What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Bloating?

Bloating?
Author: Message:
aC23

– / Male / –
O.P. Bloating?
So what's this I hear of Patchou being afraid Plus! will be bloated? Does that mean there won't be any new features in future versions? I think what makes Plus! unique is the amount of features it has. If you don't use some of the features, so what? It's not costing you (the user) anything. Sure, Patchou is the one that has to write the code and all, but that's what he's here for, to make the best add-on around!

Plus! is like Sugar Crisp. You can never get enough. :)
10-30-2005 03:19 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Bloating?
Bloating means adding features which wont be used by most people. Or features which are useless because you can do it already in another way. Or things which will annoy most people. Or not really needed stuff because it is already available in other addons or even stand alone programs (eg: that notepad request thingie which was made lately).

The power, uniqueness and usefullness of Plus! is exactly that it isn't bloated with useless stuff like that or features which don't work for most people (eg: like messenger discovery x, no pun intended).

A good piece of software does not contain as much features as possible. Less is more...

If all the stuff that was suggested over the years was added you now would have an addon which is 20Mb big (so to speak), and contains 90% of useless stuff or stuff which doesn't work for most people anyways. Also, the preferences would be seriously chaotic and contain 100 pages of settings which nobody could understand anymore.

This does not mean there wont be new features. It means that each suggestion that is made is carefully concidered and only added if it has a usefull potential and be used by thousands/millions of people, not by a few.

;)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-30-2005 03:32 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Plugins are for the little things we want, i'll find the thread by pathou named "Messenger Plus! Furture" when he said he may of reached it's peak.

Edit: I found it ;)

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=48155&pid=502776

This post was edited on 10-30-2005 at 11:09 AM by absorbation.
10-30-2005 11:05 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aC23

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Bloating?
I was thinking. MSN is starting to implement a lot of Plus!'s features..Plus won't need to add those features anymore, so they can be removed. That said, the missing features can be replaced by new ones, and voila! Plus isn't bloated :)
12-14-2005 04:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Certainly for Messenger Plus! Live, there may not be a need for the Custom Names: MSN are considering putting that into WLM IIRC.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
12-14-2005 06:32 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Messenger Plus! Live will not be bloated. However, the feature list for the software is still not fixed considering Microsoft did a great effort this time in WLM to add many of the features people haver requested for a long time (like custom names).

My first goal is to add back all the features that still have some purpose in Live Messenger, I'll think about adding new ones after that. What will be in the first public release will only depend on when Live Messenger will be released.
[Image: signature2.gif]
12-15-2005 06:45 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: