What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Chat Encryption

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
Chat Encryption
Author: Message:
wj
Former Admin

I aim to misbehave.

39 / – / Flag
RE: Chat Encryption
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The only good reason you want the chats to be encrypted is if you are on a local network. But even then, people can't simply tap on lines just like that. There is always some security. Eg: cybercafe's use such local networks, but be assure that the guy on the computer next to you isn't able to tap on your line though. Even then, there are far more easier ways he he wants to spy on you. Ways which any encryption program can't do nothing about it...

Actually, You just have to be on the same network, You just set your system into promiscious mode and it will start to recieve all of the packets it can handle coming off the network with few exceptions (mostly if you have a really well setup network which most people/organizations dont). Arstechnica published a guide on howto sniff AOL messages eairler this week, Nothing fancy needed, no special hardware, Just a system, libpcap, and ruby on rails.
"A towel is about the most massively useful
thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have."
10-14-2005 03:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
dreaded

Actually there was something about this posted on another forum over a year ago linx05 http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/t21824-log-your...ts-go-to-jail.html
Do not know all the details so you will have to read it and see for yourself.
10-14-2005 03:32 PM
linx05

Charlie!!!

38 / Other / Flag
RE: RE: Chat Encryption
quote:
Originally posted by dreaded
They do log ip addresses, times in and out. Every site etc.. has some sort of logging. Even this forum logs ip addresses. Even your isp does it. How do you think riaa, mpaa etc.. bust you. And with the patriot act they dont have to give reasons for anything. They get your ip and call your isp and ask what times was ip xxxx was on and who did the ip belong. Like I said comcast got sued for tacking their customers. I am sure after awhile they trash the data. I never said if they did or didnt log your conversations. CookieRevised was so eager to prove me wrong that CookieRevised didnt read what I said and what them sites said. Usually when someone is so fast to prove someone wrong either they dont know or they hiding something. You could email them or use that link that was given here http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=97906 and call them. http://privacy1.msn.com/fullnotice.armx is the link. When it come to terrorism and something criminal you can beat they can and  probably would record everything you say on messenger and even in chatrooms. And I dont like the idea of msn or anyone else besides me and the people I talk knowing what I said to someone else. Only thing you can do is change messenger that has encryption built in like aim, or get program like I mentioned. And for your email use pgp or gpg.

Those links don't say anything. The msdn link is talking about what you're talking about in this thread without any backing up with sources. The other one says nothing about logging chats.

And this one http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/t21824-log-your...ts-go-to-jail.html, well I'm not in New Hampshire am I?
For news on anything Tremors, visit Tremors News
End Darko
My blog about my film

Scripts I want to get made:
Taskbar icon to change when contact is typing
10-14-2005 03:53 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
dreaded

You email or call them and ask them since you think its not true. I dont know where you live. As far as I know you could live in in another country besides the usa. And if you do live in the usa from what I have read of that article it depends on your state. It might be a crime to do that in your state. They just said one state. Different states have different laws.
10-14-2005 04:06 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

quote:
CookieRevised was so eager to prove me wrong that CookieRevised didnt read what I said and what them sites said. Usually when someone is so fast to prove someone wrong either they dont know or they hiding something.
Dreaded, I did read your posts and I did read this thread and the links. And I'm certainly not "eager to proove you wrong". And I certainly have nothing to hide. In fact, I'm not the one who is worried that his convo to his friends or what not is logged. Why on earth should I be afraid? In fact, for all I care, they can log whatever they want from me...

quote:
I never said if they did or didnt log your conversations.
And if you took the time to read my post, you should have seen that I didn't say that you said chats where logged. I replied to something you quoted...

quote:
When it come to terrorism and something criminal you can beat they can and  probably would record everything you say on messenger and even in chatrooms.
Again, if you took the time in actually reading and understanding what I said before, you would have seen that this is exactly what I also have said and exactly my point.... Only when they have a good reason to log something, they will. They will not do it out of the blue at all...

quote:
They do log ip addresses, times in and out. Every site etc.. has some sort of logging. Even this forum logs ip addresses. Even your isp does it. How do you think riaa, mpaa etc.. bust you. And with the patriot act they dont have to give reasons for anything. They get your ip and call your isp and ask what times was ip xxxx was on and who did the ip belong.
And what has that got to do with logging conversations? Nothing... The issue is logging convo's, not logging IP's... There's a massive difference between those two things.

And to be clear, no I'm not talking about logging IP's and the likes in all my replies, I'm talking about logging conversations, the actual subject of this thread...

Oh, and as linx05 has said, those links don't proove anything at all except yet some more hear-say. And even if what a0011010011 said is true, and not some false "evidence" to get some attention and be interesting, that still is not proof at all that they log CONVERSATIONS. a0011010011 said NOTHING about logging CONVERSATIONS.

quote:
Actually there was something about this posted on another forum over a year ago linx05 http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/t21824-log-your...ts-go-to-jail.html
Do not know all the details so you will have to read it and see for yourself.
1) Did you actually read that thread? This has got nothing to do with what linx05 has said.
2) The important stuff (and the only thing which is true)  is what Jeff, an admin on BBB, has said in that thread as a response to again all that out of context and twisted around hear-say about logging being illegal...

And that is an excellent example about what I'm ranting about in this thread and in my replies: hear-say... "X said Y, so it must be true"... "I read about blahblah"... etc...

If you state something which is true, a fact, the next guy who reads it changes that sentence slightly and claims it is true. Then the next guy again leaves some words out. The next guy interprets this and say it in his own words. Etc... Next thing you know you have transformed the fact into a short catch-phrase like urban myth. And that is what is happening here (and with stuff like "msn logs chats") again and again. Instead of the true facts that Jef stated ("What this really means is that those logs may not be admissible as evidence, should you ever go to trial over something else."), people simply read "logging is illegal".

---------

Anyways,

YOUR CHATS ARE NOT LOGGED PEOPLE!!!

Stop all being so paranoid. You should be more worried about those damn "block checker" crap sites and similar stuff where you need to enter your Passport and PWD, or about trojan horses then to be worried about the feds logging your conversations...

Instead of believing everything you hear on forums and sites which are only either designed to make you more paranoid, or consist of people who have no proof what-so-ever but also only say what they got from hear-say, use your brains and think for two minutes or at least learn how criminal investigation works...

Just because you read somewhere "FBI has said that terrorist group x communicated thru IM" does not mean, I repeat: NOT MEAN, that they, MSN, ISP's or whatever log all conversations of everybody. That kind of logging out of the blue is PURE ILLEGAL and is NOT ALLOWED by those same feds in the first place.

It is only DURING/AFTER they have a STRONG suspicion or EVIDENCE of a CERTAIN INDIVIDUAL that they authorize/request logging of conversations. AND ONLY THOSE CONVERSATIONS, nothing more.

This works exactly the same as phone-tapping...

So please, stop being so damn paranoid and stop believing everything you read, don't interpret everything literaly (eg: catch phrases are catch phrases), choose decent sources for your information (eg: not a bunch of also paranoids on some obscure forums), etc...

---------

Anyways, if you want encryption, fine... but don't bring in "msn logs chats" and "feds know what I'm doing" as that is totally out of context, untrue and are simply urban hear-say myths...

This post was edited on 10-14-2005 at 07:43 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-14-2005 06:55 PM
dreaded

I am not paranoid. I was just saying they do log ips etc.. and that they would log conversations and you just admitted they would log coversations ty lol.
10-14-2005 08:27 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
I am not paranoid. I was just saying they do log ips etc.. and that they would log conversations and you just admitted they would log coversations ty lol.
WTF??? You don't read any posts do you? I never admitted anything, let alone that they log chats....

reread PROPERLY...

No wonder you state untrue things and take things out of context. That reply just proofs it...

This post was edited on 10-14-2005 at 09:16 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-14-2005 09:14 PM
dreaded

quote:
It is only DURING/AFTER they have a STRONG suspicion or EVIDENCE of a CERTAIN INDIVIDUAL that they authorize/request logging of conversations. AND ONLY THOSE CONVERSATIONS, nothing more.
Your words not mine. And lets face it. People want me to prove they do . Prove to me they dont. You do not work for microsoft so you cannot say for sure they dont. Now prove they dont lol.
10-14-2005 09:27 PM
s7a5
Veteran Member

O.P. RE: Chat Encryption
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
You said it yourself cookie! I wasn't trying to prove that they do it whenever they want just because they are interested in the contents of your conversation. All I was asking is if there is a plugin that can encrypt logs while they are sent to yours buddy and then dycrypt when it's delivered. Of course I do realize that both contacts must have the same plugin installed, and it is not an issue.
10-14-2005 09:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Now now dreaded and s7a5, easy up a lil will you?

For the greater public it is not necessary to encrypt messages sent as they are NOT logged. That is what Cookie is trying to explain to you...both of you claim that all chats are logged by MSN wich clearly isn't so....those who write encryption programs will say they do ofcourse, it's promotion/advertising for them! Cookie is only explaining all this to prevent people getting paranoid over things that are untrue and to take away any doubt/fear you might have concerning this.

Ofcourse you are free to encrypt the messages you send, that's not what's beeing discussed here. But is it worth the hassle?

ONLY if you are a criminal and a request has been made and aproved by the government to log your chats, only then they will be logged. Way more important is to secure your computer, trojans can intercept your logs and everything else you do on your computer.

This post was edited on 10-14-2005 at 10:22 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
10-14-2005 10:03 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: