What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Settings Sync/Transferer/Backup

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
1 votes - 5 average   Settings Sync/Transferer/Backup
Author: Message:
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Settings Sync/Transferer/Backup
The FTP seems to be working, but maybe you can add a way to choose a folder on the ftp server (some people can't put stuff in the root)

And I set a password in the config, and when I wanted to back up my settings it asked for a password again twice.
[Image: 1-0.png]

10-25-2005 01:07 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
XgD

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: Settings Sync/Transferer/Backup
quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
The FTP seems to be working, but maybe you can add a way to choose a folder on the ftp server (some people can't put stuff in the root)

And I set a password in the config, and when I wanted to back up my settings it asked for a password again twice.

Updated to new version (0.21) with option for choosing folder on server. It prompts for another password if the password you supply isn't correct for the zip file on the server. Try making a new backup with your new password then restoring it. Passwords are case sensitive.

XgD
10-25-2005 05:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Ezra
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
Could you make it also save your MSN settings?

and maybe like cyberdude said, be abled to save your dp's and stuff

and maybe a checkbox what settings you would like to save.

This post was edited on 10-29-2005 at 11:36 PM by Ezra.

10-29-2005 11:32 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Something I like to see changed from the setup:
  1. Show the log screen, don't skip on it (aka: don't automatically jump to the final "finish" page). Some people might like to know which files are installed where (like me), especially if you install 3rd party libraries in the user's system directory!

Some tips/pointers/requests:
  1. Don't use external DLL's if you can avoid them. UNZDLL.DLL and ZIPDLL.DLL (a total of 240kb!) can be avoided if you include your own zip code in your delphi project. On the net you can find sources for this. Or you can even provide you own compression scheme.
  2. Make the log window of your plugin not word-wrapped; it's hard to read.
  3. Make the log window at least resizeable.
  4. Fix spelling mistakes and be consequent in the way a line is shown:
    quote:
    Exporting Settings...
    Compressing File to C:\me@blah.com.zip...
    duplicate filename removed Orig name: C:\me@blah.com.reg ,New name : me@blah.com.reg
    duplicate filename removed Orig name: C:\me@blah.com.reg ,New name : me@blah.com.reg
      adding: me@blah.com.reg
    Preparing FTP...
    Resolving hostname .
    Connecting to 192.168.1.103.
    Disconnecting from 192.168.1.103.
    Not connected.
    Error. Upload unsucessful
    make that something like (notice the added or removed spaces, moved comma's, added lines and other stuff):
    quote:
    Exporting Settings...

Compressing file to "C:\me@blah.com.zip"...
    Duplicate filename removed (Orig name: "C:\me@blah.com.reg", New name: "me@blah.com.reg")
    Duplicate filename removed (Orig name: "C:\me@blah.com.reg", New name: "me@blah.com.reg")
      Adding: "me@blah.com.reg"
      Tracing: "C:\temp0082.zip"
      Updating: "me@blah.com.reg"

Preparing FTP...
      Resolving hostname
      Connecting to 192.168.1.103
      Disconnecting from 192.168.1.103
      Not connected

Error: Upload unsuccessfull
    And a few remarks/questions about this logging:
    • What does the "Duplicate filename removed" exactly mean?
    • Why three times that same message?
    • Why is the new name the same as the old name?
    • Where are there spaced before "Adding me@blah.com.reg" and not before other sub-messages?
    • Why comes the message "Compressing file" before the "Duplicate" and "Adding" messages? This doesn't make sense, unless "Compressing file" actually means "Creating file" and the "Adding" actually means "Compressing".
    • What is the "trace: Temp Filename" used for?

5. Temporary files are not removed! (the reg and zip files)
  6. Do not store the reg files as version 5.00 files, but as version 4 files! This because your tool with otherwise not work on other OS's than XP/NT...
    Version 5.0 registry files start with the header: "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00", and are not downwards compatible!
    Version 4.0 registry files have the header: "REGEDIT4", and are upwards compatible!
  7. If you show a message box or input box, show them in front (aka on top) of the windows. Currently they appear behind all the windows.
  8. Make it possible to provide no password. Currently when the password input box appears and you leave it blank, the log outputs "Missing or empty zip file".
  9. If there was an error in creating or updating the zip, do not attempt to open the FTP connection. It doesn't make sense to upload when there is nothing to upload. The backup process should be stopped after the zip error.
  10. If previously a password was entered but not remembered and a zipfile was created using that password, the next time you backup without entering a password the zipfile is either not successfully updated but no error is given or the previously entered password is used (didn't tested which was the case). Iether way this is bad/buggy behaviour.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-30-2005 05:01 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Ezra
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
I believe he uses cmd to make the reg file, so it's windows fault.
The rest are valid things :)

You've been REALLY debugging cookie :P

10-30-2005 01:42 PM
XgD

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: Settings Sync/Transferer/Backup
Wow, OK:

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Something I like to see changed from the setup:
  1. Show the log screen, don't skip on it (aka: don't automatically jump to the final "finish" page). Some people might like to know which files are installed where (like me), especially if you install 3rd party libraries in the user's system directory!

The installer was a default script for NIS... I'll write my own soon. (Actually, I remember seeing a plugin installer on mess.be a while ago which I might look for soon)

quote:
Some tips/pointers/requests:[*]Don't use external DLL's if you can avoid them. UNZDLL.DLL and ZIPDLL.DLL (a total of 240kb!) can be avoided if you include your own zip code in your delphi project. On the net you can find sources for this. Or you can even provide you own compression scheme.

This made things a lot easier. Is it so bad to have 240kb of DLL files? I would put them in the same folder as my DLL, but MsgPlus might have tried to read them as plugin DLLs, so I just put them in SYSTEM32. I'll change that in future though.

quote:
[*]Make the log window of your plugin not word-wrapped; it's hard to read.
[*]Make the log window at least resizeable.

Done

quote:
[*]Fix spelling mistakes and be consequent in the way a line is shown

The inconsistencies are due to the debug code being outputed by different components. I tried to link them up as best as possible, and I'll try to see what I can do. I can't see any spelling mistakes. Do you mean grammar?

quote:
And a few remarks/questions about this logging:
  • What does the "Duplicate filename removed" exactly mean?

It prints this if the reg/zip files still exist in C:\ from last time. These should only exist if the previous backup/restore failed

quote:
  • Why three times that same message?
  • Why is the new name the same as the old name?

• (1)It tries 3 times if the password is incorrect
    (2)The filename is the same each time (email@address.reg/zip)

quote:
  • Where are there spaced before "Adding me@blah.com.reg" and not before other sub-messages?

• These messages come from the Zip component

quote:
  • Why comes the message "Compressing file" before the "Duplicate" and "Adding" messages? This doesn't make sense, unless "Compressing file" actually means "Creating file" and the "Adding" actually means "Compressing".
  • What is the "trace: Temp Filename" used for?

• "Compressing File" signifies the start of the zip-creation routine. I'll word it better in the next version

quote:
    [*]Temporary files are not removed! (the reg and zip files)

They are (or should be) if the backup is successful

quote:
    [*]Do not store the reg files as version 5.00 files, but as version 4 files! This because your tool with otherwise not work on other OS's than XP/NT...

I can change the first line to "REGEDIT4" if that would be better?

quote:
    [*]If you show a message box or input box, show them in front (aka on top) of the windows. Currently they appear behind all the windows.

I think thats a bug with Delphi's stay-on-top code, but I'll look into it

quote:
    [*]Make it possible to provide no password. Currently when the password input box appears and you leave it blank, the log outputs "Missing or empty zip file".
    [*]If there was an error in creating or updating the zip, do not attempt to open the FTP connection. It doesn't make sense to upload when there is nothing to upload. The backup process should be stopped after the zip error.

Will Do

quote:
    [*]If previously a password was entered but not remembered and a zipfile was created using that password, the next time you backup without entering a password the zipfile is either not successfully updated but no error is given or the previously entered password is used (didn't tested which was the case). Iether way this is bad/buggy behaviour.[/list=1]

I'll look into it

Thanks

XgD
    10-30-2005 03:45 PM
    Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
    CookieRevised
    Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
    RE: RE: RE: Settings Sync/Transferer/Backup
    quote:
    Originally posted by XgD
    The installer was a default script for NIS... I'll write my own soon. (Actually, I remember seeing a plugin installer on mess.be a while ago which I might look for soon)
    It is also possible in NSIS to show this screen though.

I mean, it is shown already during the installation though, only the next (finish) screen is automatically shown when the installation finishes instead of waiting on the previous one until the user clicks "next". It should only be a matter of setting some option in the installer code.

quote:
    Originally posted by XgD
    quote:
    Don't use external DLL's if you can avoid them.
    This made things a lot easier. Is it so bad to have 240kb of DLL files? I would put them in the same folder as my DLL, but MsgPlus might have tried to read them as plugin DLLs, so I just put them in SYSTEM32. I'll change that in future though.
    (Y)...

Well, it's a waste of 240kb if you only use 2 specific relative small functions of these DLL's. Functions which you easly could be implemented directly into your program.

Though, it is indeed easier. But the fact that a program depends on 2 external DLL's of which you use only 1 function each and that those DLL's must be placed in the user's system directory is a bit "useless" and waste of space, for the lack of a better words.

Note that there are many many other free (un)zip DLL's which can do the job, which are a lot smaller and where the zipping and unzipping are the only functions inside 1 DLL.

As for putting them in the same directory of the plugins: If they aren't real plugins, Plus! will not load them. Anyways, you could also place them in a subdirectory of the plugins folder and link to them inside your code using the subpath instead of using only the DLL name.

But the best and most elegant solution would be to integrate your own (un)zipping code though...

PS: there are many other compression methods you could use also. Methods which are a lot easier to implement directly into your code and which are even free to use and well documented, etc... But I'm sure there are free to use delphi sources for (un)zipping.

quote:
    Originally posted by XgD
    The inconsistencies are due to the debug code being outputed by different components. I tried to link them up as best as possible, and I'll try to see what I can do.
    But you pass the strings to the log window in your own code, no? So you can pass whatever text you like, aka fix the text from those different components before you send them to the log window.

PS: this is indeed one of the big disadvantages if you depend on such 3rd party controls. But normally don't such controls output an error code also, which you can use to show your own error/debug texts?

quote:
    Originally posted by XgD
    I can't see any spelling mistakes. Do you mean grammar?
    corrected spelling mistake: (un)successfull
    And not really grammar though, but more the inconsistant and wrong use of comma's, periods, "...", spaces, cases, etc. It currently looks a bit messy IMHO.

quote:
    Originally posted by XgD
    quote:
    1) Why three times that same message?
    2) Why is the new name the same as the old name?
    (1)It tries 3 times if the password is incorrect
    (2)The filename is the same each time (email@address.reg/zip)
    1) But why trying three times? If it has failed the first time, it will fail the second and third time too, no?...
    2) I see, but then it doesn't make much sense to show "old name=blah // new name=blah" if they will always be the same anyways.

quote:
    Originally posted by XgD
    quote:
    Temporary files are not removed! (the reg and zip files)
    They are (or should be) if the backup is successful
    They should always be deleted IMHO or you will make people's root folder messy and full of redundant stuff (or any folder you put them in for that matter). The average Joe will even not know there were files left which he should delete.

Oh, since they are temporary files, maybe its better to create them in the temporary folder of windows. It is not always true that C:\ is writeable or even accessable.

Maybe also name the registry file in a unique way. An email address isn't really unique and as a matter of fact, your tool had overwritten one of my stored registry files which I also named as "me@mail.com.reg". Start by creating them in the temporary folder, this will almost avoid such things. Making the filename unique to your plugin (eg: "syncher me@mail.com.reg") would help a bit also.

In fact, the name can be random since the zip will always contain only 1 file anyways. And this filename, if you have a need for it, can be read out using your (un)zip DLL's.

As for the zipfile name itself, this can be really a true temporary random name as you can rename it during the FTP transfer. When you download it, you could rename it back to a true temporary random name to again avoid overwriting existing zips with the same name which the user created for its own use.

----

My personal approach to this, if I would create such a tool, would be to start by making my own compression algorithm. Or at least integrate it in my program code directly, so I have full control of what I write to what files. Thus I wouldn't have potential problems with overwriting existing stuff from the user, I wouldn't depend on 3rd party stuff, and I wouldn't have compatibily problems with different OS's:

Since the filename of the registry file isn't important at all (you get the email address of the zip file, not the reg file) this name doesn't matter and can be left out. What I mean is you can create your own compression format (or use an existing one) which doesn't care about what files are inside it, but only cares about the actual (compressed) data. You'll get the same effect when you strip a zipfile from its directory headers and stuff, and only leave the actual compressed data.

And as said before, this file is, when created, a temporary file. So it will have a true temporary filename (which you'll get by using the temporary file windows api's) and I would only rename it to the proper email address during the actual FTP transfer.

storing:
    1) Create a handle to a new temorary file in the temporary windows folder, naming it as a true temorary file (which is always unique).
    2) Read out the registry settings by using the windows api's (not reg.exe or regedit.exe)
    3) Compress this data (which is still in memory, I don't use any files to store it) using your own compression routine and store the result in the temporary file created in step 1.
    4) Transfer this temporary file to the ftp server and while doing this rename it to the proper "me@mail.com.dat" (I use dat extension here, since I created my own format)
    5) Delete the temporary file (successfull transfer or not)

reading/setting
    1) Transfer the proper filename, according to what the user has selected as his email address, from the FTP server to a true local temporary file in the temporary windows directory.
    2) Read out the data of that file, and decompress it so you'll get the registry data again (again, all this is just done in memory, nothing is saved or stored in files)
    3) Apply these settings to the registry
    4) Delete the temporary file (successfull transfer or not)

But that's what I would do... just an idea... ;)

quote:
    Originally posted by XgD
    quote:
    Do not store the reg files as version 5.00 files, but as version 4 files!
    I can change the first line to "REGEDIT4" if that would be better?
    Depends... the structure (or better: the syntax) of the files themselfs are a bit different also.

In the new version 5.0 there are some types and entries which aren't known in a version 4.0 file and must be written differently.

Also, if you do use "reg" to create these regisrty files, then change that also. "reg" isn't an available command in all Windows OS's, only in Windows 2000 and higher.

If you still want to use a DOS command, use "regedit.exe" instead, which is available in more Windows versions. And use the paramater "/e" (export):
    START /WAIT REGEDIT.EXE /E "c:\blah.reg" "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\blah"

But the best thing you can do and most compatible way is to query the registry yourself using the regisrty windows api's and make your own (REGEDIT4 compatible) reg file.

If that isn't possible, than reread the created registry file and if it is a version 5.0 registry file, convert it yourself to a version 4.0 file prior to zipping it. This is indeed done by replacing the header and this usually works in most cases. But in some cases you also need to convert some entries which aren't supported in a version 4.0 to a binary entry.

quote:
    Originally posted by XgD
    quote:
    if you show a message box or input box, show them in front (aka on top) of the windows. Currently they appear behind all the windows.
    I think thats a bug with Delphi's stay-on-top code, but I'll look into it
    Maybe, I don't know. But in any case, do not use "stay on top", use "show on top", there is a difference.

This post was edited on 10-30-2005 at 06:34 PM by CookieRevised.
    10-30-2005 06:30 PM
    absorbation
    Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
    This is a very good plugin i must say (y). I could not get it to work for me, I have provided a screenshot so you get an idea what it looks like for me :)

Suggestions:

First thing I noticed, the nsis installer is very professional and worked well, however I did not like how you skipped what files were views at the end. I also think you could skin the installer, I would help you if you wanted :)

Second you could make lanuage files for different languages
    Thrid, give more of a gui, maybe a logo for a more professional look :)

Otherwise I loved the plugin it was great (y)

[Image: attachment.php?pid=558566]

.jpg File Attachment: Untitled-4.jpg (35.04 KB)
    This file has been downloaded 610 time(s).
    10-30-2005 07:17 PM
    riahc4
    Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
    I wish Messenger Plus! had something like this itself. Instead of the sounds server, have a settings server. The sounds were just pretty much a trend and now almost everyone on my contact list has Plus! and its not really used anymore. Setting up a settings server would:
    1) Even reduce the load on the server further as much people wouldnt use this either unless they move around alot
    2) It be a great Plus! included feature and a way to further promote Plus! to other people.

What settings are transfered BTW? Some id like to see
    - Contacts on Desktop
    - Emoticions
    - DP
    - Prefrences
    - Font and its color/format

This post was edited on 11-01-2005 at 02:51 PM by riahc4.
    11-01-2005 02:47 PM
    CookieRevised
    Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
    quote:
    Originally posted by riahc4
    Setting up a settings server would:
    1) Even reduce the load on the server further as much people wouldnt use this either unless they move around alot
    How would a new feature in Plus! using a Plus! server, reduce load on the Plus! servers? It will increase load on the servers...

quote:
    Originally posted by riahc4
    What settings are transfered BTW?
    If you open the registry file inside the zip you'll see that all settings are saved which are under
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\<the_account_you_select>

This post was edited on 11-01-2005 at 03:29 PM by CookieRevised.
    11-01-2005 03:26 PM
    Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
    « Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
    View a Printable Version
    Send this Thread to a Friend
    Subscribe | Add to Favorites
    Rate This Thread: