What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » A little idea

A little idea
Author: Message:
davehcooper

38 / Male / –
O.P. A little idea
I use custom names for all my contacts, I think it is one of the best features of Plus! but one thing that annoys me is Messengers little messages saying "Whoever may not reply because his or her status is set to away".
Would it not be possible to add a little feature that allows users to custom set the gender of each contact, so the message would read for example
"James may not reply because his status is set to away" or
"Jane may not reply because her status..."

This would of course also apply to all the messages such as Busy, Offline, Br right back, On the phone etc

Just a little thought, would anybody into writting plugins like to attempt it?
10-27-2005 06:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
RE: A little idea
that would probably require patching MSN, rather than a plugin (like a-patch or mess-patch)
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
10-27-2005 06:13 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Caboose

35 / Male / –
I think it would require more work then that. You can change the text globally for MSN by patching, but not for each individual contact (as far as I know).

I'm not sure if a plugin would work, either :undecided:

This post was edited on 10-27-2005 at 06:16 PM by Caboose.
10-27-2005 06:15 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
This request has been made in the past also.

This is however not possible to do automatically since there is no "gender" indication anywhere, not in MSN Messenger, not in Plus!...

However, as Caboose already said, you could alter the text globally, thus for all your contacts (if you find the current text to long or something). This is called patching (or "resource hacking", as it is one of the text resources you need to change)....

--------

In theory: To make this per contact changeable, it would require a special plugin or addon which constantly updates this resource according to whom you open a conversation with.

In practice: very very difficult to do. Simply because:
1) There is no "gender" field anywhere (but this could be added by the new addon/feature of course).
2) Resources are loaded only once! This means the resource text is only loaded when msn messenger starts. Even when you are able to update this resource text, msn messenger will not "reload" it.
3) Even if you could let msn messenger reload this text resource, there would be many, many pitfalls to conquer as the feature must constantly check for which conversation window (and thus contact) it is operating in, catch when the text is going to show, grab the memory address (which can change from time to time) to be updated, etc... etc...

I can see some solutions for each problem. But they aren't elegant, or they will not work 100%, or whatever...

Thus with all this said, I don't think something complicated like that _and_ for something so small, will be created. Unless there is some mighty boring plugin/addon developper out there...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-27-2005 11:07 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
davehcooper

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: A little idea
Thats a shame, but thanks for the replies.
As I have no idea about programming it is interesting to read about the problems with the idea. Maybe I will think of something else in the future that isnt nearly as complicated to change!
10-28-2005 11:48 AM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
You just want to remove that yellow bar right?

Download A Patch and select that option

This post was edited on 10-28-2005 at 12:45 PM by absorbation.
10-28-2005 12:45 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
davehcooper

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: A little idea
I have nothing against the bar its self, its the "his or her" bit of it that annoys me.
10-28-2005 12:49 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: