What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Encrypted Chat Logs

Encrypted Chat Logs
Author: Message:
Stan

– / Male / –
O.P. Encrypted Chat Logs
Is there any way to easily mass decrypt all/a selection of my Plus! chat logs?
10-08-2005 05:26 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
RE: Encrypted Chat Logs
I think you can decrypt them all through the plus configuration menu. I can't check right now cause I'm on a different computer.... but I'm almost postive that you can encrypt/decrypt all of your logs at once through the Msg Plus Menu.
10-08-2005 05:38 PM
hexel

May 'the Google' be with you!

35 / Female / –
I think unticking the option 'Encrypt all my logs to protect my privacy' from Plus! -> Preferences -> Privacy Protection should decrypt them..
10-08-2005 06:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Stan

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Encrypted Chat Logs
Yeah, I was hoping there'd be another way as I have over 1000 log files :/
10-08-2005 06:31 PM
huwnet

– / Male / –
It should be a feature. It would also be nice to mass decrypt then rencrypt with a different password
10-08-2005 09:56 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Encrypted Chat Logs
quote:
Originally posted by Stan
Is there any way to easily mass decrypt all/a selection of my Plus! chat logs?

Disable the encryption option in Plus! > Preferences > Privacy Protection > Passwords > Encrypt all my logs to protect my privacy.

After you press "Apply" or "OK", Plus! will ask for the old password used on your logs.

All the logs located in the main log directory will be decrypted using that old password you entered (Thus not the logs inside the archived subdirectories!).

A small problem with this is that it stops decrypting logs if it encounters a log which was encrypted with a different password. But Plus! will ask to continue decrypting the other files if that happens, so answer "yes" to that question.

Of course, the ones encrypted with a different password will not be decrypted. For this you need to repeat the process, but of course enter the correct password for those files.

To repeat the process you need to
1) enable the encryption again, enter and confirm the new password
2) press "ok" or "apply" and Plus! will ask if it needs to re-encrypt everything, answer "no"...
3) disable the encryption again, press "ok" or "apply" and enter the old password used on those few other files which weren't decrypted in the first batch run...

As said, this decrypts everything in the main log directory, thus to only decrypt a selection move the logs you don't want to be decrypted temporary to a different directory than your main log directory.

quote:
Originally posted by huwnet
It would also be nice to mass decrypt then rencrypt with a different password
Set another password, confirm the new password and press "OK" or "Apply"... and it will re-encrypt all your previous logs after you stated the old password (in the main log directory; thus not the ones in the archive subdirectories).

This post was edited on 10-08-2005 at 11:38 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-08-2005 10:05 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: