What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » VB6 Questions

VB6 Questions
Author: Message:
Salem

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. VB6 Questions
Hi, Its me again

I thought i'd post me to question regarding Visual Basic 6 here, as i have previously received very usefull help regarding my previous VB6 problems/questions.

[list=1]
[*]Can i get a VB6 app to read an XML file? If so what code and/or modules would i need?
[*]I would like to give my VB6 Application the ability to use parameters. So that i can use different parameters to get it to perform specific actions when opening. eg. "appname.exe" /min could open it minimised. How would i go about doing this?
[/list]

Thanks in advance
RileyM
[Image: salem874.smart.jpg][Image: card.png]
Was i Helpful?[/url]
10-08-2005 04:16 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
RE: VB6 Questions
1   You can reference the Microsoft XML Object or something and do stuff that way, I havent used it much myself, try Googling for VB and XML parsing.

2.  Command line arguments can be access from within VB from the Command$ variable.

eg
code:
Private Sub Form_Load()
    If Len(Command) <> 0 Then MsgBox Command
End Sub

SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
10-08-2005 04:56 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Salem

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: VB6 Questions
quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
1   You can reference the Microsoft XML Object or something and do stuff that way, I havent used it much myself, try Googling for VB and XML parsing.

2.  Command line arguments can be access from within VB from the Command$ variable.

eg
code:
Private Sub Form_Load()
End Sub

Thanks for you help.

I have looked into the MS XML Object, and have downloaded the MSXML Parser & SDK. And have started looking at it

Sorry, i do not understand what you mean with regard to the command line arguments. Please can you explain?

Cheers
RileyM
Was i Helpful?[/url]
10-08-2005 09:54 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: VB6 Questions
quote:
Originally posted by RileyM
quote:
eg
code:
Private Sub Form_Load()
End Sub

Sorry, i do not understand what you mean with regard to the command line arguments. Please can you explain?
Just try the example that Dempsey has shown and things will become clear. Or press F1 and search your VB helpfiles for the Command$ function. Or look it up in the MSDN library.

The function Command$ returns whatever you have typed as parameters at the command line. (Remember that when you try to use Command$ in the IDE of VB that you need to set the wanted parameters in Project > Properties > Make > Command Line Arguments).

This post was edited on 10-08-2005 at 10:00 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-08-2005 09:58 PM
Salem

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: RE: RE: VB6 Questions
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
quote:
eg
code:
Private Sub Form_Load()
End Sub

Just try the example that Dempsey has shown and things will become clear. Or press F1 and search your VB helpfiles for the Command$ function. Or look it up in the MSDN library.

The function Command$ returns whatever you have typed as parameters at the command line. (Remember that when you try to use Command$ in the IDE of VB that you need to set the wanted parameters in Project > Properties > Make > Command Line Arguments).

So if i try and use commands in the VB app still running in VB, i need to set the parameters in the project properties. Are parameters seperated by ";"? And if running the app as a stand-alone (not throught VB, will i still need to put the commands on the project properties.

Finaly just to make sure...So basically i would just need to copy the example code Dempsey gave (obviously modifying it for my needs).
Was i Helpful?[/url]
10-08-2005 10:06 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: VB6 Questions
quote:
So if i try and use commands in the VB app still running in VB, i need to set the parameters in the project properties.
Yes

quote:
Are parameters seperated by ";"?
No. There aren't multiple parameters; It is one string and thus completely up to you what you wanna do with it. The parameter function Command$ simply returns everything which is typed on the command prompt in one complete string. You need to do your own parsing and/or splitting if you are planning to use more parameters.

When you set blahblah as parameter, Command$ will return the string "blahblah"
When you set /one /two as parameter, Command$ will return the string "/one /two"
When you set /one;two    /nine as parameter, Command$ will return the string "/one;two    /nine"
etc...

quote:
And if running the app as a stand-alone (not throught VB, will i still need to put the commands on the project properties.
No. You couldn't anyway since the VB IDE isn't used in that case...

Entering the parameters in you project properties is simply a way to simulate what you otherwise would type on the command prompt when you've compiled your program. It isn't saved inside your compiled program, the option is simply there to simulate the command line.

quote:
Finaly just to make sure...So basically i would just need to copy the example code Dempsey gave (obviously modifying it for my needs).
To know how it works, yes. Simply make a new project and add that line to the forms load event, set some text in the parameter textbox of that project and run it...

[Image: attachment.php?pid=548317]

----

Note all this can be found in your VB help files

.gif File Attachment: Image3.gif (26.74 KB)
This file has been downloaded 262 time(s).

This post was edited on 10-08-2005 at 11:09 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-08-2005 10:55 PM
Salem

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: VB6 Questions
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
So if i try and use commands in the VB app still running in VB, i need to set the parameters in the project properties.
Yes

quote:
Are parameters seperated by ";"?
No. There aren't multiple parameters; It is one string and thus completely up to you what you wanna do with it. The parameter function Command$ simply returns everything which is typed on the command prompt in one complete string. You need to do your own parsing and/or splitting if you are planning to use more parameters.

When you set blahblah as parameter, Command$ will return the string "blahblah"
When you set /one /two as parameter, Command$ will return the string "/one /two"
When you set /one;two    /nine as parameter, Command$ will return the string "/one;two    /nine"
etc...

quote:
And if running the app as a stand-alone (not throught VB, will i still need to put the commands on the project properties.
No. You couldn't anyway since the VB IDE isn't used in that case...

Entering the parameters in you project properties is simply a way to simulate what you otherwise would type on the command prompt when you've compiled your program. It isn't saved inside your compiled program, the option is simply there to simulate the command line.

quote:
To know how it works, yes. Simply make a new project and add that line to the forms load event, set some text in the parameter textbox of that project and run it...

[Image: attachment.php?pid=548317]

----

Note all this can be found in your VB help files

Thanks for all the help. its much appreciated.
RileyM
Was i Helpful?[/url]
10-09-2005 09:55 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: