What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » New PC Components Help

New PC Components Help
Author: Message:
Replicarter

O.P. New PC Components Help
Well iv looked around for a new pc, and came up with this one, but after posting it on a few forums some say they wouldent feel riped off at the price, others say its very bad value for money:

http://www.computerelectronics.co.uk/acatalog/HerculesST3.html

Soooo, im going to buy all the components myself, and get someone elce to build it as id probably nacker all the parts doing it myself.

Iv got a maximum budget of £2000 ($3500) But would rather keep it below £1500 so i have extra to upgrade later, for extras or XP Pro.

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Im not gonna get the 4800+ as i cant justify spending £200 more for an extra 200mhz when I can just have it overclocked = to the 4800+ (i think so anyway :P)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.htm...&product_uid=91327

Monitors - 3x Samsung 19" TFTs
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.htm...&product_uid=83914

These were the most popular on ebuyer, so picked these, though if there are some better cheaper ones you can recomend?

And well this is where i need help :/

Although I wont be playing games on this pc, i do want a fairly decent Graphics Card, which will work well with 3 monitors, and be able to connect to a TV via S-Video for when I watch videos on my tv.

For HD space, i want atleast 500gbs, maybe 2x 300gb and have one of those RAID things. (I have no idea what RAID is but lots of people talk about it so i guessing its good?)

For everything elce, Motherboard, 2GB Memory etc, i just want the most compatible with the processor, and a motherboard which will be stable with the processor overclocked.

Im not to botherd about the look of the case, i want one with the best cooling and space to hold all this together, so not looking for one with 100 LEDs on.

And well, also anything iv missed that that system has that i could do with having, Hope you guys can help :)

Repli
10-11-2005 09:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: New PC Components Help
well one good range of graphics card by ATi is the X series.
the x700 is really good. its got DDR3 256MB ram ant its about £100
Radeon X700 Pro

also Seagate do good hard drives. heres a 300gb one for £100

Seagate Barracude 300Gb

This post was edited on 10-11-2005 at 09:24 PM by Reaper.
10-11-2005 09:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: New PC Components Help
If you have the money to spend on graphics, look at the NVidia GeForce 7800 series.

RAID = Redundant Array of Independent Disks.
Usually used in big corporate servers, it uses techniques such as mirroring and striping to spread data over several disks. If one of the disks stops working, the data can still be recovered from all the others.
For home use, there's not much point TBH. It's expensive, and only really useful in large arrays.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
10-12-2005 01:03 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: