What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Suggestion: Identifying contacts who are appearing offline.

Suggestion: Identifying contacts who are appearing offline.
Author: Message:
surfer

O.P. Suggestion: Identifying contacts who are appearing offline.
Do you think it's possible to have an extra feature where you would be able to know who's using the "Appear Offline" status on MSN? :P Just a thought, if this idea has been asked, answered, or there is actually a patch or something that does this, i would love to know. Thank you :)
10-29-2005 08:45 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Nitemistress

Do your parents know you read this?

66 / Female / –
RE: Suggestion: Identifying contacts who are appearing offline.
The only way I know of is by using the 'open conversation' notification in Stuffplug. My mother has a tendency to sit in the 'show offline' mode most of the time yet the open conversation notifier always lets me know when she's on when the initial connection to retrieve display pic information is made.

Hope that made sense.
10-29-2005 08:51 PM
Weyzza
Veteran Member

SoCal sunset > *

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Nitemistress
the open conversation notifier always lets me know when she's on when the initial connection to retrieve display pic information is made.
I thought the messenger client won't retrieve the contacts' display pictures when one is appearing offline.

And isn't appearing offline kinda similar to blocking someone?
If one appears offline, MSN protocol should not be sending any kind of notifications, including display pictures.

To check this: appear offline, and then open a convo window of a contact whose DP has not been shown on your computer. Messenger should not be showing the DP

Edit: Another thing: isn't it a breach of privacy? :-/
I mean, I must have a reason appearing offline; no one should know and need to know that I'm appearing offline.

This post was edited on 10-29-2005 at 09:16 PM by Weyzza.
Registered 7641 days, 9 hours, 8 minutes, 32 seconds ago.
Happy Birthday, WDZ

10-29-2005 09:08 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Nitemistress

Do your parents know you read this?

66 / Female / –
I'm don't know the ins and outs of it all but I do know that if my mother is sitting in the 'appear offline' mode that if I sign in the 'open conversation' notifier will come saying she has opened a conversation with me and I know that it's simply her messenger connecting with mine to retrieve the display pic/contact card info. I know it tends to take away from the fact that you may not want your contacts to know you're 'online' per se but that is also why, to at least some extent, it also works as a block checker. I've had numerous notifications that 'x' contact has opened a conversation, some who I've deleted from the list but not blocked so ... yeah. I guess the only ones who will know are the ones using Stuffplug. Personally I like it but then only about 3 of my contacts use Stuffplug. Just can't seem to convince the others of the extra options of using it and Plus! *fools!*
10-29-2005 10:23 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: