What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » file sharing on msn

file sharing on msn
Author: Message:
shaydock

O.P. file sharing on msn
can someone please tell me why i cannot access file sharing on msn anymore?

i really liked it

thanks

Simon
10-03-2005 01:07 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: file sharing on msn
What do you mean by 'File sharing on MSN'?
[Image: spartaafk.png]
10-03-2005 01:39 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
shaydock

O.P. RE: file sharing on msn
when you go into the msn chat window, and go to "activities", you used to be able to go into something called "file sharing"

that's not there anymore, it's just "msn photo swap" and "msn calender sharing"
10-03-2005 01:49 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Might be a regional thing...meaning it's available in some countries and in others it isn't. On mine it does have filesharing but not the calendar sharing.

Alternately you can use Plus! File Sharing
From Changelog:
The file sharing feature of Messenger Plus! was not that useful as is so it has been redesigned and file triggers have been added to it:
For each file entry you can set a different trigger (IRC like). A trigger is a message preceded by ! that, when sent by a contact, will automatically send the specified file on your behalf.
File triggers can have many uses. For example, if you just had found and downloaded a great program/music/video, you could advertise a trigger for it in your personal message.
An option (off by default) allows contacts to send a !listfiles trigger to get the list of every file you are currently sharing with triggers.
A simple flood protection is enforced by Messenger Plus! rejecting new requests that are sent too quickly.
I know some of you will request a password for this feature but in a way, they are already implicitly supported: a trigger can have up to 100 characters and can include spaces. So if you create a trigger "!myfile thepassword" you can advertise for it as "!myfile <add password here>".
For security reasons, file triggers do not work in chats with multiple contacts.
A /fileshare command has been added to access the file sharing panel.
Remember that Messenger is not a software designed for mass automatic file sharing. Messenger Plus! does not bypass any of the native protections of Messenger which means for example that if you are using Messenger 7, some file extensions will be forbidden (you can use the StuffPlug plugin or Windows Messenger to avoid that problem). Also, please remember that Messenger automatically limits the number of simultaneous file transfers, Messenger Plus! cannot do anything about it either.
Currently, up to 12 different files can be shared through this method.

You can reach this option by clicking the Plus! icon in the type in field or by typing /fileshare. Ofcourse your contact will need MsgPlus! aswell to be able to "browse" the files you share.

This post was edited on 10-03-2005 at 03:27 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
10-03-2005 03:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
pktastesgr8

i love this feature but i am having some problems. when my contacts type !listfiles it only shows the first 9 triggers and the 10th file only shows half the trigger while the 11th and 12th are not displayed at all. could someone please explain why this is.

and also is their a way of hosting more than 12 files, it would be worth while being able to host more than 12.

10-14-2005 08:01 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by pktastesgr8
i love this feature but i am having some problems. when my contacts type !listfiles it only shows the first 9 triggers and the 10th file only shows half the trigger while the 11th and 12th are not displayed at all. could someone please explain why this is.
The total combined text is probably too long to be displayed in one line...

Shorten your descriptions and/or triggers might solve it.

-

It is something which isn't impossible to fix in Plus! though (if the total combined text is longer than x -whatever the MSN limit is, dunno-, split it over multiple texts to send).

quote:
and also is their a way of hosting more than 12 files, it would be worth while being able to host more than 12.
No...

But, maybe in the future Patchou will increase this number, who knows. But also know that this file sharing feature is not meant as a (illegal) file sharing server thingy, and that's why Patchou has made it only 12 slots (for now).

This post was edited on 10-14-2005 at 07:53 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-14-2005 07:50 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
i love this feature but i am having some problems. when my contacts type !listfiles it only shows the first 9 triggers and the 10th file only shows half the trigger while the 11th and 12th are not displayed at all.
Turn on Plus!'s 'Boost message length', or the equivalent in SPNG.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
10-19-2005 01:50 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
pktastesgr8

thanks for all ur help peeps. so how would i go about getting the limit of 12 files changed?
10-30-2005 04:35 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
so how would i go about getting the limit of 12 files changed?
you can't

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
No...

But, maybe in the future Patchou will increase this number, who knows. But also know that this file sharing feature is not meant as a (illegal) file sharing server thingy, and that's why Patchou has made it only 12 slots (for now).
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-30-2005 05:14 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: