What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » GDI GDI Resource Leaks

GDI GDI Resource Leaks
Author: Message:
_Guido_

42 / Male / –
O.P. GDI GDI Resource Leaks
Hey!,
I think I've found some GDI Resource Leaks:
I've ran MSN Messenger (7.5.0299) with Messenger Plus 3.61.145 through GDIUsage to trace GDI resource usage snapshots.
The bug is:
I take a snapshot of MSN without any conversation window opened. Just the user list.
Then I open a Conversation Window, close it and take another snapshot. The logic says that the GDI resource usage count must remain the same. But there are two resources that remain allocated: a Bitmap and a MemDC. Then I inspect the MemDC and it contains the bitmap that's placed to the left of the input box (the one with the Plus logo and the little speaker).
This happens everytime I open and then close the window... so, for every open-close (I've not tried typing yet), 2 GDI resources get leaked.

--- EDITED: Removed another suspected leak ---

Although I'm pretty busy, I'll try to keep searching for these leaks (I had to do it because I work also with flash and development IDEs, and everytime i checked the GDI resource usage, MSN was in it's 1400 or so resources -compared to the 300 or so that get allocated on execution and login-).

Kind Regards,
Guido Scalise
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria

Edit: I've double checked the "leak" in About dialog and It wasn't a leak really.

This post was edited on 10-06-2005 at 11:13 AM by _Guido_.
10-06-2005 11:11 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
RE: GDI GDI Resource Leaks
Hi Guido,

thank you very much for this detailed report. The info you gave me is precise so I'll answer the same way: what you observed is a normal behaviour in Messenger Plus!: when you open a chat window, several objects are created. When you close it, these objects are kept alive for some time for several technical reasons. The deletion routine will be called next time a chat window (any chat window) is closed after at least 20 seconds since the original window was closed (hope I'm making sense).

That being said, there could be a leak somewhere else, I'd appreciate if you could check the other objects you noticed. As for the high count of GDI objects, you could easily get over 1,000 with more than 6 chats opened but this number should go back to about 500 when those chat windows are closed.
[Image: signature2.gif]
10-12-2005 05:36 PM
_Guido_

42 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: GDI GDI Resource Leaks
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Hi Guido,

thank you very much for this detailed report. The info you gave me is precise so I'll answer the same way: what you observed is a normal behaviour in Messenger Plus!: when you open a chat window, several objects are created. When you close it, these objects are kept alive for some time for several technical reasons. The deletion routine will be called next time a chat window (any chat window) is closed after at least 20 seconds since the original window was closed (hope I'm making sense).

That being said, there could be a leak somewhere else, I'd appreciate if you could check the other objects you noticed. As for the high count of GDI objects, you could easily get over 1,000 with more than 6 chats opened but this number should go back to about 500 when those chat windows are closed.

Hi again!,
   I checked the behaviour before posting the bug, as at first I thought it could be related to some sort of resource recollection -as you stated-. There are some objects that get deleted after some minutes, but these Bitmap and MemDCs stay allocated for hours -so probably they're actually leaked resources-.

Kind regards,
Guido

This post was edited on 10-12-2005 at 06:21 PM by _Guido_.
10-12-2005 06:20 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: