What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » stereo sound?

stereo sound?
Author: Message:
streefkwak

O.P. Huh?  stereo sound?
Is there any way of keeping emotion sounds stereo? It seems that when adding these sounds to the library, it is converted to mono?

10-23-2005 02:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: stereo sound?
quote:
Originally posted by streefkwak
Is there any way of keeping emotion sounds stereo? It seems that when adding these sounds to the library, it is converted to mono?

no there is not. They are converted to be very small in file size :)
10-23-2005 02:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
streefkwak

O.P. RE: stereo sound?
OK, hmmm. 2 questions:

1. Except for the size, is there another fundamental reason not to support stereo? (i.e. I guess that if Patchou wants, MSG+! could support stereo)?

2 And the 'old' way of having soundpacks locally installed? That supported stereo sounds. Is that still supported in the new versions of MSG+! ?

Thx
10-23-2005 08:53 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
1. Except for the size, is there another fundamental reason not to support stereo? (i.e. I guess that if Patchou wants, MSG+! could support stereo)?
1) The size reason _is_ a very big issue.

2) Why stereo? 99,99999999% of all custom sounds don't need to be stereo at all. This feature isn't a "share your music" option, it is to play short sound clips. Sound clips which don't need stereo sound.

eg: What is the difference in a hearing a burp in stereo or hearing it in mono? Does the stereo add anything usefull to it? Has it a specific function? Nope... It only adds much more filesize, nothing more.

Quality isn't the most important in this custom sound feature. If you want quality than I suggest you send the original wave files to your contacts instead of using this feature.

And even if there was a stereo option, in almost all cases it wouldn't add anything more to the quality at all and the left and right channel would simply be a copy of each other. In other words it would simply be a double mono sound. In other words, waste of bandwidth as a true mono sound is played just the same way...

quote:
2 And the 'old' way of having soundpacks locally installed? That supported stereo sounds. Is that still supported in the new versions of MSG+! ?
What do you mean? There is nothing changed in how sounds are stored or created since the feature was first added. This goes also for how sounds are exported/imported from soundpacks.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-24-2005 12:29 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
Well, Cookie dramatizing again ;)

I'm not supporting the idea, but I understand there may be certain sound clips that are only funny/interesting if both channels are used. Also, not all sound should be stereo... The ones in mono stay in mono.

There could be a joint stereo option that reduced the total time by 2/3 or something like that with low quality. It wouldn't be very useful to me, but maybe it would for some.
10-24-2005 12:46 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
guanako
Veteran Member

ALbert0

37 / Male / Flag
isnt it like more quality= less recording time? and more recording time = less quality? stereo would be good but not as important, but if you are recording your voice why would u want it in stero?
[Image: guanako20.png]
10-24-2005 05:20 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
streefkwak

O.P. RE: stereo sound?
To all: Thanks for all the input. Sound quality is not the main issue, using stereo can be fun, using the left & right channel. But I guess this is a matter of taste.  And harddrive space couldn't be too big an issue I thought (hack, I would donate for an extra harddrive :-) ). However, I could imagine that having higher quality samples will increase the bandwidth of the connection to the person who you send the soundfile to. (or it would play with more delay). Maybe that's a bigger issue?

On question 2 I meant Audiator. With that plugin you could install sound libraries locally. However, I understand it does not work with the latest release of MSG+! ?

Thanks,

Steven
10-24-2005 06:41 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
The sixe of sound files is very important for bandwidth reasons (many people are still running on 56K and in those conditions, every KB count). However I agree that a Stereo option could be added and left as an option that would reduct the max allowed time in consequence. I'll keep it in mind (though it's not a very highly demanded option so it won't be for now, sorry :)).
[Image: signature2.gif]
10-24-2005 08:23 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: