What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » chat archiving

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
chat archiving
Author: Message:
l8rg8r

O.P. chat archiving
today is a new month (november), october doesnt have any log folder in fact this is the second year this has happened, I started using this june of 2004, as this is the oldest chat log folder i have, and this is the second year october hasnt been saved, in fact i cant find using an unerase program the chat logs anywhere, this is a very large bug in the program, if anyone has any ideas on this please feel free to advise me, but before you ask if i have all the setting right, yes i have it set to make folders for each month, archive chats and events and all the other good things.
thank you for your help
11-01-2005 01:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: chat archiving
I can't realy verify this as I previously fiddled with my logs a bit, so it is possible that the not saving was due to my part.

However, this doesn't go for all the logs I have/had.

Some chats I had lately (in late october) with a few people where well after I had fiddle (tested) something with the logs (begin october). They are indeed not saved to a new "october 2005" folder. The eventslog is also reset and starts at 1/11.

But I also can't verify if the logs where created in the main log directory during october in the first place, because I didn't looked at it since begin october until now. Chatting with someone now (november) does create a log in the main log folder though.

So, at the least, I can indeed say there is something going on (or better: not going on?) and more testing needs to be done to pinpoint it exactly.

This said, I do have folders for october 2003 and 2004 (but can't verify if I created them or if Plus! created them)...

EDIT1: what I also just notice now is that the archived event logs for various months contain some lines for the next months also. => EDIT3: this is a small timing issue according to Patchou.

------------------------

EDIT2: Sunshine PM'ed me about this. She has the same problem as me: she can't confirm this with 100% certainty due to fiddling, but she also doesn't have an october folder either.

However she noticed that all the october logs are put in the september folder! And this is indeed also what happened with my logs after verifying this... And logs with the same name are renamed to email@server.com.txt.1.txt

This is however nothing new and apparently a very old bug, since my october 2004 logs are indeed also in the september 2004 folder. (though can't verify if this also was the case for the september 2003 folder; I may have moved the logs from there manually)...

I also have no clue what-so-ever as of why this could happen. The best guess I can make is it has something to do with the double digit in october (10) apposed to the single digit in september (9) internally, but this guess can be way off.

(EDIT3 => and one of my other guesses was it had something todo with DST, but since it was unlikely at first sight I deleted that from this post again... now it seems it has something todo with it afterall, for some stuff :P still, doesn't explain why "october" wasn't created)

pfff I really don't know..., and thus I'm very curious in hearing from Patchou about this and why it happens.

This post was edited on 11-01-2005 at 07:46 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-01-2005 03:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Thanks for the report. I've fixed the code to make sure it won't happen again. Note that your logs will never be deleted automatically, they may just be moved to an incorrect folder. This will be fixed in the next release.
[Image: signature2.gif]
11-01-2005 07:29 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
krystalevenstar

35 / Female / –

I moved them from the September folder to a New October folder, and like you said, they ones with the same name have been renamed. How do I open these to be able to read them... They were encrypted so when I try to open them with Word pad, they're all messed up. And if I set them to open with Messenger Plus, the custom sound import window comes up?
~Kes
11-01-2005 09:27 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by krystalevenstar
I moved them from the September folder to a New October folder, and like you said, they ones with the same name have been renamed. How do I open these to be able to read them...
rename them back to the original name (by removing the ".1.txt" part) so you have again "mail@blah.com.txt" (if they are not encrypted) or "mail@blah.com.ple" (if they are encrypted).

quote:
Originally posted by krystalevenstar
And if I set them to open with Messenger Plus, the custom sound import window comes up?
You shouldn't fiddle with the extensions and associations if you don't know exactly what you're doing! Chances are that they are now messed up because of this. To fix this reinstall Messenger Plus!.

This post was edited on 11-01-2005 at 09:40 PM by CookieRevised.
11-01-2005 09:36 PM
superjugy

I'm MegaMan Master, see my website!!

35 / Male / Flag
wtf, really funny bug. if you didnt tell me i wouldnt notice.
11-01-2005 09:41 PM
krystalevenstar

35 / Female / –

All of them are already named with the extention .ple

Also, after re-installing Msn plus, I still cannot open these files.
~Kes

This post was edited on 11-01-2005 at 10:54 PM by krystalevenstar.
11-01-2005 09:43 PM
l8rg8r

O.P. RE: chat archiving
thank you everyone that replied to this thread
11-01-2005 11:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
I aslo have some november logs in my september folder :S, and now they are named <email>.com.ple.2
[Image: 1-0.png]

11-01-2005 11:50 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
I aslo have some november logs in my september folder :S, and now they are named <email>.com.ple.2
Yes, it happens to other months as well. But only the "october" directory is the one which isn't created*.

Part of the issue is a DST (daylight saving time) bug, part of the issue has to be yet identified.

* Note to others: it is well possible that with you the october directory is created and everything works as it should though.

This post was edited on 11-01-2005 at 11:59 PM by CookieRevised.
11-01-2005 11:57 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: