What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » MSN Messenger autoupdate

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
MSN Messenger autoupdate
Author: Message:
esnupe

73 / Male / –
O.P. MSN Messenger autoupdate
Is there a way, apart from logging into MSN page, to know if there is a new version available, i.e. "check for update"? I really think this feature would be very helpful.
Mario Pozzetti
Lisbon - Portugal
10-11-2005 10:10 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Yousef

(previously known as Juzzi)

35 / Male / Flag
RE: MSN Messenger autoupdate
Nice idea for a plugin, I'll consider making one (Y)
Developer of BuddyFuse: Google Talk, Twitter and Hyves in Windows Live Messenger
Ex-Microsoft intern and Windows Live Developer MVP in 2007 & 2008
10-11-2005 10:45 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Luigi

It's-a me! Luigi!

– / Male / Flag
I think it will be a problem because MSN is not ready at the same time for every language, is it?
Or you are going to make an English Only Plugin?
[Image: caffe.gif]
[Image: italia.jpg] StuffPlug-NG & A-Patch Official Italian Translator, Messenger Plus! Live Beta Tester.
www.barbagianni.net - http://www.messengeritalia.it
10-11-2005 10:48 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by esnupe
Is there a way, apart from logging into MSN page, to know if there is a new version available, i.e. "check for update"? I really think this feature would be very helpful.
As far as I know, there isn't...

Even the http://messenger.msn.com/ site doesn't always report the complete build number, or doesn't have the latest one (very rarely though and this is often fixed within days).

What you also can try is to look for the latest version on http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/.

And as Luigi has stated correctly, MSN Messenger is made in many localized versions. All these versions aren't released at the same time (though the English one should always be the first one to be released)...

Then there is also the issue for what OS you want the latest version. eg: For Windows 95, the latest version is still 5.0.0575. For NT4 this is still 5.0.0544.

And there is the issue of latest versions of MSN Messenger "style branches", so to speak. The latest version for the more plain 6 versions is 6.2.0208; Individual MSN Messenger style branches can still be updated, even if there is a branch with a higher major version number.

This post was edited on 10-11-2005 at 11:10 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-11-2005 11:00 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
esnupe

73 / Male / –
O.P. RE: MSN Messenger autoupdate
Yes, well Windows OS also comes in different laguanges, different systems etc. but you can always check for updates. It may be a snag but it certainly doesn't make it impossible for the system to check if there is a new version for your particular configuration. But then again I'm no system programmer so what do I know? Still I think it would be a major asset.
Mario Pozzetti
Lisbon - Portugal
10-11-2005 11:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Autoupdate: asfar as i know if it's a critical update (security updates - the version you have will stop working after a while), you will get prompted to download the newer version.
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Even the http://messenger.msn.com/ site doesn't always report the complete build number..
I wish they did, just like msgplus.net does..as this would make things alot clearer. Plain 7.0 or 7.5 is just :mipdodgy:
quote:
What you also can try is to look for the latest version on http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/.
This does not have the latest version (notice latest 7.0 is 7.0.0777 onthere..whilst the newest is 7.0.0816), latest working version is always on the site you normally download MSNM from (you only need to change the OS after clicking download if you have WinXP and do not want 7.5 - choose Win2000 for a 7.0 version that works on WinXP).

This post was edited on 10-11-2005 at 11:16 AM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
10-11-2005 11:14 AM
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
RE: RE: MSN Messenger autoupdate
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
This does not have the latest version (notice latest 7.0 is 7.0.0777 onthere..whilst the newest is 7.0.0816), latest working version is always on the site you normally download MSNM from (you only need to change the OS after clicking download if you have WinXP and do not want 7.5).
They have multiple 7.0 links. They don't give the full build number so it is harder to find. Here it is anyway: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?f...EB8&displaylang=en
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
10-11-2005 11:16 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Autoupdate: asfar as i know if it's a critical update (security updates - the version you have will stop working after a while), you will get prompted to download the newer version.
True. It even will report when there is a new non-critical version for the branch style currently installed if you have that option selected. But this doesn't solve the issue of knowing the other latest versions.

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
quote:
This does not have the latest version (notice latest 7.0 is 7.0.0777 onthere..whilst the newest is 7.0.0816)
They have multiple 7.0 links. They don't give the full build number so it is harder to find. Here it is anyway: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?f...-B261-687E0082FEB8&displaylang=en(*)
The download center is also updated later than the main site (useually). It always takes a couple of days. But after that, the latest version can always be found on the download center (and even in more installer versions than available on the main site; the main site often only has a specific OS installer, while the download center always also has the complete installer versions)...

----

(*) Remove those language parameters when you point to a downloadcenter link. You never know what language the user is using/speaking/has selected in their cookies.

This post was edited on 10-11-2005 at 11:28 AM by CookieRevised.
10-11-2005 11:22 AM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by linx05
They have multiple 7.0 links. They don't give the full build number so it is harder to find. Here it is anyway: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?f...-B261-687E0082FEB8
Mhmm, you have to specificly search on MSN Messenger 7.0 to find those different versions. If you start out on the above mentioned link and you click "see additional popular downloads" it will lead you to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Popular.aspx where at the bottom you will see a link to MSNM 7.0 (nr. 48). If you click that it will lead you to 7.0.0777 :mipdodgy:

Edit: i took em out Cookie...

quote:
quote:
True. It even will report when there is a new non-critical version for the branch style currently installed if you have that option selected.
Huh, what option where?

This post was edited on 10-11-2005 at 11:39 AM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
10-11-2005 11:27 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: MSN Messenger autoupdate
Popular links are exactly that ;) Links with the highest download rate because they are popular. They aren't the "latest" links nessecairly.

quote:
quote:
quote:
True. It even will report when there is a new non-critical version for the branch style currently installed if you have that option selected.
Huh, what option where?
dunno anymore :p But I could swear there was some setting for it (in registry).

This post was edited on 10-11-2005 at 10:09 PM by CookieRevised.
10-11-2005 11:37 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: