What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Feature Suggestion: Auto-reply (not what you think!)

Feature Suggestion: Auto-reply (not what you think!)
Author: Message:
aC23

– / Male / –
O.P. Feature Suggestion: Auto-reply (not what you think!)
I've searched the forums for a thread like this, and didn't find one. I always have a feeling of accomplishment when I'm the first to think of a new idea for Plus! :)

I'd like to see an Auto-Reply system in Plus!, kinda like the one in MessengerDiscovery. I've suggested it many times in the forums there, but no concrete answers have been given to me.

This is basically what it does:
User adds a word to the Auto-Reply wordlist such as "hi" for example, and a response of "what's up"

Example:

SomeGuy says: hi
Me says (automatically): what's up

And a '|' would seperate the different types of responses given to a word.

i.e: I add the word "hi" to the Auto-Reply word list, and add the following to the response list:  what's up | how are you | how's it going?   etc

And as a last feature, a '*' would be the wildcard.
i.e: I add the word "hi*" to the word list, and a response of "what's up"
This would mean that even if the user says "hi sdkjfdsjsdfhfsdkjhf" it would still recognize the Auto-Response and say it "what's up"

Note: the * would be able to go before or after the intended word(s).

This post was edited on 10-27-2005 at 04:29 PM by aC23.
10-27-2005 04:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Feature Suggestion: Auto-reply
Well i doubt patchou would do it as he belives plus is getting bloated so inly big features get added ;) however it should be a simple plugin to make. There could already be a bot that does it :)

Try searching ;)
10-27-2005 04:29 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aC23

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Feature Suggestion: Auto-reply (not what you think!)
Bloated? I don't think that's the right term to use. Feature-rich, that's more like it. What's wrong with more features? Just makes Plus! more popular, more original. New features rock!
10-27-2005 04:31 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Feature Suggestion: Auto-reply (not what you think!)
quote:
Originally posted by aC23
Bloated? I don't think that's the right term to use. Feature-rich, that's more like it. What's wrong with more features? Just makes Plus! more popular, more original. New features rock!

Patchou's view it is. He would like to keep the program on a high note rather than a bloated buggy program. He made a thread saying should i stop adding features that are not important ;)

And tabbed chatting maybe removed with the new msn 8 as we can see from what one of the programmers said here:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/IMUnplugged/
10-27-2005 04:34 PM
aC23

– / Male / –
I haven't noticed ANY bugs since I first downloaded Plus! version 2. Besides, I think this would be a useful feature. It's great for annoying small-talk :D
Think about it, a convo starts with "hi, how are u..blah blah"  it's the person already knows what you're gonna say, so why not save you the trouble of typing it? Not to mention that this is great since I like to keep my contacts entertained with little facts.

Example:

SomeGuy says: @fact1
Me says: Did you know that there are billions of germs in your mouth right now? (or some other informative fact :P)

EDIT: the removal of tabbed chats would only reinforce the idea of having something made up for it, i.e this feature :P

This post was edited on 10-27-2005 at 04:43 PM by aC23.
10-27-2005 04:42 PM
DJKAL

33 / Male / –
i think this is a really cool feature - would save lots of effort with the annoying convo starts! i think it should be added!
"You don't sleep, you defragment!"
10-27-2005 06:53 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
And tabbed chatting maybe removed with the new msn 8 as we can see from what one of the programmers said here:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/IMUnplugged/
May i remind you that versions of MSNM 7.5 and up are for newer Os'es only (XP and up)! So i don't think the tabbed chats would go...please don't spread things Patchou never said. Don't even assume things, stick to the facts please.

This post was edited on 10-27-2005 at 07:06 PM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
10-27-2005 07:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
aC23,

That request has been made several times in the past and is very old. One of the reasons, back then, was that there is no easy way for Plus!, and thus for a plugin, to know when something is send from your contact  only. Also, Plus! only triggers events for plugins when a specific plugin command is send, not when random text is send to you.

Now, this said, Plus! has evolved since then and there are things like triggers build in which react on text in the conversation (eg: the word filters), but still no events are fired for plugins for these non-plugin commands.

I mention plugins here because these are the things which would be the (almost) first choice to make something for this; not Plus! itself.

Why not Plus! itself? Because this feature is much more complicated and involves much to many variables and settings which you can make to be included in Plus!. eg: the amount of features currently in Plus! aren't even close to what you can do which such new feature (and you don't have to make this new feature even complicated for that)...

Because this feature you request is actually what people call BOTS... They react on things you send. And as it happens, there are many bot frameworks already available. eg: "Bot Developers Kit available! (Update 16-05)"

And if that doesn't suite you, you could always make your own bot/plugin for this.

--------

Thus, after said all this, I highly doubt something like that will be added in Plus!; it would be too much and indeed to bloated to put this directly into Plus!....
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-27-2005 10:53 PM
aC23

– / Male / –
Quite a disappointment, if you ask me :(
I know Cookie is usually the voice of reason.
It's too bad we most probably won't see this feature integrated into Plus!. I just thought it would be the user-friendliest Auto-Reply out there (or rather, "bot")
10-28-2005 02:00 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by aC23
Quite a disappointment, if you ask me :(
I know Cookie is usually the voice of reason.
It's too bad we most probably won't see this feature integrated into Plus!. I just thought it would be the user-friendliest Auto-Reply out there (or rather, "bot")
Well, never say never... I mean, Patchou is always the one to decide of course.

I just say what I think about it after thinking about the consequences, how other related stuff might work, based upon previous things I've seen, heared or read, while thinking about what people might suggest more after a requested feature would be integrated, thinking about pros & cons, how I think it would be made/integrated/etc, based upon experience, etc etc... to share my experience so to speak; to let the requester see another point of view or a deeper point of view...

That doesn't mean I'm always right though (and also doesn't always mean I wouldn't like the feature personally)! It wouldn't be the first time when I say "not likely" or "useless" and Patchou's says "nice stuff, I'll add it immediatly" or something like that...

What I often reply to such feature requests are mostly still guesses... seriously calculated and "thought thru" guesses though... but they are still guesses non the less...

So, who knows... maybe Patchou might add such a "bot" one day...

This post was edited on 10-28-2005 at 02:15 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-28-2005 02:11 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: