What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Network Card Promiscuous Mode (I can't enable) EDIT: Added Paint Pic :P

Network Card Promiscuous Mode (I can't enable) EDIT: Added Paint Pic :P
Author: Message:
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. Network Card Promiscuous Mode (I can't enable) EDIT: Added Paint Pic :P
Hey

First Of All Click Here To See What Kind Of Network Card I Have

I am trying to play on Xlink Kai (since im banned on Xbox Live :dodgy:)

I have a Modded Xbox

With Xlink Kai UI (User Interface) on it. The program on the pc could have the engine and the UI. but I have the UI on the xbox. But thats not the issue here.

I am trying to setup with setup G.

quote:
Setup G: Wireless Cable / DSL Router + Wireless Bridge

The second of 4 compatible wireless setups is the use of hardware devices called wireless bridges. Similar to Setup F, these devices will allow you to place your console anywhere that the wireless router can pick up a signal.

Wireless Router's can attach consoles to a home network the instant they are turned on and provide ample security with the majority of wireless routers containing in-built hardware firewalls. If you discover that your wireless router's firewall is blocking traffic from other Kai users, you will need to perform a port-forward. More details on this are available in the FAQ (section 2.0 Networking and Firewall Questions).

Additionally, you will need to correctly setup your wireless settings via the XLink Kai Configuration Tool.

As a final word of warning, wireless connections can cause additional latency (lag) when playing online due to fluctuations in signal strength and quality.
[Image: networksetup_wirelessb.png]

Note: Wireless network cards that can perform in promiscuous mode are quite rare, and it is highly likely that your current wireless card will be incompatible. If you would like help on finding a wireless network card that can work in promiscuous mode, head over to our Official XLink Forums.

I have checked the forum.

The program can detect my Xbox. But when I atempt to join a game my connection goes on and off.

That means I dont have promiscuous mode. I cant find a network card with promiscuous nor do I have money for one. So I checked on Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB...=KB;EN-US;Q302348&

I did what they said

quote:
1.    At a command prompt, type netsh bridge show adapter.
2.    Locate the identification number of the NIC that is not responding.
3.    If the NIC is not in Compatibility mode, you can change it manually if you type the following command, where 1 is the number of the NIC that is displayed in the first step:
netsh bridge set adapter 1 forcecompatmode=enable
4.    Run the netsh bridge show adapter command again to verify that the ForceCompatabilityMode field for the NIC is displayed as Enabled.

I try to do netsh
It can find my network cards fine. But when I try to enable promiscuous mode it wont work. It just makes DOS freeze and unfreeze.

So In the End How can I enable promiscuous mode on my PC's network card.

And in a nutshell.

My Xbox connects to my pc via a wireless adapter. And my pc connects to the wireless router in the basement. The Xlink kai prog can detect it its just when I try to join a game it loses connection and regains multiple times till I exit the prog. So I need you guys to tell me another way to get promiscuous mode working.

Im really desperate for this,
SonicSam :)

edit: I think I just have the wrong setup. But I checked the others and this is the closest.

edit2: I added a pic I hope it isent har enoguh to understand because setup G isent what I need.

Blue: Wireless Connection
Red: Wired

edit 3:  made simpler pic

.png File Attachment: my way 2.png (30.89 KB)
This file has been downloaded 181 time(s).

This post was edited on 10-26-2005 at 01:46 AM by prashker.
10-26-2005 01:29 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
illuzn

00 Dodge Viper GTS-R

– / Male / –
RE: Network Card Promiscuous Mode (I can't enable) EDIT: Added Paint Pic :P
As the website states wireless networking cards that are capable of operating in promiscuous mode are very rare. This error probably means your wireless networking card is not capable of promiscuous mode. Check your manual.

In any case, why don't you use set-up A and just plug your console into the router using normal cable.

I also just noticed something else, set-up G depicts the console connecting to your router not your computer. So wouldn't you need to enable promiscuous mode on your router? Just a thought.
[Image: signature.jpg]
10-26-2005 02:30 AM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Network Card Promiscuous Mode (I can't enable) EDIT: Added Paint Pic :P
OK then how would I do that?

and also how can I make a wireless bridge between my pc and xbox ???
10-26-2005 02:57 AM
wj
Former Admin

I aim to misbehave.

39 / – / Flag
RE: Network Card Promiscuous Mode (I can't enable) EDIT: Added Paint Pic :P
libpcap and ethereal
"A towel is about the most massively useful
thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have."
10-26-2005 03:03 AM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Network Card Promiscuous Mode (I can't enable) EDIT: Added Paint Pic :P
ok I found ethereal and libpcap

but I have No idea what they do and what I do with em.
10-26-2005 11:19 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: