What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Readable Misspeller StuffPlug NG Talker

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Readable Misspeller StuffPlug NG Talker
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Readable Misspeller StuffPlug NG Talker
instead of using a workaround and don't allow 3 character words to be scrambled, fix your scrambler routine instead ;)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-08-2005 10:38 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Improfane

Woooohoo Bunny!

O.P. RE: RE: Readable Misspeller StuffPlug NG Talker
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
instead of using a workaround and don't allow 3 character words to be scrambled, fix your scrambler routine instead ;)

Who are you referring to, the person who added something (J-Thread) or me?

It wouldn't be a workaround, if I were to correct my scrambler - it wouldn't fulfull the purpose of it. If you program, you should know that keeping your code modular is important, for that reason I made the scrambler routines separate from the talker.

So what he did to correct my code is fine because, he didn't modify the scrambler.

If I modifed the scrambler, it means it couldn't be used in another project that might not matter about the input length of 3.

I have a philosophy of generic and specific. Generic functions such as scramble, scramble and do only that, while everything else builds upon that to make specification. You build on the foundations.

Workarounds are quick and dirty to solve problems with the original code, this isn't it is just a matter of what should be input and not.

Thankyou, J-Thread.

quote:
stuffplug comes with this talker...or at least mine did

Really? Oh, I apologise if this has already been done. Do you know what the talker is called?
quote:
It is having some problems with 3 letter words, I'll figure it out, eventually.
quote:
The answer is really obvisious.... But well, i'll help you, here it is.
When I was referring to a 3 letter problem, it wasn't that nothing would change because only one letter can move - nowhere, obviously.

It was that sometimes when I used "the" as an input it would make "teh". Either it was something irrelevant to this plugin (like on my pc, a plugin) or a bug. "The" should stay as "The" when used with this.

quote:
teh  adn yuo

I read those perfectly before
These words should stay the same to help the reader understand the gist of the sentence.

I'll experiment later with instead of just the first and last letter the same, but sometimes - with long words, the middle letters, the quarter letter and so forth.

This post was edited on 10-09-2005 at 12:11 AM by Improfane.
10-09-2005 12:00 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
if(cur_word_length > 3) {
//Scramble the word
}
//Dont scramble the word

(Dont know if that would be how to properly write an if-then statement but)
10-09-2005 01:45 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
TheBlasphemer

36 / – / –
quote:
Originally posted by .Norma
if(cur_word_length > 3) {
//Scramble the word
}
//Dont scramble the word

(Dont know if that would be how to properly write an if-then statement but)

That's not necesarry ;)
If the word has less than 4 letters, scrambling the middle one won't do anything anyway :)
[Image: theblasp.png]
10-09-2005 10:58 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Readable Misspeller StuffPlug NG Talker
quote:
Originally posted by Improfane
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Who are you referring to, the person who added something (J-Thread) or me?

It wouldn't be a workaround, if I were to correct my scrambler - it wouldn't fulfull the purpose of it. If you program, you should know that keeping your code modular is important, for that reason I made the scrambler routines separate from the talker.

So what he did to correct my code is fine because, he didn't modify the scrambler.

If I modifed the scrambler, it means it couldn't be used in another project that might not matter about the input length of 3.

I have a philosophy of generic and specific. Generic functions such as scramble, scramble and do only that, while everything else builds upon that to make specification. You build on the foundations.

Workarounds are quick and dirty to solve problems with the original code, this isn't it is just a matter of what should be input and not.

That is exactly what I'm talking about and why I call it a workaround...

Simply make your scrambler so it doesn't bug out on words less than 4 characters. The scrambler routine should be able to process any word _on its own_, no matter what length, _that_ is modular and generic, not how it currently is..

Using the current scrambler routine in other projects requires you to constantly do a check before parsing the word to the scrambler, in other words that isn't modular at all as you need more special code (the length check) inside the main procedure to let the scrambler routine work decently...

If I would use a generic modular code, I'd expect it to work with any input, and without the need of some extra checks before I call the routine...

At least move the length check inside the scrambler routine, not inside your main routine. But if you make your scrambler routine more streamlined it wouldn't even need a length check at all...

If you wanna make other scramblers, you'll see that the length check is part of the scrambling process, and not part of the main routine, because other scramblers could for example encrypt 2 letter words or what not...

Thus replacing the current scrambler routine with such a new one will also require you to modify the main code. Thus, not exactly what I call a "modular" or a "generic" function...

;)

This post was edited on 10-09-2005 at 02:26 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-09-2005 12:44 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: