What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Personal Message not saving.

Personal Message not saving.
Author: Message:
SikStyles

DeathCult

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. Personal Message not saving.
Ok im having this problem with Personal Message.  Whenever I type a new message and log out and then next time i log in again the Personal Message is showing the old message I had and not the new one.  I also logged out, exited and then signing back on but it still shows the old message

Im using:

Windows Version: Windows XP, 5.01.2600
Messenger Client Version: 7.5.0306
Messenger Plus! Version: 3.61.0145

In Tools > Options > Security the "This is a shared computer so dont store my ..." is unchecked and so is the "This is a shared computer so dont display my tabs" is unchecked

If I enter the personal message in i press Enter.  How can i fix this problem

You're still breathing? Why?
Get off the cross, the wood is needed.
[Image: userbar.jpg]

10-19-2005 11:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Personal Message not saving.
quote:
Originally posted by SikStyles
Ok im having this problem with Personal Message.  Whenever I type a new message and log out and then next time i log in again the Personal Message is showing the old message I had and not the new one.  I also logged out, exited and then signing back on but it still shows the old message

Im using:

Windows Version: Windows XP, 5.01.2600
Messenger Client Version: 7.5.0306
Messenger Plus! Version: 3.61.0145

In Tools > Options > Security the "This is a shared computer so dont store my ..." is unchecked and so is the "This is a shared computer so dont display my tabs" is unchecked

If I enter the personal message in i press Enter.  How can i fix this problem

Have you tried to isolate whether Plus! is causing the problem or not? End both msnmsgr.exe and MsgPlus.exe processes (Note you want to make sure the "Attach Mode" of Plus! is set to default.) and restart MSN Messenger. Try changing the personal message and exiting MSN Messenger to see if it saves the settings.
10-19-2005 11:17 PM
SikStyles

DeathCult

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Personal Message not saving.
quote:
Originally posted by Matty
Note you want to make sure the "Attach Mode" of Plus! is set to default.

what do you mean by that? where is this attach mode?

EDIT: after ending the process of msgplus.exe and restarting msn without plus the text stayed.

EDIT #2: then i ran msgplus.exe again and logged out, exited, and logged in again the text stayed, i guess this kind of solves my problem but i dont want to do this everytime i change the personal message though.

This post was edited on 10-20-2005 at 12:48 AM by SikStyles.

10-20-2005 12:36 AM
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
The attach mode is located in:

Plus! > Preferences > Miscellaneous
10-20-2005 01:15 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
There've been a couple threads about this, I could only find one:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=47...d=500375#pid500375

Anyways... I'm not sure of how much help this might be to you... There was another thread I can't find, and I think there was a lot more detail about the problem, and a bunch more solutions.
10-20-2005 01:18 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
SikStyles

DeathCult

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by qgroessl
There've been a couple threads about this, I could only find one:

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=47...d=500375#pid500375

Anyways... I'm not sure of how much help this might be to you... There was another thread I can't find, and I think there was a lot more detail about the problem, and a bunch more solutions.

yea i searched before i made the thread and they didnt help so i made another :D

and it is in default mode, but what does it really mean? what if its on Default mode - forced or alternate mode?

10-20-2005 01:51 AM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by SikStyles
and it is in default mode, but what does it really mean? what if its on Default mode - forced or alternate mode?
Default mode - MsgPlus! gets started when starting up Windows

Default mode forced -  Incase default doesn't work for some reason you can choose this to force MsgPlus! to start up on starting up Windows.

Alternate mode - MsgPlus! gets started when you start MSN Messenger. MsgPlus! will not be deleted from the start up list automaticly but will switch if need be. If MsgPlus! interferes with another program or other programs with MsgPlus! this is the desired hooking method, remove it from startup list in this case (how? more info how to set alternate mode properly? click link ;) )

From changelog:
The Misc section of the preferences now offers 3 methods to control the way Messenger Plus! hooks Messenger: Default Mode, Default Mode - Forced, and Alternate Mode (only available in Windows 2000/XP).

Default Mode is the way Messenger Plus! has always used so far. Keep it that way if you never experienced problems related to the Plus! menu disappearing for no apparent reason. Default Mode - Forced is equivalent to the previous "Enable Force Mode" option and is just a trick applied over the same Default Mode to try to compensate for poorly designed softwares when the system startups.

Alternate Mode is the new mode of interest. This mode sets a special registry key in Windows (called AppInit_DLLs) to ask Windows to load the MsgPlusLoader.dll directly when a new process is created. The end result is the same as with the Default Mode, however, this technique normally prevents other softwares from breaking the hook chain.

Alternate Mode is in theory better than Default Mode because once it's activated, MsgPlus.exe does not need to be running for Plus! to attach to Messenger. Note that MsgPlus.exe is still not automatically removed from your computer startup when Alternate Mode is selected, that's because MsgPlus.exe is responsible for doing some basic installation diagnostic and displaying the Recovery Window. However, if you remove the MessengerPlus3 value from the Run key, everything will continue to work properly (see below).

More and more software now monitor registry changes to "protect" users from unwanted programs. Depending on how those software are configured, changed in the Run key may be prevented automatically or by default, creating the now well known "I have to reinstall Messenger Plus! every time I restart my computer" problem. Messenger Plus! now checks for the existence of its value in the Run key and if it can't find it, Alternate Mode is automatically selected to repair the problem.

Note that the registry key used to activate Alternate Mode could also be monitored by a software installed on your computer. Trying to enable Alternate Mode and preventing the registry change to occur will simply result in Messenger Plus! not working anymore. As any other program, Messenger Plus! adds/changes registry settings to function properly. Badly designed registry monitor programs cause much more problem than they prevent, for any program.

Edit: you're welcome :D

This post was edited on 10-20-2005 at 07:38 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
10-20-2005 11:32 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
SikStyles

DeathCult

34 / Male / Flag
Dank Sunshine :)

all seems to be under control now

thanks to all of you guys! :D