What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Question about copyright

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Question about copyright
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Question about copyright
quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
I know you need licenses and everything if you make anyone pay for it, but it's for non-commercial use...

* Ezra hopes Cookie reads this :)
Even for non-commerical use it would be illegal.

It is a very big myth that you can do/use whatever you like as long as you don't ask money for it. That's totally untrue... however you often see this argument in discussion about copyright. Also, yes, there are differences between countries and their laws, but most of the discussions (and also this one) are actuall so basic and are about international copyright stuff. People often argument with "it only applies in that country; it doesn't apply here; etc. etc.", well in almost all discussion I've seen, that again is a very untrue 'urban myth'. Copyright is copyright, no matter what country you're using it in, and especially in regards to music/movies/etc. The thing that could matter is the country where the copyright was given, not the country where you're playing the protected music. It only matters in very extra specific cases, cases which you'll never encounter as a common user/listener of music, video, etc...

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
i might be way off, but if you just use the music and not the words then its ok. I'm not sure about that so correct me if im wrong
You're way off... lyrics vs. music or whatever doesn't matter... ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Negro_Joe
im not sure as long as your not making anyone pay to watch it.. i think its perfectly legal...though dont take my word for it...
quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
I'm not making anyone pay for it, just so I can safely make it and distribute it on my website :P
Making money out of it or not, it doesn't matter, it would be illegal...

However, distributing does matter. eg: you can watch a movie at home  with the family. But you may not broadcast/show the movie outside your home or for 3rd parties. And certainly not distribute it (selling it or for free, doesn't matter)...

----

quote:
Originally posted by hexel
You can use most clips (short part of the original) without license cost or royalties by displaying a proper notice where the clip was taken from.
Even using a small clip of some certain copyrighted music is illegal without you paying royalties.
It does _not_ matter in what country you're in.
It does _not_ matter if the music contains lyrics or not.
It does _not_ matter if you ask money for it or not.
It does _not_ matter if you add a thank you note or add some credits in the end credits.
If even often doesn't matter if you're going to distribute it or not!
It would simply be illegal!

quote:
Originally posted by hexel
So if you are going to publish the video to more than 1 or 2 people, it's illegal to use copyrighted music in it.
Even using it for your own, it would be illegal! Only if it is _explicitly_ granted that you may use small clips from the media, it would be legal (if you also obey the rules, like adding end credits etc).

--------

Music, video, pictures, etc... are _NOT_ public domain and/or royality free automatically (even if they are posted on the internet!). It needs an explicit and specific note from the author to make them public domain and/or royality free to use, even for your own!...

This post was edited on 10-09-2005 at 06:00 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-09-2005 05:54 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Question about copyright
Allright, thanks :-)

I knew you could explain all the details right :)
[Image: 1-0.png]

10-09-2005 06:04 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: