What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery
Author: Message:
Dan0208

36 / Male / –
O.P. Photo Gallery
Hi all i have a quick question that you will hopefully be able to help me with.

Currently I run a little fun website for me and my friends to display all the photos myself and friends take in the surf with our waterproof cameras of surfing and bodyboarding as well as many other photos such as from parties etc. This all started from when i got sick of sending individual photos over msn to people and thought i would make it easy for people to look at all my photos whenever they wanted.

The problem is that up until now i have be making the photo gallery myself by first making copies of every photo and resizing it down as a thumbnail. then linking each thumbnail to the large photo. and then following that linking each corresponding forward and back arrow for each page.

I have no problem with this its just it takes physically hours to complete a new photo upload and i have been found i have been falling back in the updates because i just dont have the time.

My question to you is do you know of any other method of doing this. I am sure there must be an easier way through some form of script, addon, program etc. I see plenty of other sites and blogs with photo galleries and am pretty sure that those people do not add and do everything individually. Also is it still possible to put a comment or name of the photo under each thumbnail.

Thanks for your time and sorry I made this post go so long it just thought a better explanation might save more questions later.

Thanks

This post was edited on 10-20-2005 at 11:40 AM by Dan0208.
[Image: wetpix%20sig.png]
10-20-2005 11:39 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
RE: Photo Gallery
gallaries:
http://www.4homepages.de/
http://coppermine-gallery.net
http://gallery.menalto.com/

enjoy :)
10-20-2005 11:47 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Dan0208

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Photo Gallery
wow thanks for the fast reply.
That http://gallery.menalto.com/ looks like a good one and what im after.
I look further into it and give it a go. not sure how i will go installing it myself but ill come back if i have any troubles

Once again thanks
10-20-2005 12:08 PM
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
if you have cpanel x on your host, you could automaticly install it with fantastico

[Image: attachment.php?pid=553446]

.jpg File Attachment: gallery.jpg (230.25 KB)
This file has been downloaded 147 time(s).
10-20-2005 12:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
I tried installing it on mine..
I get this error message..

You need to upgrade to at least EDGE 10.4.0-103 in order to
install.

How do I upgrade, and what really is that EDGE thing?
10-21-2005 01:44 AM
brian

– / Male / –
EDGE is a "internal" system, nothing with hosting, so you'll have to contact your hoster.
10-21-2005 01:59 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Dan0208

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Photo Gallery
Wow thanks. I started manually installing it until i saw your post about fantastico that helped alot.

I have set up the gallery fine except i have a few more questions. I am having problems. I cannot get any thumbnails to show up on albums or photos. I read up on it a bit  and think it has something to do with the graphics toolkit NetPBM. I have attempted to download these from instructions on the gallery website and have uploaded them via ftp along with the jhead binary which i think i also needed. and i have tried playing with the settings to get it to work and here is my results..

I have attached a screenshot and as you can see it has failed one of the tests but i dont know why. i think those settings are right?
Can anyone tell me if i am on the right track and if this has anything to do with why the thumbnails arent resized and created. I am really keen to get this up and running.

One last question. Is the actual gallery that is viewable to the public able to be customised. so I add a heading and background colour etc or maybe even an image logo. The only reason i ask is that i was trying to get it to match my site theme as best as possible

Thanks for your help

.jpg File Attachment: NetPBM settings.jpg (159.77 KB)
This file has been downloaded 66 time(s).
10-21-2005 04:01 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: