What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Windows Firewall

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Windows Firewall
Author: Message:
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. Windows Firewall
Windows Firewall .. is it secure?

I use to have ZoneAlarm, but it got very annoying because it popped up every 2 minutes. Someone suggested to use Windows Firewall, so I did, and have been for a few months. Sometimes I worry that it's not secure enough.. don't know why..

I've tried many firewalls in the past but find they are annoying because they pop up all the time and i'd just rather have something that doesn't popup all the time [like Windows Firewall]

So my question is... Is Windows Firewall secure enough?

Do I need a program like ZA that is more secure?
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
10-25-2005 01:01 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
guanako
Veteran Member

ALbert0

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Windows Firewall
windos firewall has popusp too :P i think WFW is alrite as long as u know wat kind of stuff u do. i just moved to ZA security suite and set it to learning mode where once u tell it a certain program is secure it will remember and once u use every application that needs to be allowed you wont see any messages anymore (Y)
[Image: guanako20.png]
10-25-2005 01:33 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
EvilSeph
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Windows Firewall has been proven to be as secure as any other firewall. The only difference being that Windows Firewall only provides basic protection; isn't as sophisticated as other software firewalls - they offer outgoing protection and incoming protection, application modification detection, anti-tampering, intruder detection, packet monitoring etc.

Usually, Windows Firewall suffices for a home computer.

As for Zone Alarm, be careful what you do with it. I and a large number of people have had issues with it crippling your internet connection.

Curious, what the heck is WFW?
10-25-2005 03:11 AM
guanako
Veteran Member

ALbert0

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph

Curious, what the heck is WFW?

i abrebiated Windows FireWall :p
10-25-2005 03:13 AM
zach

33 / Male / Flag
Zone Alarm only has a few more pop ups compared to Windows Firewall and most of them will be the ones to allow programs to connect to the internet, just like the Windows Firewall has. If it's a program you trust, just tick "Remember this action"

To stop the common alerts popping up, open the control center and go to "Alerts and Logs". There, turn off information alerts.
10-25-2005 03:16 AM
EvilSeph
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Zone Alarm is so much more sophisticated than Windows Firewall. The "few more popups" you speak of are because you haven't delved into the advanced functionality of Zone Alarm. You could make it inspect each component used, rather than each program if you so wanted to.

If you turn off the alerts, then what's the point in using Zone Alarm or any other more-advanced firewall? Just use Windows Firewall. It does the job. It does it well. The alerts are a key part of what makes those other firewalls so powerful.
10-25-2005 03:31 AM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Windows Firewall
So you recon I should get ZA?
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
10-25-2005 04:18 AM
cardshark

Insanity at its Finest

40 / Male / –
I don't know about anyone else, but I had recently upgraded to the latest free version of ZA and kept getting an error and it telling me to restart my computer.  I uninstalled it and have been looking for something to replace it or some way to fix the issue since then. What is the comparison between WFW and ZA?
10-25-2005 06:20 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
guanako
Veteran Member

ALbert0

37 / Male / Flag
Windows XP includes a Firewall to protect your system against unwanted "visitors" from the
Internet , but it does not control connections from your system to the Internet ( to control
the "calling back home of XP" or a virus/worm trying to spread itself ).
To control outgoing connections, you need to install a non-Microsoft firewall, there are several
packages available on the web

more details
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/wxpzonea.html

10-25-2005 04:34 PM
Fourjays

Jaguar E-Type

36 / Male / –
I use Windows Firewall, behind a hardware router firewall too. Double security. Even before I had DSL and a router, I used Win Firewall.

Only time it gives me a pop-up, is when something tries to access, that hasn't been set as allowed/disallowed yet. ie: When I installedand ran  BF1942 for the first time, it popped up and asked "What do you want to do?". Hasn't popped up since. :p

Win Firewall DOES NOT block things from going out of your computer, only things coming in. So it will block a hacker from coming in, but will not stop a trojan from sending something out. Therefore I would only recommend Win Firewall on its own, if:

- You know what you are doing, and regularly run AV, Spyware and Adaware programs, and know how to spot a potentially harmful file, prior to downloading it.

AND/OR

- You already have a hardware firewall, and just want a little bit of extra protection.

[Image: msgsig7yx.jpg]
A new range of internet based services... Coming Soon(ish)! - www.fortheinter.net
10-25-2005 06:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: