What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » PSP Tv

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
PSP Tv
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: PSP Tv
quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Therfore it is wise to only download firmware upgrades from the official Sony website.

Thats what i was going to say, because not very many people wouldnt dowenload the firmware from the actual website> Meaning what cookie said!
It didn't mean that at all...

You're talking about the upgrade. I'm talking about the downgrade hack. Sony will NOT provide the downgrade hack as that is exactly what they are trying to fix with their new firmware...

The downgrade is only available on hacker sites...

This post was edited on 10-15-2005 at 02:07 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-15-2005 10:21 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I'm talking about the downgrade hack. Sony will NOT provide the downgrade hack as that is exactly what they are trying to fix with their new firmware...

Cookie, why did you bring up the downgrade hack issue? I mean the only reference to it before this is in the artical where it says that Sony is trying to prevent it.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
10-15-2005 10:33 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Cookie, why did you bring up the downgrade hack issue?
Because I was so kind to warn people who might try to hack these new firmwares talked about in the top post...

quote:
I mean the only reference to it before this is in the artical where it says that Sony is trying to prevent it.
Errrmm, isn't that more than enough reason? That whole article is about the firmware's...

And I know some people here have a PSP. I know some people reading this forums have PSP's. Many of those people also use/have used the loop holes in the previous firmwares to do things with Sony didn't intended to do. Many of those same people are experimenting with these firmware downloads, especially now that a new one is out...

This post was edited on 10-15-2005 at 04:24 PM by CookieRevised.
10-15-2005 02:02 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Errrmm, isn't that more than enough reason? That whole article is about the firmware's...
The actual artical isn't about hacking firmware in anyway, or the firmware it's about. It's just talking about the new features you can get from upgrading, not downgrading. Even though the topic is kind of similar, hacking a PSP and getting a firmware upgrade are two entirely seporate things. It's just confusing when the warning turns up in a thread on a dis-similar topic.
Don't get me wrong, if I was a PSP owner (who didn't know of this risk) I'd be very greatfull for your advice. However when it's so off-topic it may confuse some people, maybe another thread or something for the warning would be good, but not in a thread that's only remotely on a similar subject.
10-15-2005 04:29 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I'm sorry, Anubis, but that warning is certainly not off topic and has got everything to do with the article and isn't confussing at all...

May I suggest you reread especially the last part of that article? It goes how Sony makes updates in their firmware. This is, as I said earlier, in direct connection with the people trying to hack it to keep their custom stuff going. In order to do this they need to downgrade. Downgrading with the wrong hack can cause your PSP to turn into nothing more than a brick.

For all you know, the article could have easly mentionned all this also in one go. And FYI, many articles you'll find on the net about this new 2.5 version do exactly that, they also mention the trojan...

quote:
It's just talking about the new features you can get from upgrading, not downgrading. Even though the topic is kind of similar, hacking a PSP and getting a firmware upgrade are two entirely seporate things.
No, read the last part especilly which goes about WHY they've updated to a new version. If that paragraph isn't clear enough, I'd suggest to look at the many other atricles about it which go in even more detail about this and tell you exactly why my warning was very on-topic.

quote:
Hackers have been running emulators, pirated games and other software on version 1.50 PSPs. Sony updated to 2.00 to address this, but those clever hackers then discovered a way to revert 2.00 firmware to 1.50.
that sentence alone justifies perfectly the important warning I posted!

------

It is not remotely similar, it is dead on on-topic.

(unlike all these posts after it)

This post was edited on 10-15-2005 at 05:19 PM by CookieRevised.
10-15-2005 05:03 PM
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
As much as I normally disagree with Anubis I have to say that Cookie your warning was kind of off-topic. This topic was about the use of TV on a PSP through firmware.

I am tempted to buy a PSP even more after this but I can't afford it. :'(
AC3
10-15-2005 07:49 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: PSP Tv
quote:
Hackers have been running emulators, pirated games and other software on version 1.50 PSPs. Sony updated to 2.00 to address this, but those clever hackers then discovered a way to revert 2.00 firmware to 1.50.
that sentence alone justifies perfectly the important warning I posted!

The artical isn't about using dodgy hacks on your PSP, it just gives one of the reasons for the firmware updates as a sidenote. The only reason it states that sentence is to condone the actions of hackers and inform people. If the artical was about PSP firmware hacks, yeah, I could understand it, but it's not.

Your message about that will just confuse people into why you just brought up the risks of PSP hacks out the blue.
10-15-2005 07:53 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
The artical isn't about using dodgy hacks on your PSP, it just gives one of the reasons for the firmware updates as a sidenote. The only reason it states that sentence is to condone the actions of hackers and inform people.
A whole paragraph about this isn't a "sidenote" and even then can't be dismissed just like that.

And because the paragraph says what it says, the warning is very well justified as people might try out this new firmware and afterwards decide to downgrade again, with/without the purpose of running their custom stuff again...

quote:
If the artical was about PSP firmware hacks, yeah, I could understand it, but it's not.
The article is about firmwares. period. My warning is about firmwares. period.

quote:
Your message about that will just confuse people into why you just brought up the risks of PSP hacks out the blue.
It is not my fault that people might not understand what a firmware is and thus find it confussing. If they don't know what a firmware is then they also find the articly itself confussing... For all others who do know what a firmware is, the warning is very well informative...

If I read some article about a new firware update, I certainly want to know if there are any risks involved in "playing" with those firmwares.

Also, did you consider that someone could actually post the question of how to downgrade again? Would that be off topic? No it wouldn't, so isn't my "pre-reply" to it... it's called anticipating on topic questions.

-------

Besides... tbh, I'm not one of the people who posts off topic all the time/regulary or what not (even if this was off topic). I'm perfectly aware on what stuff is off topic or not...

This post was edited on 10-16-2005 at 04:23 AM by CookieRevised.
10-16-2005 04:21 AM
Mentality

The Best Representation OF me IS ME!

38 / Male / Flag
just use the network update on the console, thats your best bet (if you got wirless which i got 2days ago, WooT!!!) otherwise wait for it to come out on the playstation website.

www.ign.com is also a very good psp source.
http://psp.ign.com/articles/658/658253p1.html article about psptv

Sounds good i can't wait, and if thats true i jap works on all consoles if your willing to take the risk, I just might, but then i would have to wait for the hardware anyways, so not much point thinking about it.

thanks for the warning Cookie, and I think it totally belongs there.

I just done the network update, figures the us version is out as well (my console is US, so figures i'm downloading it.)

This post was edited on 10-16-2005 at 08:38 AM by Mentality.
10-16-2005 08:26 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
paperless
Veteran Member

Saved by the bell

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
if you got wirless which i got 2days ago, WooT!!!

Eheh i got it two weeks ago so now if you are going to buy BF2 we can play together on the net.

About that warning offtopic thingy, i dont either agree or disagree with cookie, i mean yeah the main purpose of the article wasnt to talk about the firmware but as cookie said it ocupies a whole paragraph which even has a title: "Covering loopholes", loopholes for Sony means stopping homebrew.
10-16-2005 09:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: