i don't think is the case here)
True cause they are trying to stop everything (security upgrades and everything) for older OS'es just to push ppl to have the latest windows versions ..... upcomming vista or atleast xp

I guess it must be tough for them too to maintain all the security upgrades for all os'es so the are doing only the ones with NT bases ;)

If anyone cares .... i would just like to add that i heard somewhere that microsoft confirmed the fact that they are gonna release another special pack (viz SP 3) soon :)
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
10-02-2005 05:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pyro

The Frog Is Back!

31 / Male / –
dang thats a pitty :(
[Image: angusl.png]
/!\5609 days, 16 hours, 8 minutes, 53 seconds ago Until Xmas!!/!\
10-02-2005 11:27 PM
giken

Windows Live Butterfly

46 / Male / Flag
how can I make localized version compatible with win2k?
10-04-2005 01:50 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
EvilSeph
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
This is proof that MSN is listening to its users. Ever since the 7th generation of MSN Messenger, we've been complaining about filesize. With the release of 7.5, the filesize can, theoretically, be decreased thanks to the drop of support for older Operating Systems. Yes, I find it funny too that, the current setup's filesize is bigger than any previous release - especially since they've REMOVED a number of components (ie. older Operating System installers)...I'm confused as to why it is LARGER. Still, I've been told that this is for the best and from here on out, there's a big possibility that installers will be smaller. This was stated on a number of *unofficial* MSN Messenger news sites.

Don't forget the major improvement in the updating system MSN Messenger uses. Instead of you having to download the whole setup again, you merely have to download the patch. What used to take 20 or so minutes (for me at least), now takes a few seconds to update MSN Messenger.

I think what MSN is doing is right. Besides, it's time for those using older Operating Systems to get with the program. People always complain about security, but I never see them updating. They're still using ancient versions of Operating Systems that aren't recieving any security patches or updates of any kind, officially. It's not surprise that the general mentality is Windows is overly insecure. No one updates it. I've been to a number of my friends' houses and each of their computers is not even on SP1. Never mind that, they aren't even up-to-date with pre-SP1 updates... It really saddens me and I'm glad Microsoft is finally forcing everyone to move ahead.
10-04-2005 02:41 AM
giken

Windows Live Butterfly

46 / Male / Flag
I agree with you Evil but at work we use win2k on all clients and my bosses are not going to update them to xp because of licenses pricing
10-04-2005 09:19 AM
Ahmad

@hmad

40 / Male / –
True Seph..

But I just dont get all these people complaining that 7.5 is only for XP. MSN still has versions compatible with 9x and 2k available on their website.

Messenger 7.5 is not much different to 7.0, just a couple of extra features, and even though I modified the installer to work on 2k, the voice clips feature doesn't work. Even with that problem, people are still happy because now the About box says 7.5.

So, what I suggest for 9x/2k users is that they reshack the version number of their current Messenger, that should make them happy! It sounds silly doesn't it? Because it is...
10-04-2005 10:01 AM
Ahmad

@hmad

40 / Male / –
New developments!

The Voice Clip feature will not work on Windows 2000 if you have not run the Audio Tuning Wizard (Audio and Video Setup) first.

I installed 7.0.0816 and went through the wizard and completed it. Then I installed 7.5.0306 (with the modified installer) and was then able to successfully use the Voice Clip feature!

Have fun! ;)

This post was edited on 10-08-2005 at 10:18 AM by Ahmad.
10-05-2005 09:50 AM
Odin.EXE

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: MSN Messenger 7.5 only for XP?
Well not everyone are capable of getting a darn new OS disc to install on their computer. Or some people computer isn't really good for upgrading to XP.

It's not like those "ancients" doesn't want to upgrade. I, too, hope to upgrade my OS to newer version. But the fact is my family is too poor to affort just the CD or a new computer (I really need new computer now since this one is starting to dies. Not even worth to fix or upgrade the graphic card or whatever it is inside)

I know microsoft is pushing people to get newer OS. I'm not like others who you guys said that doesn't really give a damn to go Window Update. I do that offen but not now since lol you guys know Window ME doesn't have anything to update.

lol msn 7.5 looks like far from complete. I'm not trying to start a fight here. I just say how some "ancients" like me felt about moving on to newer OS and etc...

This post was edited on 10-08-2005 at 10:13 AM by Odin.EXE.
[Image: ashtearxf7.jpg]
10-08-2005 10:07 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Guide: Installing MSN Messenger 7.5 in Windows 2000

Download the exe installer file for MSN Messenger 7.5.
Open the file in a programme such as Winrar and extract MsnMsgs.msi file.

Start up your favourite Hex editor and change the value below:

Offset:      155C0
Original:  31
Patched:  30

Then save the file. You will now be able to install this on windows 2000.

that's how ahmad done it and i'm sure it's possible for other os' too just need to change some things and have that os to test it :)
10-08-2005 10:28 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: