What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Holy crap!!

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Holy crap!!
Author: Message:
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Holy crap!!
No, From aira (www.aria.co.uk) Search diy. That one
It came fully esembled i bought a new case and swapped them ( so i do have a spair psu) and thats when it blew up!
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

10-06-2005 06:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: Holy crap!!
If the motherboard/components were fried, then you would see that they resembled that of my cooking.
10-06-2005 06:36 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Nathan
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
:p lol, Problem is you know those tiny plugs for the case the ones that you need to put in to be able to use the switch on button/reset/hdd l.e.d etc how would i get instructions to were they go cos i took them out to stop spreadig of electricity
My motherboard is Foxconn NF4K8AC-RS thanks
I've tried there website and googleing ( but my googleins skills are crap!)

10-06-2005 06:42 PM
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak
:p lol, Problem is you know those tiny plugs for the case the ones that you need to put in to be able to use the switch on button/reset/hdd l.e.d etc how would i get instructions to were they go cos i took them out to stop spreadig of electricity
it would be quite difficult, because when i helped my friend to change his case, i told him to note down what order they went in and drew a diagram. but you should be able to do it if your look in the rite places
10-06-2005 06:45 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
quote:
e ones that you need to put in to be able to use the switch on button/reset/hdd l.e.d etc how would i get instructions to were they go cos i took them out to stop spreadig of electricity

RTFM :P. Page 12 has a labeled image showing where every thing goes.

This post was edited on 10-06-2005 at 06:54 PM by Plik.
10-06-2005 06:53 PM
multimillion2k

– / Male / –
quote:
How would you tell if any of the components/motherbaord is fried?
Generally if you've fried something you can smell a bit of burning (a bit like when you put a cd into the microwave) and you might see some carbon residue around the burnt area (black powder).
10-06-2005 07:17 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
When you turn on the power (if you dont have those cases plugs plugged in) would anything happen?
My mum seems to think the motherbaord is fried but i think different.
she says if the fans on the board dont fire up when switchted on its fried!

10-07-2005 07:13 AM
surfichris
Former Admin

That could also just mean there is no power from the power supply. Nothing will boot without the power supply working.
quote:
When you turn on the power (if you dont have those cases plugs plugged in) would anything happen?
No, because without the power switch button connected it cannot boot.You may see an indicator light on the motherboard if it has one built in (alot of new ones ship with LED's to show you if the motherboard is receiving power or not).

If you saw sparks around the PSU (and only the PSU) then it is fairly safe to assume the PSU is the only part affected - however you won't know until you can try another one. If there was sparking around near the motherboard, then it's time to look it up.

Oh, also, about them not offering anything under the warranty. All parts you purchased would have come with 12 months manufactuers warranty. That has nothing to do with who you bought it off, and they can't knock you back if you need something replaced - they need to organise the RMA and transfer (Return to manufactuer). The only part they have in it is they are the ones who send the broken parts off to get replacements.

Manufactuers warranty is NOT the warranty the store offers, they should, however, be able to return parts that are faulty or not working.
10-07-2005 07:32 AM
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Aria are actually a quite decent company, hell i might even apply for a job.

http://www.aria.co.uk/RMAEntry.asp

try that, if not email them and they'll return it or exhchange
10-07-2005 11:04 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Holy crap!!
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
quote:
No aria said "sorry this is not part of our warranty. You should of checked the psu!"
They can't say that to you, you shouldn't have to check the PSU before you start a computer
They most likely meant check the PSU if it is in the right setting!!!! Some PSU's can run on 220V or on 120V depending in which country and thus on what kind of power grid you are... Just as -dt- said:
quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
hahaha you didnt have the red switch on the back switched the right way for your country?

If that is something you did not do, than it is quite possible that the warrenty indeed doesn't cover that as it is your own fault.

----

quote:
I plugged it in and i switched it on and it sparked inside the psu. looked in side part is fried.
1) opening the computer case often violates the warrenty.
2) opening the PSU voids the warrenty for sure!!!!

----

quote:
Originally posted by Madman
Edit: If it came with no instructions then you can complain because most people wont know about the voltage changeing switch
Although correct, complaining doesn't mean they must replace the broken part. I'm not even sure if they legally must provide instructions.

----

About the "no instructions": It could be well possible that somewhere on their site there is a general instructions page which clearly states that you need to check the voltage switch on such switchable PSU's before turning on the PC. This page could also be a small print when you ordered the PC. Or it could be on your HDD (yes, I know that's kind of stupid, but it often happens)... All this just to say that many times there are instructions given one way or the other, it is only that many people overlook them. They might even simply put a small text saying "computer sold as-is" meaning you only get what you see and if you buy it, you agree with that. The question if all this is "correct" and user-friendly or not doesn't matter.

(on a personal note: I wouldn't buy ANY computer, no matter what price, if it doesn't come with a full mobo manual and other original manuals of the manufacture, unless I'm 500% certain I know exactly what type of components they've used and where to find the original manuals for them)

----

quote:
Originally posted by multimillion2k
quote:
How would you tell if any of the components/motherbaord is fried?
Generally if you've fried something you can smell a bit of burning (a bit like when you put a cd into the microwave) and you might see some carbon residue around the burnt area (black powder).

A chip is often already 'fried' without any visual indication. A chip doesn't need much to fry. In most cases you see (and smell) absolutely nothing on broken mobo's.

eg: it only takes a very tiny scratch on the surface or an interruption on one of the layers of the mobo to brake it. If this happens in one of the layers inbetween (a mobo often consists of multiple layers) you even wouldn't see it under the magnifying glass.

----

Some interesting stuff (note that these are very common things and many companies have more or less the same terms)
quote:
http://www.aria.co.uk/Terms.asp

Format of the contract
vii) Aria Technology Ltd gives no assurance as to the mutual compatibility of components sold on any single invoice. It is the responsibility of the buyer to ensure that the goods purchased are suitable for the purpose intended. Advice sought by the customer from the Company in this respect may be given but cannot be relied upon by the customer or guaranteed by the Company unless the Company has access to the working system and the ability to carry out a full inspection of any software or operating system.

Delivery
ix) Upon receipt of your order you will be asked to sign for the goods received in good condition. If the package does not appear to be in good condition then please refuse the delivery. If you are unable to check the contents of your delivery at the point of delivery then please sign for the parcel as “UNCHECKED”. Failure to do so may affect any warranty claims that you make thereafter.

Your right of cancellation
1) You have the right to cancel the contract at any time up to the end of 7 working days after you receive the goods (see below).
2) To exercise your right of cancellation, you must give written notice to the Supplier by hand, post or via email to cserv@aria.co.uk , giving details of the goods ordered and (where appropriate) their delivery. Notification by phone is not sufficient.
3) etc...

Warranty
1) All goods supplied by the Supplier are warranted free from defects for 12 months from the date of supply (unless otherwise stated). This warranty does not affect your statutory rights as a consumer.
2) This warranty does not apply to any defect in the goods arising from fair wear and tear, wilful damage, accident, negligence by you or any third party, use otherwise than as recommended by the Supplier, failure to follow the Supplier´s instructions, or any alteration or repair carried out without the Supplier´s approval.
7) Items purchased from the Bargain Basement or sold at a special price as end of line or for other reasons that prevent them from being sold as new are sold with a 30 day warranty only. These items may be second user, refurbished or discontinued stock. They may be missing drivers, manuals, cables and accessories. Packaging, if supplied, may not be in new condition. All items are tested working.
8) Any items which are returned under the warranty and are found to be in a working condition will be charged a testing fee of £10 or 10% of the value of the goods, whichever is the greater.

---------

Now, all the things said is assuming the PSU has got a voltage switch. It is a small red switch, often covered by a translucent plastic cover (see No 3 on the image):
[Image: quingu_01.jpg]   [Image: quingu_12.jpg]  [Image: quingu_13.jpg]

If it doesn't have that, than it most certainly is/was a faulty PSU and your are intitled to a refund or replacement (unless you've broken the warrenty).

Or it could be that the PSU doesn't have voltage switch but was not compatible with your power grid (eg: a 130V PSU on a 230V power grid). This is usually indicated by either some writing on the PSU which clearly states the needed AC power, or is indicated by a small engraving:
[Image: quingu_14.jpg]

This post was edited on 10-07-2005 at 01:27 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-07-2005 12:38 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: